Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The website was created the day before your post, it’s either a fact or not and you went with inaccurate info.
Why are so obsessed to prove im wrong , if its going to make you feel so much better , yes i got it off a site that was out of date , im so sorry

Why are so obsessed to prove im wrong , if its going to make you feel so much better , yes i got it off a site that was out of date , im so sorry
It’s not you, but there’s a lot of misinformation out there about the Red Cross and the perceived hoarding of funds. It’s damaging because stories like that will influence future donations.
It was an unfair media beat up, designed to get clicks and stir up outrage

It’s not you, but there’s a lot of misinformation out there about the Red Cross and the perceived hoarding of funds. It’s damaging because stories like that will influence future donations.
It was an unfair media beat up, designed to get clicks and stir up outrage

Yep unfortunately the Facebook outrage culture has to constantly find new victims. What's the alternative, do nothing in case they are slow or wasteful? Basically they are the only ones set up to handle the massive amount of goods, donations and people on offer. They aren't perfect but they are the best we have. It's easy to be cynical ( I should know) but a bit getting through is better than nothing. They also employ people who go to areas and spend, employ locals to administer and have pretty decent ability to channel the money to the right spots. You can't just drop it from a plane and let them sort themselves out.

Love the day - hate the date!!!

I'll just leave this here as a reminder to any who think "Invasion Day" is some recent construct of the "inner suburban latte sipping leftie elite". The objections have been around longer than we've "celebrated" the day itself.

History of Australia Day
"By 1935, January 26 was known as Australia Day in all states except New South Wales, where it was still called Anniversary Day. From 1946, January 26 was called Australia Day in all states and territories, and since 1994, the Australia Day public holiday has been on January 26 throughout the country."

1579988081513.png

Love the day - hate the date!!!

I'll just leave this here as a reminder to any who think "Invasion Day" is some recent construct of the "inner suburban latte sipping leftie elite". The objections have been around longer than we've "celebrated" the day itself.

History of Australia Day
"By 1935, January 26 was known as Australia Day in all states except New South Wales, where it was still called Anniversary Day. From 1946, January 26 was called Australia Day in all states and territories, and since 1994, the Australia Day public holiday has been on January 26 throughout the country."

View attachment 811570

The date isn’t the problem. It’s the day itself. Make the day January 27 and the same people will complain about the same s**t. Make it May 26 and it’ll still be wrong to celebrate Australia Day.

changing the date won’t change a thing.

The date isn’t the problem. It’s the day itself. Make the day January 27 and the same people will complain about the same s**t. Make it May 26 and it’ll still be wrong to celebrate Australia Day.

changing the date won’t change a thing.

It's a mindset that we can't be, well, us, due to the past.

No one should believe it is recent or invalid, but one mans invasion is anothers exclusion, and so long as sides shout at each other how right they are about it, nothing will change.

I think Dan Sultan summed it up pretty succinctly

"No one's trying to take anyone's barbecues away … but I think a day called Australia Day should include all Australians and it doesn't. It's not that complicated for me."
I just don't get why australia day celebrates what is a British date. It has absolutely nothing to do with Australia

I think Dan Sultan summed it up pretty succinctly

"No one's trying to take anyone's barbecues away … but I think a day called Australia Day should include all Australians and it doesn't. It's not that complicated for me."
No but people literally are trying to take barbecues away. As Jwikked said the date isn't the problem fir people it's that we dare to celebrate it at all. It could be May 8 as some crappy dad joke, could be the date of federation etc and people would still complain about it. Someone unironically told me today that celebrating Australia Day is like celebrating 9/11....

Well no it kind of does. Because those British people became Australian and are the reason we're a country.
There were many different nations of people that made up what is now australia.

The British flag being raised on what now is australia has literally no relevance to who we are.

You don't see the Americans celebrating a date the British flag was raised for the first time.

I can't think of another country that does it. It's utterly bizarre and shows how easily led we are. We are like children needing our parents to define who we are.

We should be forming our own identity. Grow a set and define your own history.

Wouldn't matter what date we put it to people would be upset about it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The British flag being raised on what now is australia has literally no relevance to who we are.

You don't see the Americans celebrating a date the British flag was raised for the first time.

I can't think of another country that does it. It's utterly bizarre and shows how easily led we are. We are like children needing our parents to define who we are.

So you didn't take the public holiday and went to work ?

I reckon if you get a bunch of people in a meeting, including representing those who wish for Jan 26, representing those who don't care about the date but want to celebrate what Australia means to them and representing the first nation people who are reminded of the invasion of what was their land by Jan 26. You get these representatives together and work out a way to compromise - find an answer that may not be exactly what they want but is a suitable compromise - then once they've decided to the new thing (be it a name change, a date change, or something else) - implement that change.

I would prefer that we become a republic and have that anniversary celebrated - with the understanding that it is a celebration for every Australian

ATM the only day that could be celebrated as Australia Day is the day we actually became Australia. Before 1 Jan 1901 it was six separate self governing colonies which is why changing the date really shouldn't be an issue.

But we know why that won't happen don't we - lose a holiday - never - bloody unaustralian cobber!!!!!!!

All said and done though I'm happy to muddle along until we eventually decide to cut the apron strings from the "motherland" and become a fully fledged independent country. The sooner the better though - and that's why I'm cheering on Harry and Megs - the messier the better!!!

Just on this;

1. There wasn't. When Pangaea split there were indigenous populations which were largely nomadic at the beginning. It took the British actually settling instead of the Dutch simply sailing past for there to be "multiple nations" on Australia. Also, Capitalise Australia with an A yeah?
  2. Only it does, considering we're still a member of the Commonwealth of nations whose head is the British Monarchy and not a Republic, as that went well...
  3. Independence Day is not just a Jeff Goldblum movie franchise. It is a celebrated national holiday for the American populace to celebrate when the British flag was lowered. Note: We have not done this, see point 2.
  4. Canada doesn't count in your eyes?
  5. We did in the census, multinational with Christianity as dominant religion. Take a guess how that arrived on our shores? The hint is it starts with a B and was once an Empire.
Perhaps you should focus learning history before you start redefining it.

ATM the only day that could be celebrated as Australia Day is the day we actually became Australia. Before 1 Jan 1901 it was six separate self governing colonies which is why changing the date really shouldn't be an issue.

But we know why that won't happen don't we - lose a holiday - never - bloody unaustralian cobber!!!!!!!

All said and done though I'm happy to muddle along until we eventually decide to cut the apron strings from the "motherland" and become a fully fledged independent country. The sooner the better though - and that's why I'm cheering on Harry and Megs - the messier the better!!!

Given how the last Republic vote went, I hold no confidence we'll have anything close to actual enshrined independence, as Australia for Australians primarily as we're too lazy and / or conflicted to do it properly.

Plus it's fun winning sports comps without the major countries and Greek influence.

When Pangaea split up there were no humans. The world has changed very little through continental drift since humans evolved.

Fair point, Cretaceous period then? What's a few million years between friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back