Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on this;

1. There wasn't. When Pangaea split there were indigenous populations which were largely nomadic at the beginning. It took the British actually settling instead of the Dutch simply sailing past for there to be "multiple nations" on Australia. Also, Capitalise Australia with an A yeah?
  2. Only it does, considering we're still a member of the Commonwealth of nations whose head is the British Monarchy and not a Republic, as that went well...
  3. Independence Day is not just a Jeff Goldblum movie franchise. It is a celebrated national holiday for the American populace to celebrate when the British flag was lowered. Note: We have not done this, see point 2.
  4. Canada doesn't count in your eyes?
  5. We did in the census, multinational with Christianity as dominant religion. Take a guess how that arrived on our shores? The hint is it starts with a B and was once an Empire.
Perhaps you should focus learning history before you start redefining it.

Given how the last Republic vote went, I hold no confidence we'll have anything close to actual enshrined independence, as Australia for Australians primarily as we're too lazy and / or conflicted to do it properly.

Plus it's fun winning sports comps without the major countries and Greek influence.
If (and when) Labor get back in, the Republic question will simply be - should Australia become a Republic with a President replacing King Charles.

Howard deliberately manipulated the last referendum by including a specific method of how the President would be elected just to muddy the waters.

Once the Queens gone, its a fair chance that Australia New Zealand and Canada will have a serious look at the Republic issue again. I mean look at the powerful list of countries we share the apron strings with these days.

Bit sad really!!!!!

1580071798690.png

I just don't get why australia day celebrates what is a British date. It has absolutely nothing to do with Australia
And its not even a real day considering the first fleet of boat people got to Botany Bay on the 23rd of January.

Anyway its Sydney centric. Like the religious hols and Anzac Day, I will take the holiday, but wont celebrate anything.

Nicest thing I saw was at Altona beach, the real Australia. Indian, African, Islander, SE Asian, all enjoying life.

When Pangaea split up there were no humans. The world has changed very little through continental drift since humans evolved.
Except that the essentially universally agreed upon land bridge between Asia and Australia doesn't exist any more.

I'm told to take the public holiday. I have no choice in it. Even if I wanted to work. I'm told I can't.
It is a gazetted public holiday, you don't need to respond to such a question.

Do Hindi's have to work christian public holidays in Australia?
Ironic, we hear about all of us being Australian, but if you are a certain type or freely speak your opinion you are gaslit with the old chestnut about not taking it

JMac won the classic last night
Great stuff

Just on this;

1. There wasn't. When Pangaea split there were indigenous populations which were largely nomadic at the beginning. It took the British actually settling instead of the Dutch simply sailing past for there to be "multiple nations" on Australia. Also, Capitalise Australia with an A yeah?
  2. Only it does, considering we're still a member of the Commonwealth of nations whose head is the British Monarchy and not a Republic, as that went well...
  3. Independence Day is not just a Jeff Goldblum movie franchise. It is a celebrated national holiday for the American populace to celebrate when the British flag was lowered. Note: We have not done this, see point 2.
  4. Canada doesn't count in your eyes?
  5. We did in the census, multinational with Christianity as dominant religion. Take a guess how that arrived on our shores? The hint is it starts with a B and was once an Empire.
Perhaps you should focus learning history before you start redefining it.

Given how the last Republic vote went, I hold no confidence we'll have anything close to actual enshrined independence, as Australia for Australians primarily as we're too lazy and / or conflicted to do it properly.

Plus it's fun winning sports comps without the major countries and Greek influence.
Lol what since when was there one indigenous nation on this continent. You do realise the indigenous population was made up of many different nations. Unless you think because they're indigenous they don't count.

Also independence day in America does not celebrate the lowering of the British flag. It has nothing to do with it.

And you have the audacity of lecturing people about history.

Last edited:
Lol what since when was there one indigenous nation on this continent. You do realise the indigenous population was made up of many different nations. Unless you think because they're indigenous they don't count.

Also independence day in America does not celebrate the lowering of the British flag. It has nothing to do with it.

And you have the audacity of lecturing people about history.

There are "people" who have differing "societies", when talking on nomadic "people", it's a collective and given the term bandied about as "invasion" is tied to British arrival, I thought it rather obvious. It was as a collective since it was largely first contact outside of sailing past shore lines since it's understood the Dutch got here first. Smacks of a cake and eat it situation.

1776 also disagrees, but more power to you.

Also no lecture, you seemed angry, not good for the heart, i got the day off today and got to sleep in then flip off the sun for waking me up instead of driving in darkness, tis a great day.

There are "people" who have differing "societies", when talking on nomadic "people", it's a collective and given the term bandied about as "invasion" is tied to British arrival, I thought it rather obvious. It was as a collective since it was largely first contact outside of sailing past shore lines since it's understood the Dutch got here first. Smacks of a cake and eat it situation.

1776 also disagrees, but more power to you.

Also no lecture, you seemed angry, not good for the heart, i got the day off today and got to sleep in then flip off the sun for waking me up instead of driving in darkness, tis a great day.
Yeah I thought it was obvious they were not one nation of people but rather made up of over 500 different nations. I'm shocked you were not aware of it and are trying to argue around it. Have a read of the gov info piece. You might learn something ;-)

1776. July 4th. Independence day. The day to commerate the declaration of independence from the British empire. It has nothing to do with the "lowering of the British flag" as you put it nor relevant to the raising of the British flag on the 26th that we now celebrate.

Bizarre angles to take given its so easily disputed.

I'm not angry at all. It's funny and bewildering. I'm amazed you actually put it into writing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a Vline train from Deer Park to Southern Cross. 4 loco hauled carriages. 4 sardine tins
it shouldn't be letting passengers on at deer park, that's what the suburban trains are for.
V-line you used to have to book your tickets , and every ticket got a seat.
Passengers who will be travelling for hours shouldn't need to stand in a crush for part of the trip.

There were many different nations of people that made up what is now australia.

The British flag being raised on what now is australia has literally no relevance to who we are.

You don't see the Americans celebrating a date the British flag was raised for the first time.

I can't think of another country that does it. It's utterly bizarre and shows how easily led we are. We are like children needing our parents to define who we are.

We should be forming our own identity. Grow a set and define your own history.

I think you think about it differently to most people.
Most people don't think about the British Flag, they think about the roots of our society.
More and more people are obsessed with Americanism ( like you ). It cost us the last republic referendum. Popularly elected president....s**t LOOK what you get.
Most people don't give a crap about the date, other than its in summer , because we don't want long weekends in winter when its miserable. Though it might be nice in north queensland ,and WA ( Darwin is just hot all the time ).
We have got our own identity. The British know it and nearly all Australians know it. Its bloody obvious.

I think you think about it differently to most people.
Most people don't think about the British Flag, they think about the roots of our society.
More and more people are obsessed with Americanism ( like you ). It cost us the last republic referendum. Popularly elected president....s**t LOOK what you get.
Most people don't give a crap about the date, other than its in summer , because we don't want long weekends in winter when its miserable. Though it might be nice in north queensland ,and WA ( Darwin is just hot all the time ).
We have got our own identity. The British know it and nearly all Australians know it. Its bloody obvious.
Since when am I obsessed with Americanism?

Its got nothing to do with Americanism.

Telecommunication wise it was gov -> delegate to state authority, so what you had was when states ran out of cash, they had to sell off assets and like Victoria in a way that included utilities to the market just like they did land unlocks.

As the government eventually lost delegation and had control of framework, they then effectively followed suit, so like what happened with Telstra (T1-3 in the 90's), you had a staggered sell off because utilities were gradually "waste" income since it was tied to things like expenses being worn direct.

Obviously with the NBN now being a thing, they've had to largely buy the same s**t back, only instead of now dealing with delegation to states who then subcontract to run, they deal with privately owned companies and lobbyists who push agenda directly to government as a much better solution. Unlike Australia Post or the ABC which is still SOE despite acting as a statutory company, you largely see how these three entities have largely operated over the past 30 odd years as a case study of private v government companies in the public interest.

Remembering of course it was only the 1980's when the ABC wasn't a mouthpiece organisation and "fair broadcasting" was introduced.

tldr is, they sold for lots of cash when people needed it or didn't want to be holding a perceived lemon.

There was a lot of fanfare at the time because government company, Telstra , ran at a profit.
I still remember living in Perth and having to save up for the weekly phonecall home to VIctoria, and having $300 + phone bills at the end of the month.
It was actually the internet, ( skype, etc ) that busted their sorry asses.

I don't know why we don't make it Federation rather than about sending a wealthy botanist to an already discovered nation. James Cook landed in Sydney and when a couple of warriors stood telling them to * off he shot one with birdshot from a boat. It wasn't a great day of discovery. Just Europeans claiming something that other Europeans hadn't valued enough to claim before that.

Which ever way you look at it we treated them poorly and stole their property (and still do) and we might as well make a symbolic shift to a more neutral day. I saw a few people suggest that some people would still complain even if they do change it. It's like someone in the US celebrating the slave trade and suggesting the African Americans would still be shitty regardless.

If China invaded us and made us celebrate their brilliant achievement..... turning up, as a kind of unification day, plenty of us would crack the shits too.

Andrew Bolt doing Andrew Bolt stuff.

I don't know why we don't make it Federation rather than about sending a wealthy botanist to an already discovered nation. James Cook landed in Sydney and when a couple of warriors stood telling them to fu** off he shot one with birdshot from a boat. It wasn't a great day of discovery. Just Europeans claiming something that other Europeans hadn't valued enough to claim before that.

Which ever way you look at it we treated them poorly and stole their property (and still do) and we might as well make a symbolic shift to a more neutral day. I saw a few people suggest that some people would still complain even if they do change it. It's like someone in the US celebrating the slave trade and suggesting the African Americans would still be shitty regardless.

If China invaded us and made us celebrate their brilliant achievement..... turning up, as a kind of unification day, plenty of us would crack the shits too.

200 years later, unlikely.
If we were totally non-unified, and had no centralised government, many of us would expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back