Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Have been wanting to start up an AFL themed channel on YouTube for over a year now and my finally do so after Year 12. Though I'm inspired by the reach Caden gets and how much bigger his channel has grown since I first saw his videos, I find a fair chunk of the videos to be repetitive and normie.
Nothing on him, probably a good bloke just making content that gets him views, completely understandable.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Ouch. That poor historic, now ruined guernsey. That embroidery job isn't great either... You can't do that to a priceless guernsey like that.

P.S. Gibbsy your reaction was my thoughts exactly.
Screenshot_20190702-125436_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190702-125607_Facebook.jpg

Ouch. That poor historic, now ruined guernsey. That embroidery job isn't great either... You can't do that to a priceless guernsey like that.

P.S. Gibbsy your reaction was my thoughts exactly.
View attachment 702085View attachment 702084

Saw that on Facebook too. I guess if the owner is happy, that's what's important

But I will admit that I nearly fainted when they confirmed it was a genuine retail. Personally I don't think I could ever bring myself to sew over a jumper like that

Have been wanting to start up an AFL themed channel on YouTube for over a year now and my finally do so after Year 12. Though I'm inspired by the reach Caden gets and how much bigger his channel has grown since I first saw his videos, I find a fair chunk of the videos to be repetitive and normie.
Nothing on him, probably a good bloke just making content that gets him views, completely understandable.
There is a lack of good quality AFL fan content out there on youtube. Surprised someone hasn't gone really hard at trying to make an Arsenal fan TV rip off, capturing some of the more unique characters you find at the footy.

There is a lack of good quality AFL fan content out there on youtube. Surprised someone hasn't gone really hard at trying to make an Arsenal fan TV rip off, capturing some of the more unique characters you find at the footy.

I think it's the void that Caden's trying to fill, but unfortunately the market is just not big enough for AFL channels.

Caden MacDonald's channel has 31,887 subscribers. The official AFL Kids (called Aussie Rules on YT) channel (which get plenty of plugs in the Record each week) has 15,848. Amberley Lobo's channel (which is linked to AFL Kids) has 280 subscribers. TWISTIE3 (who ventures into other sports and mostly video games) has 37,730.

In comparison, Georgia Productions (an Australian comedic YouTuber) has 581,574 subscribers and has just wrapped up a national live show tour

There's this youtube channel called "UrinatingTree" who makes these videos analysing NFL/NBA team in a funny and entertaining way. SBNation also has several sport series covering topics of interesting weird rules, high scores and the collapse of various American sport powerhouses.

There's a completely untapped market on this kind of content for AFL, which is a direction I'd like to take given enough time.
Speaking of time, I actually began making a video called "Haters Guide to the 2017 AFL Finals", a parody of that UrinatingTree's videos going through all the teams who made the finals with an overall comical tone, though I never got around to doing it. Maybe this year will be different :)

I'm basically trying to capture that AFL Meme culture (borderline Shitposting) crowd. Will probably turn out cringe.

There's this youtube channel called "UrinatingTree" who makes these videos analysing NFL/NBA team in a funny and entertaining way. SBNation also has several sport series covering topics of interesting weird rules, high scores and the collapse of various American sport powerhouses.

There's a completely untapped market on this kind of content for AFL, which is a direction I'd like to take given enough time.
Speaking of time, I actually began making a video called "Haters Guide to the 2017 AFL Finals", a parody of that UrinatingTree's videos going through all the teams who made the finals with an overall comical tone, though I never got around to doing it. Maybe this year will be different :)

I'm basically trying to capture that AFL Meme culture (borderline s**tposting) crowd. Will probably turn out cringe.

So basically you wanna be the footy version of Bev.

Are you sure you want to be the footy version of Bev?

Does Bev do that? I don't watch him so I wouldn't know exactly.
These are the sort of videos I'm talking about (with an obvious reduction in quality):

I thought Bev was the footy version of Bev, apparently he's a Dogs fan

He did become well-known because of his crazy Hurricanes reactions though

I think it's the void that Caden's trying to fill, but unfortunately the market is just not big enough for AFL channels.

Caden MacDonald's channel has 31,887 subscribers. The official AFL Kids (called Aussie Rules on YT) channel (which get plenty of plugs in the Record each week) has 15,848. Amberley Lobo's channel (which is linked to AFL Kids) has 280 subscribers. TWISTIE3 (who ventures into other sports and mostly video games) has 37,730.

In comparison, Georgia Productions (an Australian comedic YouTuber) has 581,574 subscribers and has just wrapped up a national live show tour
If you're going to make the most bland, generic, non offensive content imaginable, of course you're going to get more subscribers. 30k definitely shows that there is an audience there and I'd say that you're actually doing pretty well if you're someone like Twistie, who has made the move to twitch where you can make a fair bit of coin while creating relatively niche content.

If you're going to make the most bland, generic, non offensive content imaginable, of course you're going to get more subscribers. 30k definitely shows that there is an audience there and I'd say that you're actually doing pretty well if you're someone like Twistie, who has made the move to twitch where you can make a fair bit of coin while creating relatively niche content.

In terms of becoming successful on YouTube though, 30,000 subscribers isn't sustainable, especially if the YouTuber is hoping to earn money from videos. And plenty of those are 'ghost subscribers': Caden's videos tend to have between 15-25k viewers with a few outliers.

If the creator just enjoys making videos, then 30k subscribers is massive. But if they're actually looking to grow their image and their channel, then the topics and the market may be too niche

In terms of becoming successful on YouTube though, 30,000 subscribers isn't sustainable, especially if the YouTuber is hoping to earn money from videos. And plenty of those are 'ghost subscribers': Caden's videos tend to have between 15-25k viewers with a few outliers.

If the creator just enjoys making videos, then 30k subscribers is massive. But if they're actually looking to grow their image and their channel, then the topics and the market may be too niche
He's got some sort of job at KIIS FM and if he continues to gain traction, I wouldn't be surprised if teams/AFL start approaching him to do some AFL Kids content or something of that kind.

He's got some sort of job at KIIS FM and if he continues to gain traction, I wouldn't be surprised if teams/AFL start approaching him to do some AFL Kids content or something of that kind.

He's starting to build a connection with the AFL, him and his mate Yungking Cookson partnered with the league and Virgin Australia to fly around the country and watch five matches in Round 6. If it's stuff in the media that he's wanting to do, then he's well and truly on the right path

From what I've seen, Lobo's got AFL Kids covered

As long as we're on the topic of AFL YouTuber's, Cados' new video has just come out:

This is how he ranks the logos:

This is how I rank them:

Any thoughts? The link to make your own tier is here: https://tiermaker.com/create/afl-logos-43677

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
As long as we're on the topic of AFL YouTuber's, Cados' new video has just come out:

This is how he ranks the logos:

View attachment 702473

This is how I rank them:

View attachment 702474

Any thoughts? The link to make your own tier is here: https://tiermaker.com/create/afl-logos-43677

Mine:
my-image.png

Swans: Everything that it represents is so good. The opera house, the Bloods' V and the nickname.

Blues: Love it, but sometimes it looks too wide to me.
Saints: Timeless. Classy.
Eagles: The best effort for a bird head logo.

Bombers: Has been around so long, but is only now starting to show its age.
Tigers: (On second thought I should have put this under C). Nothing offensively bad, but just not great.
Pies: Good update to their older logo, but they should have used the older, meaner magpie on their 150th logo.
Giants: Their whole branding is underrated, the logo's no exception.
Dockers: Good shield, good monogram, good idea executed well.
Demons: Monograaaam. But the shield is a bit off for me. Bring back the mid 2000s logo with the Demon and the fire that looks like an M.
Port: Like the Sydney logo, can see what it represents but not as good. And like the Essendon logo, update time.

Crows: Generic bird head, dislike the two tone blue.
Cats: Alright. Weird inclusion of the cat in the hoops. The secondary logo is at least an A though.
Lions: Again, meh. But so much better than their 2000s gradient-infested logo.
Hawks: Meh.
Bulldogs: Cricket Australia shield, the doggo is average too.

GC: Self explanatory
North: Pretty shitty all round.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

I'm basically trying to capture that AFL Meme culture (borderline s**tposting) crowd. Will probably turn out cringe.
This video was timed well

As a sidenote Calo, can you possibly change your bio pic? Giving me nightmares atm :'(

Back