Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Hardie has a nerve thinking that if he played really well in the VFL, led the coaches votes, he could be rewarded by a game in the AFL. What was he thinking? What were we thinking?
The truth is that plenty of guys kill it at reserves level (sometimes for years) without ever really inspiring clubs to see their worth as senior AFL players. So if that fate befalls Hardie as well, he won't have been the first and he certainly won't be the last.

Yep, and I’ll keep saying when we see Hardie it’s time to worry because it means we’ve really hit the skids.
What do you think it is?
Personally I think it’s his speed and size
He’d be eaten alive

Also feel sorry for him, because I have no idea why we drafted him

On paper, we have picked a team to play in the AFL this week that has to be about as slow and tall as we could possibly pick. If it's true that Hardie lacks speed and size, which i dont think it really is, then it wouldnt count against him anyway.

I wish I had of gone with Guthrie inj as well! I had a feeling we would take a couple of older players out but not drop them and can’t manage. So inj the only option!
They could have just gone omitted,all the same a decent side and one I'll back in this week given no huge late changes gameday.

Mannagh should be 100 %in over tuohy but otherwise those are good changes.

Guthrie has been playing injured, no moc or parf are positive steps as is no stanley.

Surprised we are trying the extra tall up front-be interesting to see how we structure up.

He’d be emergency according to that logic. They are trying a different structure which they’ve said all year they’d do.

Im not surprised they are doing it but im am surprised they are picking this game to do it.

What do you think it is?
He’d be eaten alive

Also feel sorry for him, because I have no idea why we drafted him
On my view of him in 3-4 games he just doesn’t have any AFL qualities. The most you could say for him is he finds the ball. But will he at AFL level? Even then he’s not going to hurt the opposition when he does.

So no surprises on the “ins”

Pleased (by pleasantly suprised) that Neale stayed in…

To me I am not at all surprised Rohan and Guthrie had last minute (post Tuesday injury update) injuries…!

Not suprised about MOC given Mullin might have overtaken him.

I suppose I am surprised about Parf given it is indigenous round…. Don’t want to be hyperbolic (but I will!) but this is the Sav moment for me…when Parf knows for sure he is not best 23 when it matters (rightly or wrongly)? No matter how effusive in praise the coach has for you…(he loved Sav and Parf in equal high measure) proof is in the selection….

So if he gets interest elsewhere he will go at end of year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardie not even in the emergency’s. Bloody stiff.

If he performs again this week he will have to surely get a game against Richmond next.
I still can't believe his not getting a game now.. if his not getting a game within a few weeks, there is SFA chance he be on our list next season
He has done everything to be asked for to get a game in one of the weakest midfield in the comp..
I'm not saying he is the difference in us being a better midfield team, but Hardie has done all he can do to say " Pick Me"

We bring back 2xKPF, 1xKPD and 1 half backer (that's where Duncan has played for much of the year), while we drop two mids and have another out injured.

Looks unbalanced to me and suggests there's a late change coming.
I think for the Meat Tray is Mannagh will be a late in ( we'll I hope he does )

Happy to see the word (omitted) next to Parf and MOC's name.

People talking about how good Parf has been, but not even holding his spot in this very poor and undermanned midfield is telling.

Surprised MOC copped the omitted and not managed tag... but I'm not complaining, he isn't B22 IMO.

Seems we want to fast-track Clark for next year. I was expecting him to get a rest after playing plenty of games and playing 6 quarters last week... He isn't flying, but you'd think it'll hold him in good sted for next year.

Hardie not even an emergency... I gotta feel for him a little bit... Not sure why we drafted him.

Hoping Mullin can get some more time in the middle and also fast-track himself to make a decent impact next year.

I'll take a win by 1 point here.

Congrats to Hawkins... The guy is a Geelong legend.

Last edited:
I'm neither an advocate for Hardie or a wet blanket on what he can bring. Just pointing out what I see as the rationale for why he's not seemingly all that close to getting a game in the seniors. There's certainly no harm in giving him a shot. But it's apparent that the M.C. still believes that there are preferable alternatives to try to resolve our midfield woes at this point.

The only part of the Hardie narrative that has really confounded me is the idea that the club hasn't treated him well. We gave him an opportunity to be on an AFL list, at a time when he probably thought the chance had passed him by. We've exposed him to the highest level of training and preparation for football that anyone could hope to experience. And we kept him on the list for this year when other players in his situation have been cut by their clubs after only a few months.

So if he earns a game (or six) in the eyes of those in the know at the club, I'm fine with that. I just don't have any time for the idea that the club owes it to him to give him senior games, simply by virtue of him being on the list. The club might owe it to themselves to see what he can produce in the firsts, I admit. But as for being near enough to morally bound to play him (having already afforded him an incredible opportunity by bringing him into the AFL system in the first place), I can't see that at all.

Long way to go for Mitch, of course. But even if he gets no games with us and is delisted at the end of the season, he'll be front of mind for many list managers across the comp now if they're looking to take their chances on a mature-aged mid recruit for next year. That doesn't happen half as easily for him if he's not firstly on the list at Geelong. So the way I see it, he is much more in the debt of the GFC than vice versa.

And I genuinely wish him all the best in his quest to make it in the AFL.

Said it a long time ago.
Hardie will never play a senior game.
If he was any good he would be playing.
Our midfield stocks are beyond low and he’s still not getting a look in.
It’s not rocket science to see that
I don't agree. CS sticks with what he has, shuffling away, until there is no option left.

He is a great coach but ................. sometimes ............................ it would be nice to see a slightly riskier risk taken.

This is an inflection point for Shannon Neale’s career. All logic pointed toward and omission with his disappointing showing and Hawkins and Cameron returning. The MC is investing a vote of confidence in him. Big “take the opportunity with both hands” moment here for him.
I just hope he's not going to suffer from a lack of space for talls on a narrow ground.

At least there's fewer wrong positions for him to run to 🤣

Cameron, Hawkins and Neale … He was given a poisoned chalice being asked to play in the NT and prove himself. Fair enough he gets more time ..as the club has to work out if he is going to be the solution long term…

Conway ….basically the same . Noteworthy he is in for 2 in a row for the first time. Again I think its time ..if he is to be then surely multiple games in a row should be do able at this stage. Im sure he he will have partners in the role.

Pretty much a no excuse game. Four in a row with two of those games in Geelong is not what we would think of as ideal. Heard today that Giants don't fear Geelong in Geelong. Haven't lost down here since 2017. Time to change that.

Last edited:
The truth is that plenty of guys kill it at reserves level (sometimes for years) without ever really inspiring clubs to see their worth as senior AFL players. So if that fate befalls Hardie as well, he won't have been the first and he certainly won't be the last.
Yep look how good Constable was in the VFL but when he got to AFL level was found out. Id like Hardie to get a crack at some stage but anyone around here thinking he is going to be the saviour of our midfield is smoking the crack pipe and going to be thoroughly disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back