Random things on your mind.. (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot people have never struggled before. In the real world there is only 5% unemployment, good wage growth & relatively average inflation. People are always going to struggle, people will always fall through the cracks, but to use that as the launching pad for ' were all doing it tough' is just wrong. Most, as in 99% of Australians are doing better now then ever before.
In reality the unemployment rate is actually misleading. When the unemployed take part in courses they are temporarily classed as students. Therefore lowering the official unemployment statistics and something similar happens when the unemployed participate in Work For the Dole programs.

Cost of living.
Do you not realise that there have been significant increases in the cost of electricity, gas, water, fuel and bus & train fares (for those who use public transport).
Then there rent increases for people on government benefits who live in government housing. Every time anyone who lives in government housing gets a job or a pension increases has their rent go up.

Let's not forget that some food products have also increased because of natural disasters in recent years.
Then there are those unfortunate people who are on long term medical issues can't always afford to pay for their medication because of the things I mentioned above.
It's even worse for people with kids.

In reality the unemployment rate is actually misleading. When the unemployed take part in courses they are temporarily classed as students. Therefore lowering the official unemployment statistics and something similar happens when the unemployed participate in Work For the Dole programs.

Cost of living.
Do you not realise that there have been significant increases in the cost of electricity, gas, water, fuel and bus & train fares (for those who use public transport).
Then there rent increases for people on government benefits who live in government housing. Every time anyone who lives in government housing gets a job or a pension increases has their rent go up.

Let's not forget that some food products have also increased because of natural disasters in recent years.
Then there are those unfortunate people who are on long term medical issues can't always afford to pay for their medication because of the things I mentioned above.
It's even worse for people with kids.

By all reports Cyclical unemployment is low. There is significant demand for jobs. If somebody wants to find a job they basically can. You would have done better to talk about hidden unemployment which may have increased after the GFC as potential workers may have become discouraged and ceased searching for work.
All those price increases are factored into inflation which is still relatively low or at average levels. Basically the costs of living have not increased at above average levels and not to the levels of income. Hence Australia experiencing real GDP growth meaning peoples wealth is increasing, people are in fact better off.
Shocks in prices due to natural disasters eg bananas that u mentioned have very little effect on the costs of living as they are short term and often easily substitutable and they often only effect one market.

By all reports Cyclical unemployment is low. There is significant demand for jobs. If somebody wants to find a job they basically can. You would have done better to talk about hidden unemployment which may have increased after the GFC as potential workers may have become discouraged and ceased searching for work.
All those price increases are factored into inflation which is still relatively low or at average levels. Basically the costs of living have not increased at above average levels and not to the levels of income. Hence Australia experiencing real GDP growth meaning peoples wealth is increasing, people are in fact better off.
Shocks in prices due to natural disasters eg bananas that u mentioned have very little effect on the costs of living as they are short term and often easily substitutable and they often only effect one market.

Let me guess you a spin doctor for a major political party.

For people or couples with full time employment the cost of living hasn't changed that much for them but for people working on a part time and casual basis the cost of living has increased.
Those price shocks due to natural disasters last for a few years in some instances. The impact on them does impact the consumer straight away because many supermarkets store fruit and vegetables in cold storage(chemicals and such are used to keep them fresh) for quite some some . They also import more fruit and veg at those times.

On the unemployment front things are going to get worse before they get better. Especially if manufactures keep relocating their factories overseas and other companies doing the same with their call centers.

For people or couples with full time employment the cost of living hasn't changed that much for them but for people working on a part time and casual basis the cost of living has increased.
Those price shocks due to natural disasters last for a few years in some instances. The impact on them does impact the consumer straight away because many supermarkets store fruit and vegetables in cold storage(chemicals and such are used to keep them fresh) for quite some some . They also import more fruit and veg at those times.

On the unemployment front things are going to get worse before they get better. Especially if manufactures keep relocating their factories overseas and other companies doing the same with their call centers.

No, but i have a degree in economics...

Cost of living is irrelevant to what employment type people have. Cost of living is purely dictated by inflation. The only reason why part time and casual workers may suffer is that their incomes are not adjusted in line with inflation (or with a payrise added) every year like the full time employed. Price shocks by definition occur in the short term. Most supermarkets pricing strategies are a % markup. When supply drops price immediately increases supermarkets just pass this onto consumers immediately otherwise they sell below cost. These increases are so minor as a % of overall consumer expenditure that they have very very little effect on inflation and costs of living. Oil shocks have always been the most influential on supermarket costs etc and inflation. Ive yet to really see natural disasters which wipe out half the worlds oil supply just quietly.
Outsourcing can cause structural unemployment this is true. But it is not of any real concern to the economy as a whole as it is short term and outsourcing has been occurring for years. Cyclical unemployment is the only real worry but Australia atm has very low cyclical unemployment.
Unemployment has dropped in the last year. Trends show if any change is expected it will be a decrease in unemployment not an increase. Hence the increase in interest rates recently and likelihood of further increases into the future.

That always happens in downturns as confidence drops. But still We will have real per capita GDP growth this year and unemployment is low. Long story short the average person in Australia is still getting wealthier and is better off than they were a year ago. The whole "doing it tough" thing is spread by the media and has become a bit of a fad for marketing purposes.

Spot on. Debt has been slashed and savings have gone through the roof. Wage growth has been stronger then inflation for years.
There was an article out only last week showing nearly every social class is better off now then 5 years ago.

Politics is the only reason this issue exists. ' people are doing it tough, cost of living is hitting Australians hard'...' we can't afford a new tax, cost of living pressures are enough already'....'a carbon tax will only further the hardships cost of living is having on Australian's these day's. If you think it's tough today go get a time machine and warp back to the amazing 90's? 1930's? 1788? 1066? 50Bc? Fancy the pyramids?2000bc

No, but i have a degree in economics...

Cost of living is irrelevant to what employment type people have. Cost of living is purely dictated by inflation. The only reason why part time and casual workers may suffer is that their incomes are not adjusted in line with inflation (or with a pay rise added) every year like the full time employed. Price shocks by definition occur in the short term. Most supermarkets pricing strategies are a % markup. When supply drops price immediately increases supermarkets just pass this onto consumers immediately otherwise they sell below cost. These increases are so minor as a % of overall consumer expenditure that they have very very little effect on inflation and costs of living. Oil shocks have always been the most influential on supermarket costs etc and inflation. Ive yet to really see natural disasters which wipe out half the worlds oil supply just quietly.
Outsourcing can cause structural unemployment this is true. But it is not of any real concern to the economy as a whole as it is short term and outsourcing has been occurring for years. Cyclical unemployment is the only real worry but Australia atm has very low cyclical unemployment.
Unemployment has dropped in the last year. Trends show if any change is expected it will be a decrease in unemployment not an increase. Hence the increase in interest rates recently and likelihood of further increases into the future.
All subject to interpretation.
Some one with your qualifications should know that statistical data and figures can often be misleading and can be easily manipulated to prove anything.
BTW the water rates here in SA have just gone up.
I suggest you that your should get your head out of the economic books and get into the real world and spend time with people living below the poverty line and then see if your opinion on the cost of living remains.

I don't care what scientific information they have out there, I don't care what numbers and stuff like that say. Global warming isn't true, its colder now then it was 10 years ago. Indeed I bet its colder now then it has ever been. You just need to get out into the real world and feel the cold, instead of sitting in your nice warm lab.

Silly ignorant scientists need to get out of their ivory tower and feel that chilly breeze. Who cares about numbers and stuff anyway, there all subject to interpretation. Its coollllld, not warm. Colder then its ever been!!!

I don't care what scientific information they have out there, I don't care what numbers and stuff like that say. Global warming isn't true, its colder now then it was 10 years ago. Indeed I bet its colder now then it has ever been. You just need to get out into the real world and feel the cold, instead of sitting in your nice warm lab.

Silly ignorant scientists need to get out of their ivory tower and feel that chilly breeze. Who cares about numbers and stuff anyway, there all subject to interpretation. Its coollllld, not warm. Colder then its ever been!!!
doesn't global warming affect both temperature extremes (ie hotter hot's and colder colds)

Anyone watching 'Between the lines' on channel 9?

I knows it's only early but it doesn't look to bad. I enjoy watching Spicks and Specks on the ABC and this is a sports version of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She is a nice girl, she wished them merry chritmas and then unleashed hell, can't say she didn't have any mercy or emotion for what was to transpire.

Next 5 games they got cats,pies,trip to perth, melbourne and the bullies (no particular order)

To this point they have won 1 and drawn 1, if they lose 2 of the next 5 games they will need at least 8 wins from there final 10 games to make the finals,possibly 9 wins.

Might be a good trade to be had later in the year, recruiting managers should be on it,like now.

Malcolm Blight always said the best form of defence was attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back