Ratten on radio 19th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Was sounding pretty positive after the win.

Said he's not sure Thornton and Waite did enough to be recalled, keeping his cards pretty close to his chest which is good.

We fielded the second youngest team in the league on the weekend.

Sees Walker as a defender with a lot of ability.

Must agree, think he could turn himself into our number 1 defender.

Not to take on the gorillas, there isnt as many of them about these days, but more in the Chris Tarrant, Trent Croad mold.

6'3 highly athletic types whom struggled in the forward role. Moved to defence and played their best football.

Not to take on the gorillas, there isnt as many of them about these days, but more in the Chris Tarrant, Trent Croad mold.

6'3 highly athletic types whom struggled in the forward role. Moved to defence and played their best football.
I remember watching Walker shut down Croad when Croad was running rampant for the Hawks in their forward line. We lost the game, but that was mainly because Croad had kicked 5 in a half playing on Lance Whitnall.
Aside from Saturdays game and his debut, that was the best game that I have seen Walker play.

That's not a bad comparison actually. Taz can play on both big and small forwards, and I reckon Walks could do the same. Just needs some confidence, and fingers crossed his body doesn't let him down anymore.

I heard the whole interview and I love Ratten's under-bubbling enthusiasm.
He genuinely likes his chargers and he has given me the impression he is starting to enjoy the pressure and rewards of coaching.

He has been questioned here by many including myself, but there will no dinners being enjoyed while fires are burning form this guy.
Gives his all and I truly hope for him, and us, that we reap the rewards of his vision.

Walker has started the year poorly, not sure why but if he comes good he'll be a really valuable player for us.

I'll take a stab at this and attest that I may be way off the mark.

Sorry for repeating myself here, but last week he and Thornton had a torrid time together in defense, aiming blame squarely at one another for the failings in the back-line.
They both looked rattled and frustrated with each other and openly aired their frustrations.
Forget that they're professional footballers alone as sometimes this alone does not save them from themselves.

Jamison is a great calming and authoritative force down back and maybe Walker is being served batter by way of encouraging advice rather than
a verbal pasting.
There may just be more than one reason why Thornton may not find it so easy to get back. Just, maybe.

Ratten says in this interview that to stop injuries to players we could play 5 quarters instead of 4...

Tuff ask!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not a bad comparison actually. Taz can play on both big and small forwards, and I reckon Walks could do the same. Just needs some confidence, and fingers crossed his body doesn't let him down anymore.

Need to back him in over the course of the year and there will be some times someone takes hold of him. But I think this is his best position. There was a big call for him to play on-ball / forward earlier in the year but I think he lacks the goal kicking polish of a Yaz, Betts or Garlett. If those three can bed down the small forward roles (I would play Eddie - who has underated lead-up marking skills as a lead up type with Yaz and Garlett closer to goal) I think Walker can kill it off the backline. The Dale Morris / Taz role fits his style.
Was a bit concerned seeing him go to Tippett with the height difference on Saturday but we should back him in. He may get "marked" over a few times but could counter-balance with his run and rebound from defence, there wouldn't be a big man that could go with him in regards to run and endurance( except maybe the young fellow who plays ruck for us :thumbsu: )
If they try play him one out and drag him back to the goals he and Jamo could rotate.
Think it could be the making of him as an AFL footballer.

Ratten says in this interview that to stop injuries to players we could play 5 quarters instead of 4...

Tuff ask!

I dont know... 5th quarter down the local pub having sculling contests... and making sure that the final result depends on it.

Every pint sculled is worth a goal... pity we got rid of Fev then :p

I dont know... 5th quarter down the local pub having sculling contests... and making sure that the final result depends on it.

Every pint sculled is worth a goal... pity we got rid of Fev then :p

Nah, Fev's badly out of form at the moment, had a beer given to him on Saturday night and couldn't find his mouth......

May need to go after that young Daniel Connor's from Richmond, he sounds like a goer :thumbsu:

To be perfectly honest i'm sick to death of talking about Walker. In 2008 we all thought he'd become a star HFF after his game against Port. Then we thought he'd go back to the wing. Now all of a sudden he's a good undersized key defender...

He had a good game after a terrible 1st quarter this week. Let him build on it and we can assess at the end of the year.

To be perfectly honest i'm sick to death of talking about Walker. In 2008 we all thought he'd become a star HFF after his game against Port. Then we thought he'd go back to the wing. Now all of a sudden he's a good undersized key defender...

He had a good game after a terrible 1st quarter this week. Let him build on it and we can assess at the end of the year.

Agree let us make some conclusions after the next month

There was something about the win that did not enthuse me - anyway my point is that I erased it and therefore need someone to answer this Q

Is Walks able to mark and punch freely overhead? There are a couple suggesting he cannot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back