Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
In a different topic.

My kids catch the bus from Mentone.

Today there were inspectors opposite the station.

Apparently nearly 2/3 of the students immediately got off the bus.

And some don't even have a myki card, let alone touch on.

Really makes me question what their parents are about and what sort of values they are teaching their kids.

Role models my arse...
My wife tells me that people get busted on mass on a semi regular basis and that some people at her work say that on average just coping a few fines a year is cheaper than paying.

Just on the system itself, I have never used it so it’s a long time since I used public transport. Here are my issues with it as an outsider if you like. I hear countless reports of the light rail and busses my lot catch shorting the trip, for example the Monash bus turning around just after Ormond station or the lightrail shunting back at Fitzroy street. Despite this foreign companies are paid a bloody fortune and receive bonus payments despite regularly not meeting the targets set.

I can’t believe any government would allow a system to be set up where you can’t buy a ticket either at the station or on the bus or tram, I mean what the ****. I decide I feel like crap and can’t walk to the doctors so I hop on the tram, great now I’m breaking the law because I don’t have a Myki. Their solution is purchase one and carry it all times just in case you need it even though the card has an expiry date again what the ****. Public transport should be owned and run by the government I’m sick of my taxes making foreign shareholders rich.

Your original point is yes it’s a bloody joke so many people just lack any kind of respect, manners, call it what you will. Too many people do as they please and others wonder why temperatures are rising, s**t I see in the 30 minutes or so I’m on the road so many people talking on phones, failing to indicate etc it’s insane. I have had at least 6 people take of at the lights when they turn green and turn straight in front of me, believe me I’m not sitting there dozing I’m not burning rubber but it’s split second stuff. They have just decided **** this I’m not waiting for a line of cars I’ll just take my chances.

All part of the same problem imo, no respect, no manners, no morales.

Just on that theme did you see that attack on the tourist in the car park, now unless there’s some bizarre background story which from the cctv appears not to be the case what sort of nut job does that? Get cars off the road, oh right o I’ll ride and get run over or walk and get assualted **** that.

Grumpy middle aged man rant for Tuesday done ✅.

Last edited:
My wife tells me that people get busted on mass on a semi regular basis and that some people at her work say that on average just coping a few fines a year is cheaper than paying.

Just on the system itself, I have never used it so it’s a long time since I used public transport. Here are my issues with it as an outsider if you like. I hear countless reports of the light rain and busses my lot catch shorting the trip, for example the Monash bus turning around just after Ormond station or the lightrail shunting back at Fitzroy street. Despite this foreign companies are paid a bloody fortune and receive bonus payments despite regularly not meeting the targets set.

I can’t believe any government would allow a system to be set up where you can’t buy a ticket either at the station or on the bus or tram, I mean what the ****. I decide I feel like crap and can’t walk to the doctors so I hop on the tram, great now I’m breaking the law because I don’t have a Myki. Their solution is purchase one and carry it all times just in case you need it even though the card has an expiry date again what the ****. Public transport should be owned and run by the government I’m sick of my taxes making foreign shareholders rich.

Your original point is yes it’s a bloody joke so many people just lack any kind of respect, manners, call it what you will. Too many people do as they please and others wonder why temperatures are rising, s**t I see in the 30 minutes or so I’m on the road so many people talking on phones, failing to indicate etc it’s insane. I have had at least 6 people take of at the lights when they turn green and turn straight in front of me, believe me I’m not sitting there dozing I’m not burning rubber but it’s split second stuff. They have just decided **** this I’m not waiting for a line of cars I’ll just take my chances.

Just on that theme did you see that attack on the tourist in the car park, now unless there’s some bizarre background story which from the cctv appears not to be the case what sort of nut job does that? Get cars off the road, oh right o I’ll ride and get run over or walk and get assualted **** that.

Grump middle aged man rant for Tuesday done ✅.

I love grumpy middle aged rants.

I'm happy to get the cars off the road if there was a viable alternative.
In 1899 or something it was feasible to live near a Station, walk to it and catch the train to the city. They put the station near the corner, so it was easy to unload the donkey cart or some s**t.
Now , with our current population , either we need a gazzilion extra railway tracks, or we need to find a way to get people from their house to the train.
Buses... I DARE THE POLITICIANS TO USE BUSSES. Especially that genius that thought it was a good idea to install blue lights so that druggies couldn't see their veins.....classy. Every public servant should be forced to go to work on public transport...maybe they'll fix it them.
So you drive your car. Oh....car parking at Stations. s**t!!!! Its got less spots than the McDonalds up the road ...and less security. But the nice gentlemen did sell me some nice snuff that makes me feel wonderful when i use it. This is a newish station, but they built it right next to a main road so that all the cars have to stop at the boom gates while the train is stopped at the station. I'm sure it all stems from the times way back, when the guy chosen to make the announcements at Flinders street had the thickest greek accent i ever heard. Zeee nexa traina stooppaaa all station a northaaaa melba ana footascray. Meanwhile the Vietnamese guy is standing at the platform looking confused. Yes it was racist choosing the guy who speaks bad English to do the announcement.

So anyway i don't go to the city every day, i go there sometimes.
Myki....its costs me a crapload just to get on the system. What do tourists do? All the politicians that go on overseas trips, have they not seen how easy it is to get a train ticket and use it , in London? Singapore? Hong Kong? Germany? Hell even Perth. I suspect when they went overseas on the trip to investigate railway infrastructure , they didn't actually buy a ticket or get on a train.
So no i will not be getting my bloody car off the road.

My kids used to catch a bus home from school sometimes, only trouble was , that at the end of the line was Fountain Gate shopping centre , so every now and then, randomly , a group of kids would go there to hang out and check out boys/girls and crap that they do. First in , best dressed, the kid wanting to get home from school can't get on cos its full of kids going to the shops......Daaaaaaaadd can you come and get me?

Ever seen how nice it is to drive on the roads during school holidays. ALL kids not living within walking distance should have to catch the bus. Slug the parents for the fee's at the start of the year. Make sure there is a seat for each student and its compulsory. Kids not getting the bus need to be signed out by their parents. Safer, Better for traffic, better for the environment.

Rant over. ahhhhhh feels good.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Lol we are turning into those old men we used to make fun of as kids...
Oh I know I have, don’t worry it’s not lost on my friends and I.

In fact we get quite a laugh out of the whole thing, usually when we’ve calmed down from whatever outrage the government, younger generation or should that be generations now? 😂😂😂 have perpetrated. Voltaire once said common sense is not common, as I’ve aged and found some I appreciate how few people have any.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Turned in my case. The 'good news' is that you lose a bit of energy when you hit your 60's and can't really be bothered expending as much emotional energy on crap that makes no sense. I can still fire up occasionally but live in awe of what I used to be capable of!

What's with kids these days.
Back in my day i'd have been all over a grumpy old fart like me, luckily there was no internet. We had to get on CB radio's back then to find grumpy old farts to get stuck into.
Where's all the rebelliousness, they don't even drink and smoke too much ...youth of today....no gumption.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Back in my day i'd have been all over a grumpy old fart like me, luckily there was no internet. We had to get on CB radio's back then to find grumpy old farts to get stuck into.
Where's all the rebelliousness, they don't even drink and smoke too much ...youth of today....no gumption.
Back in my day, we lived in a shoe box in t' middle of the road...

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Germany is working on driverless semi trailers that are electric.

Funny that people equate electric to a lack of towing power. Trains do it.

I drove a hybrid Lexus a few years ago. Incredible power.

If they stick motors on each wheel it won't be a problem.

The issue will be off road recharging and battery range.

I know some cars are using kinetic energy from braking to help recharge

The high cost of purchase comes down to economies of scale IMO.

Like renewables, once production ramps up, unit costs will come down.

If anything, given the simplicity of their drive trains, I'm surprised they aren't cheaper. The Chinese are building them in mass quantity.

I'd be happy with one as a daily for work. Even now, I'm looking to downsize to a 1.3 for work. It's just a liability that decreases in value. Probably won't spend heaps either.
Once we reach the price and cost "tipping point", watch the elites jump on board. Once the oil becomes uneconomic, electricity will be the norm and they will once again form a cabal to control the price and supply. It has ever been thus.

The oil tanker won't burn your house down.

Don't get me started on shipping. How does the CO2 output of ALL of Australia compare to that of international shipping.
How much will stupid electric cars fix this.
The whole "doing our bit " thing is flawed.
If we burn coal its stuffing up our CO2 per capita. But if we export that coal ( using dirty ships) or import things that were made from power from burning coal, ( using dirty ships ) it keeps us nice and clean.
North Korea are probably the only ones "doing their bit" in a meaningful way.

It's the big problem with the west, we send manufacturing to China then tut tut that they should be more environmental.

I love grumpy middle aged rants.

I'm happy to get the cars off the road if there was a viable alternative.
In 1899 or something it was feasible to live near a Station, walk to it and catch the train to the city. They put the station near the corner, so it was easy to unload the donkey cart or some s**t.
Now , with our current population , either we need a gazzilion extra railway tracks, or we need to find a way to get people from their house to the train.
Buses... I DARE THE POLITICIANS TO USE BUSSES. Especially that genius that thought it was a good idea to install blue lights so that druggies couldn't see their veins.....classy. Every public servant should be forced to go to work on public transport...maybe they'll fix it them.
So you drive your car. Oh....car parking at Stations. s**t!!!! Its got less spots than the McDonalds up the road ...and less security. But the nice gentlemen did sell me some nice snuff that makes me feel wonderful when i use it. This is a newish station, but they built it right next to a main road so that all the cars have to stop at the boom gates while the train is stopped at the station. I'm sure it all stems from the times way back, when the guy chosen to make the announcements at Flinders street had the thickest greek accent i ever heard. Zeee nexa traina stooppaaa all station a northaaaa melba ana footascray. Meanwhile the Vietnamese guy is standing at the platform looking confused. Yes it was racist choosing the guy who speaks bad English to do the announcement.

So anyway i don't go to the city every day, i go there sometimes.
Myki....its costs me a crapload just to get on the system. What do tourists do? All the politicians that go on overseas trips, have they not seen how easy it is to get a train ticket and use it , in London? Singapore? Hong Kong? Germany? Hell even Perth. I suspect when they went overseas on the trip to investigate railway infrastructure , they didn't actually buy a ticket or get on a train.
So no i will not be getting my bloody car off the road.

My kids used to catch a bus home from school sometimes, only trouble was , that at the end of the line was Fountain Gate shopping centre , so every now and then, randomly , a group of kids would go there to hang out and check out boys/girls and crap that they do. First in , best dressed, the kid wanting to get home from school can't get on cos its full of kids going to the shops......Daaaaaaaadd can you come and get me?

Ever seen how nice it is to drive on the roads during school holidays. ALL kids not living within walking distance should have to catch the bus. Slug the parents for the fee's at the start of the year. Make sure there is a seat for each student and its compulsory. Kids not getting the bus need to be signed out by their parents. Safer, Better for traffic, better for the environment.

Rant over. ahhhhhh feels good.

That idiot Bailleiu sold off all the car parks that were at stations to commercial enterprises. Also sold land set aside for unbuilt train corridors and Fishermans Bend for near free to donors. If the people knew how corrupt some polls were they'd Lynch them.

Just on the system itself, I have never used it so it’s a long time since I used public transport. Here are my issues with it as an outsider if you like. I hear countless reports of the light rail and busses my lot catch shorting the trip, for example the Monash bus turning around just after Ormond station or the lightrail shunting back at Fitzroy street. Despite this foreign companies are paid a bloody fortune and receive bonus payments despite regularly not meeting the targets set.

Grumpy middle aged man rant for Tuesday done ✅.

MIKI is absolute s**t and a disgraceful decision. The people who came up with it were monorail salesmen. We could have used an existing system from overseas but got suckered into a s**t system. I can't check my balance on line so went to top up the other day to go to the comedy festival because I was taking a tram....where you can't top up. Topped up $20 on line....only it takes 90 minutes to load into the system. Luckily I have a heap on my card because every time I use it I obviously do the same thing.

My wife has auto top up on her card, she got on a tram and the inspectors gave her a $240 fine for travelling without a valid ticket. The thing took the fare and didn't warn her that it had expired...also don't have a date on the card. Had to write emails and threaten to go to court about 4 times to get out of it.

Last edited:
MIKI is absolute s**t and a disgraceful decision. The people who came up with it were monorail salesmen. We could have used an existing system from overseas but got suckered into a s**t system. I can check my balance on line so went to top up the other day to go to the comedy festival because I was taking a tram....where you can't top up. Topped up $20 on line....only it takes 90 minutes to load into the system. Luckily I have a heap on my card because every time I use it I obviously do the same thing.

My wife has auto top up on her card, she got on a tram and the inspectors gave her a $240 fine for travelling without a valid ticket. The thing took the fare and didn't warn her that it had expired...also don't have a date on the card. Had to write emails and threaten to go to court about 4 times to get out of it.

Yeah your money expires :/ (( ie ...they steal it )).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the big problem with the west, we send manufacturing to China then tut tut that they should be more environmental.

From an efficiency point of view, surely the best method is to have renewable energy close to a mine, ( many of which just happen to be in very nice places for Solar ) then process the minerals as much as possible ( ie into its most compact form ) prior to transport. Mineral processing is not labour intensive.
From that point more processing can be added as viable.

Even ISO14001 enviornmental standards make it easy for companies to outsource their waste.

Hooray we saved electricity by buying XXX from a supplier.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
MIKI is absolute s**t and a disgraceful decision. The people who came up with it were monorail salesmen. We could have used an existing system from overseas but got suckered into a s**t system. I can't check my balance on line so went to top up the other day to go to the comedy festival because I was taking a tram....where you can't top up. Topped up $20 on line....only it takes 90 minutes to load into the system. Luckily I have a heap on my card because every time I use it I obviously do the same thing.

My point exactly who gets away with a system like that, what government allows a system like that?.

My point exactly who gets away with a system like that, what government allows a system like that?.

Imagine coming from Hong Kong, and only speaking a moderate level of English.
You jump on a train or a bus and are faced with that crap.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.

I travel between Ogdenville, North Haverbrook and Brockway without any problems.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nah today's form of rebellion is to complain. We have competitions about who can complain the most and whoever wins gets free s**t because it's racist, sexist or bigoted to disagree.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I have a question for the regular punters.

There was a straight pick the 9 winners bet, no margins etc. just a straight up pick the card affair. What is the nearest equivalent these days and or the best bet for a bit of fun?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back