Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t mind the AFLX turning into a two team All Star Game thing similar to tonight but with fan voting and all that. Although it might not be worth doing a two team thing with small teams and short games.
I’m aware this concept is similar to what they just did yesterday but the fan voting would mean no players like Zac Fisher and better players all around.

Wouldn’t mind the AFLX turning into a two team All Star Game thing similar to tonight but with fan voting and all that. Although it might not be worth doing a two team thing with small teams and short games.
I’m aware this concept is similar to what they just did yesterday but the fan voting would mean no players like Zac Fisher and better players all around.

I don't mind the idea of an All-Star Match (obviously proper rules though, definitely not AFLX). Not sure about dividing teams, but this would be a start:

East: Adelaide, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong Cats, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Western Bulldogs,
West: Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorn, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney

Fans could vote for East and West using the players from either side. The teams would be pretty even, and the matchup possibilities are mouthwatering: Dangerfield vs Martin, Bontempelli vs Cripps, Gawn vs Grundy, Kennedy vs Franklin.

The other way would be having two captains (a la the current NBA set up) and having a draft like the AFLX:

Team Dangerfield vs Team Fyfe
Team Gawn vs Team Grundy

Along with not having names on the back of jumpers, the lack of an Origin/All Star match is what is keeping the AFL behind the top American leagues. Not saying that we should copy everything, but there's no harm in implementing the things they do well to make our league better

Along with not having names on the back of jumpers, the lack of an Origin/All Star match is what is keeping the AFL behind the top American leagues. Not saying that we should copy everything, but there's no harm in implementing the things they do well to make our league better
Ask NFL fans if they give two shits about the Pro-Bowl. The only all star game in the US that works is the NBA one and the only reason that it appears that way is because it is pretty much an individual sport that just happens to be played on teams. Basically, no one really cares if they're not watching the Lakers as long as they get to see Lebron.

That thing they had with all the players walking into the stadium last night wearing suits, sunglasses inside and riding boosted boards gives you an idea about how cringe trying to americanise AFL looks and should serve as a warning not to try anything like it in the future, if you want that crap, go be a basketball fan. For me (and most fans I would assume, although this thread would suggest otherwise) the AFLX is everything that I hate about the current direction of football, I'm much more excited for today where I get to watch the crows u/23's and the women's team go around in the tri colours, playing for the jumper rather than their egos.

Also, they tried the names on the back before and it was a massive fail and I can't see how adding them will make us 'catch up' to the major leagues in the US (if that is something that you believe we have to do to begin with).

At the end of the day, the amount of TV viewers (tuning in just to see what the hell it is) and 22,000 attendees will be enough for the AFL to reckon this was a huge success and we'll get this for many years to come.

Just give us some bloody footy...

The players were saying last night that they want rep footy to return.

State of Origin is the obvious one and it could happen with a fan based selection process.

It could be played over a weekend or a lightning state of origin premiership?

Personally I would love to see the players battle it out, Mad Max Thunderdome style. Each team selects their most worthy fighter (Lynden Dunn for us I'd say) and whatever team wins gets 4 points to start the season. Take note Gil.

Personally I would love to see the players battle it out, Mad Max Thunderdome style. Each team selects their most worthy fighter (Lynden Dunn for us I'd say) and whatever team wins gets 4 points to start the season. Take note Gil.
Gaff would be in demand no doubt.

I don't mind a two team thing. The first game or two were interesting but for mine it got pretty boring pretty quickly.
Go all out with the NBA all star thing and have other competitions in the spirit of the slam dunk comp and the like (super boot, 50m shootout, handball contest etc.) to flesh out the night. I'd be kind of interested in that.

I don't mind a two team thing. The first game or two were interesting but for mine it got pretty boring pretty quickly.
Go all out with the NBA all star thing and have other competitions in the spirit of the slam dunk comp and the like (super boot, 50m shootout, handball contest etc.) to flesh out the night. I'd be kind of interested in that.

Love that idea - even go for a weekend-long idea. Maybe a Legends Match or 22under22 on Friday, skills on the Saturday and All-Star on the Sunday?

The time it takes for images to load on BF is giving me a migraine. Have to reload threads several times just for the image to finally render fully. Must be something to do with the update because it was never this bad for me.
I've noticed when loading photos on my phone, the image should load when it gets to 100% But I've seen it get to 845% before it loaded haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Fight MND's campaign this year revolving around the selling of socks to raise funds, I have a slight hunch that maybe for the Queen's Birthday game Coll vs Melb will be wearing blue promotional socks. No source but I could see them doing something like that and even auctioning the socks off if people are into that. Have a bit of a sock collection going on so might grab a couple of pairs.
https://fightmnd.org.au/events/2019-sockit2mnd/

Does anyone happen to have the little jumper images that I've seen around here before (like the one listed below)? I've got a couple of Pies and Eagles ones that I used for the possible Grand Final jumper matchups but I've got no idea where I found them.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 5.37.50 pm.png

In the JLT thread I was trying to describe jumper match ups and made an absolute meal of it, pictures would help immensely

I am starting up a tipping comp at my work and just trying to find the best way to share the prize fund?

I was hoping to have 1st, 2nd, 3rd and possibly winner each round or 8 in a week?

I am starting up a tipping comp at my work and just trying to find the best way to share the prize fund?

I was hoping to have 1st, 2nd, 3rd and possibly winner each round or 8 in a week?
Depends how many people are going to be in it. What's your predicted amount?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back