Random Things on Your Mind (Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please explain why we are having Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

It is a US tradition and comes on the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is celebrated on the 4th Thursday of November (and I’ll be there yippee doing my bit for their economy).

We need some local versions of the brawls associated with Black Friday :D

I don’t get Black Friday either. Our equivalent has always been Boxing Day. At least with Boxing Day you can get cheap Christmas decorations for next year.

Can someone please explain why we are having Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

It is a US tradition and comes on the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is celebrated on the 4th Thursday of November (and I’ll be there yippee doing my bit for their economy).
ANy opportunity to make a $$$$.

Looks like the fire in the hills is going to be a particularly devastating one.

CFS map shows about a dozen house fires in the emergency alert area alone, with a massive watch and act area around it.

A house was also destroyed in the Northern Expressway fire up in Angle Vale earlier today as well.

And it looks like there 3 major fires in the Maitland emergency warning area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Cudlee fire has turned on itself and is heading back at Birdwood and Gumeracha.

Getting almost hourly updates from the folks, Pinery was a close shave for them.... this could be as bad.

You can’t even imagine how they can fight that.
They don't.

They try to get ahead of it rather than go in there, in that area it's suicide tofight it.

Pinery happened when we were OS last time, and here we are again.

Pinery was on flat ground. Cuddle Creek is in hilly ground with fair amounts of it inaccessible.

I think this is the catastrophic hills fire everyone's been warning us about since Ash Wednesday.

Having a look at the map on the CFS website yesterday I saw 25 building fire icons in the area that was covered by the emergency warning (and that's just the one's the CFS would be aware of). I don't think we're going to see how catastrophic this has been for some time.

Pinery was on flat ground. Cuddle Creek is in hilly ground with fair amounts of it inaccessible.

I think this is the catastrophic hills fire everyone's been warning us about since Ash Wednesday.

Having a look at the map on the CFS website yesterday I saw 25 building fire icons in the area that was covered by the emergency warning (and that's just the one's the CFS would be aware of). I don't think we're going to see how catastrophic this has been for some time.
Nah, the eastern side of the Hills remained largely untouched.

If a fire got into Stirling, Bridgewater etc..... that would be biblical. A couple mates lost sheds and a lot of land in the last couple of days but it could've been worse.

Heart goes out to the Charleston residents family who lost their life.

Was let through tonight to pick up my equipment from the main st of Lobethal all was fine apart from a bit of ash.
The part of town that I saw was fine, the outskirts not so.
Saw about 5 buildings gone from the freeway to lobethal.
Plenty of burnt paddocks though and a lot right up to houses.
Amazing job they have done to save what the have.
A few trees still burning around the place.
Power came back onto lobethal and half of Woodside at about 4pm this arvo.

Last edited:
3 more houses gone in Gumeracha today, embers falling around both my parents places.

Meanwhile I'm in Quebec and there is snow as far as the eye can see.

Hard to comprehend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back