Random Science news and articles

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
These will be real history makers if verified. Alleged Dino DNA - Dinosaur DNA and proteins found in fossils, paleontologists claim, and probably from even longer ago, the first alleged extra-terrestrial protein - put up at arxiv Hemolithin: a Meteoritic Protein containing Iron and Lithium. This comes from the re-examination of 2 meterorites, Acfer 086 and Allende with new technology.
Both awaiting peer review & official publishing

At a guess, the first won't be proven and the second, the extraterrestrial protein will be.

Last edited:

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The wonderful Ediacaran fauna has given us yet another weird one. Newly discovered fossilised threads, some as long as four metres, connecting organisms known as rangeomorphs, from our oceans half a billion years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This was what I was hoping to see

Another possibility is that they enabled organisms to share nutrients, a prehistoric version of the 'wood wide web' observed in modern-day trees.
Very funny, but possible.
I wonder if the networks could be a step between sessile animals and actively mobile ones. Most Ediacaran fauna is sessile but come the Cambrian 'explosion' many forms of mobile critters appeared, including some which are probably the ancestors of current phyla.

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had never heard of these 'Robber Crabs' on Xmas island - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...ick-expensive-thermal-imaging-camera/12043754 While it's not strictly a science article, it does show significant intelligence in the animal. I think animal intelligence, especially in non vertebrates is vastly underestimated.

Another crustacean related article that is very interesting but clearly is cautionary to Aquarium owners. You must be very careful of what X rated activity goes on in your aquarium https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...t-may-have-given-crayfish-dna-take-over-world The Marbled crayfish is an invasive freshwater species suspected to have been created through a reproductive accident in an aquarium around 1995. A new analysis of the crustacean’s genome supports this unlikely origin and may help explain how the animal has subsequently spread and adapted to so many new environments.

CD Xbow

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
HAWKS FORBIDDEN LOVE

So the headlined screamed.
Oh gosh, someone's been outed. With trepidation I clicked the link.
Strangely turned out to involve birds

That's a hybrid from 2 different genera, quite a distance genetically. Nature finds a way.

I'm writing a romantic comedy script for Disney, to be turned into an animated feature film. Bigger than Mulan.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants

drd23

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Also kinda scary how one single transcription error/mutation in DNA can have such a large effect

Top Bottom