Random Things on Your Mind (Part 5)

brucetiki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I can understand not accepting $5 worth of 5c pieces ......but 50c pieces ? ......where was the commonsense, and frankly I doubt the cashier had any idea of the 1965 Law .....was just being an arse

View attachment 601134
A PR disaster for OTR, caused purely by the social media response. While, yes, technically, the cashier had the right to refuse payment, had ‘Maddie’s’ response been along the lines of, ‘sorry about your experience, we’ll investigate and pass your feedback on’, or, ‘sorry this happened, if you’d like to message us your contact details we can call you to discuss further’ or something along those lines, then no one would’ve known about the incident and it wouldn’t have got the media attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WaynesWorld19

Formerly 'Wayne's-World'
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
A PR disaster for OTR, caused purely by the social media response. While, yes, technically, the cashier had the right to refuse payment, had ‘Maddie’s’ response been along the lines of, ‘sorry about your experience, we’ll investigate and pass your feedback on’, or, ‘sorry this happened, if you’d like to message us your contact details we can call you to discuss further’ or something along those lines, then no one would’ve known about the incident and it wouldn’t have got the media attention.
I don't know of anyone in retail that would be aware of that 1965 Law ....normally it's just Management's Rights to refuse coins (even though it's nort printed anywhere)

brucetiki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I don't know of anyone in retail that would be aware of that 1965 Law ....normally it's just Management's Rights to refuse coins (even though it's nort printed anywhere)
Same here. In fact, I generally find that retail workers would happily take loose change so they have enough change to get through their shift without asking for more change. My sister worked retail for a few years, and would often proactively ask customers to pay her with loose change.

WaynesWorld19

Formerly 'Wayne's-World'
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Same here. In fact, I generally find that retail workers would happily take loose change so they have enough change to get through their shift without asking for more change. My sister worked retail for a few years, and would often proactively ask customers to pay her with loose change.
That's my experience as well, although no-one wants $5 worth of 5c pieces .....that currency is outdated now and next to useless

Maybe the 20 x 50c coins didn't fit into an already crowded cashiers tray .....causing angst over the work required to store the coins elswhere

No accept coins = no extra work from cashier

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
I'd challenge that on the basis its the only legal tender I have

They either accept it or I dont pay. I have offered payment, they have refused. I get my goods for free

WaynesWorld19

Formerly 'Wayne's-World'
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I'd challenge that on the basis its the only legal tender I have

They either accept it or I dont pay. I have offered payment, they have refused. I get my goods for free
Is there a Law that covers that though? ......what about places that won't accept Credit Cards / Eftpos & only Cash .....can't see you getting away with that

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Is there a Law that covers that though? ......what about places that won't accept Credit Cards / Eftpos & only Cash .....can't see you getting away with that
Those places state that in line of eyesight. Is the 1965 Currency Law in plain view?

The other issue for petrol stations is the user utilises the service BEFORE the transaction takes place

WaynesWorld19

Formerly 'Wayne's-World'
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Those places state that in line of eyesight. Is the 1965 Currency Law in plain view?

The other issue for petrol stations is the user utilises the service BEFORE the transaction takes place
Yes it is in euesight .....down the corridor, 2nd door on the left, behind the stack of "Newspapers" from the 1960's

On the 2nd subject, I hate filling up using a common Petrol Card, then finding out I went to the one station out of 100 that applies a 4% surcharge .....it's not the amount that pisses me off, it's the lack of transparency ....and as you say, I've already got the Petrol in my tank

FR0GGY

Press the button
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I can understand not accepting $5 worth of 5c pieces ......but 50c pieces ? ......where was the commonsense, and frankly I doubt the cashier had any idea of the 1965 Law .....was just being an arse

View attachment 601134
I was always under the impression that you could use a maximum of 100 coins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide

Are the road laws in plain sight? The signs are meaningless without the law that sets out what action they require you to take. There’s no wriggle room, under that law $5 in 50c pieces is not legal tender, ignorance of that law doesn’t result in it not applying to you. Unless there’s a separate clause requiring the law be displayed, then it’s your responsibility to know what is and isn’t legal tender.

Top Bottom