Autopsy Rd 2 Blues up for the fight but still lose to Port by 16 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Never ceases to amaze me the short sightedness of some "supporters". It's like a race to be first to write off a player. There are sometimes reasons and most take time.

I suspect it is all about how much real life experience one has had with teenagers or young blokes being trained into being able to compete at an elite level against men. The players are basically thoroughbreds - strong and fast but at the same time - quite fragile because of the load demands made on them at a very young age in order to compete with older blokes and hardened bodies.

Reading between the lines (I love saying that because then you can say anything).

I think this will be Bolton’s consistent message to the playing group (and the reason the grin was gone at the latest presser).

Despite the poor quarters, at orange time, in rounds 1 and 2, the games are there to be won. The final quarters have been disappointing given that context.

Why have they been underwhelming when it counts?

It’s the $64,000 question.

Is it skill?

Is it fitness?

Is it mental?

You can measure the first two but not the last. For me it’s mental. You need a number of players to ‘stand up’ in those situations. This is where our inexperience kills us. Apart from Cripps who else is capable of dominating a game when it counts.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.
Oh, I'm not losing my patience quite yet. I've got plenty of time, for Bolton to continue and for the players to grow and to develop.

But it is very, very difficult to make that kind of a message stick when you're losing a lot. If you've got it, and you get beaten, you get worn down, and the passion for it can ebb away; you become accustomed to the level of loss, and when it's your turn to go, you don't just do it instinctively the way you should.

In terms of realism, it's hard to say whether or not we should be further ahead than we are. The injury toll last year ate into our squad's familiarity with each other, their ability to play to the gameplan instinctively, and their individual development time; provide all of that, and there is absolutely zero reason we couldn't be doing what the Lions are doing at the moment. What we notice right now - about specific players being down, about a lack of options, about a lack at times of control or ability to stem the flow or seeming plan when the game's against us (and, for a portion of the second, we definitely looked like a side bereft of plans) - is precisely because of last year. If we insert 2 things (2017 Murphy and Kruezer) into Saturday's game, we probably win that match.

Lack of experience is certainly a factor. However, apart from Cripps, we have no other player that can take the game on and have a presence. All good sides have several. We have a bunch of kids and experienced players like Murphy, Simmo and Thomas that cannot do that. Hoping that McGovern can take on that role a little more as the season progresses. A win this weekend will do wonders for the confidence of our young group. Kennedy and JSOS are must ins this week.

Lack of experience is certainly a factor. However, apart from Cripps, we have no other player that can take the game on and have a presence. All good sides have several. We have a bunch of kids and experienced players like Murphy, Simmo and Thomas that cannot do that. Hoping that McGovern can take on that role a little more as the season progresses. A win this weekend will do wonders for the confidence of our young group. Kennedy and JSOS are must ins this week.
This. None of our senior players are physical beasts. While Ed is playing in the forward line. We have Cripps in the middle and the next best thing is to put Kennedy in there.

Reading between the lines (I love saying that because then you can say anything).

I think this will be Bolton’s consistent message to the playing group (and the reason the grin was gone at the latest presser).

Despite the poor quarters, at orange time, in rounds 1 and 2, the games are there to be won. The final quarters have been disappointing given that context.

Why have they been underwhelming when it counts?

It’s the $64,000 question.

Is it skill?

Is it fitness?

Is it mental?

You can measure the first two but not the last. For me it’s mental. You need a number of players to ‘stand up’ in those situations. This is where our inexperience kills us. Apart from Cripps who else is capable of dominating a game when it counts.

Patience Grasshopper, patience.
I think by the time a game enters the "orange' zone, heightened energy levels are down, adrenaline is scarce, and a player is left to rely, moreso, on the soundness of his fitness and his underlying repetitive skill set. Similar, to what is said about tall players not shrinking as they tire, soundly skilled players don't err as much as lesser skilled players. Comparative to some of their team-mates, we have a few players at the lower end of the natural skill ladder who get exposed when the pressure is on.

Last edited:
I'm still struggling to understand what people see in Garlett, every time he's near the ball I cringe. I hope the experiment works out but geez.

Not suggesting Walsh is struggling yet, but he will, they always do in the first and second year. When that happens then he goes to the Magoo's. Have to be consistent and set a standard.

I don't think he will go to the 2's, if he starts struggling they will give him a week or two not playing at any level then bring him back into the 1's. They did it with SPS in his first year giving him a week of around the bye so he got 2 weeks, came back and had just one game under 15 touches until the last 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dow has pleasantly surprised this year. I always thought he'd struggle in the short term as I thought being tall and skinny, he'd start to lose his point of difference: explosive pace as he tries to bulk up. But he's only improved and looks to be a great prospect.

In the long term, I like him better than Walsh even. Controversial I know.

Dow is coming along nicely, just needs to keep developing his body, I think he's going to be a big strong bull of a bloke. Walsh is and always will be a league above Dow, he's something special. Expecting to see Dow really come on next season, usually it's about three years before inside mids really start to come on.

Dow is coming along nicely, just needs to keep developing his body, I think he's going to be a big strong bull of a bloke. Walsh is and always will be a league above Dow, he's something special. Expecting to see Dow really come on next season, usually it's about three years before inside mids really start to come on.
Majority agree with you but I see Dow having a higher ceiling simply because other than endurance, he's physically and athletically more gifted.

Bigger frame, taller, more explosive speed. Now, Walsh has him covered for general footy smarts and reading play, but Dow's role could be different.

I am salivating to see the 3 of them (Cripps) all together in their prime. With SPS adding the silk. Holy s**t

Majority agree with you but I see Dow having a higher ceiling simply because other than endurance, he's physically and athletically more gifted.

Bigger frame, taller, more explosive speed. Now, Walsh has him covered for general footy smarts and reading play, but Dow's role could be different.

I am salivating to see the 3 of them (Cripps) all together in their prime. With SPS adding the silk. Holy s**t

I think they will be different players, not sure he has more explosive speed, Walsh is just about our quickest mid. Certainly a good clutch of young talent, really hoping that Setterfield really comes on and Stocker. We're in a great position too where if we add some serious talent to it we could set ourselves up to have the strongest midfield in the competition in a few years time.

To me Dow is probably going to be a near pure inside midfielder and Walsh an inside and outside midfielder. The numbers Walsh is producing for a first year player, only the very best mids do that, don't be surprised if in 3 or 4 years Walsh goes past Cripps as well. There are very very few players who come in in their first year and have the impact and produce the numbers he is currently.

I'd love to see Stocker and O'Brien break into the side and start playing some good footy and then us to draft one or two really good mids through trade or free agency and just dominate in the midfield for years to come. It would set our whole team up.

I think they will be different players, not sure he has more explosive speed, Walsh is just about our quickest mid. Certainly a good clutch of young talent, really hoping that Setterfield really comes on and Stocker. We're in a great position too where if we add some serious talent to it we could set ourselves up to have the strongest midfield in the competition in a few years time.

To me Dow is probably going to be a near pure inside midfielder and Walsh an inside and outside midfielder. The numbers Walsh is producing for a first year player, only the very best mids do that, don't be surprised if in 3 or 4 years Walsh goes past Cripps as well. There are very very few players who come in in their first year and have the impact and produce the numbers he is currently.

I'd love to see Stocker and O'Brien break into the side and start playing some good footy and then us to draft one or two really good mids through trade or free agency and just dominate in the midfield for years to come. It would set our whole team up.
Mmm Im a big Walsh fan but getting a bit carried away here.

Better than Cripps would mean best player in the comp or thereabouts. It is possible, but unlikely.

He is not slow and may be quick as a link player but doesn't have burst speed or explosiveness. Dow does.

An elite mid would be a nice add but Id much rather an elite small forward.

Between Cripps Walsh Dow SPS Setterfield Kennedy LOB Stocker we already have 8 really excellent mids or prospective mids.

Mmm Im a big Walsh fan but getting a bit carried away here.

Better than Cripps would mean best player in the comp or thereabouts. It is possible, but unlikely.

He is not slow and may be quick as a link player but doesn't have burst speed or explosiveness. Dow does.

An elite mid would be a nice add but Id much rather an elite small forward.

Between Cripps Walsh Dow SPS Setterfield Kennedy LOB Stocker we already have 8 really excellent mids or prospective mids.

Correct, it's very likely, Walsh will be up there. Haven't seen many first year players this good. I wouldn't be confident Walsh not having as good or better burst speed as Dow, both are good.

Don't see much of Dow's explosive speed but he doesn't seem much of a slouch and is playing that inside role. Walsh is quick enough off the mark, doesn't need to be lightning to be a very good player, it's his running patterns and evasive movements that make him so good. He often has a lot of time with the ball in hand because of this and this is something the elite players have.

Really good small forward would be great. No doubt we will chase some. We've tried to develop our own and bring some budget ones. I still have hope for Polson, he's got some really good attributes, I thought his game V Port was great as was how he finished last season. Will be interesting to see what he can produce if we can get 50 games into him he might just turn into a pretty good player. But he's just one player. It's not like we don't have players there with the potential to develop but yes I still think we need to bring in a good small forward.

Cripps, Walsh, Dow, SPS, Setterfield all looking really good. Kennedy, LOB, Stocker have quite some ways to go before we consider them excellent but with time and development who knows. They first need to get in and cement their place in the team. There's room for an elite mid or two there.

Will be interesting to see what we manufacture this year recruitment wise that's for sure.

Well he had 13 touches so that’s a lot of needless cringing
13 touches with 4 turnovers(the majority of which were crucial to the result) and barely over 100 metres gained, while Motlop kicked 3. What purpose is he filling there? Just a genuine question.

Pre. I'm So Excited. - The Curnow Brothers.

!st. Happy. - Pharrell Williams-on.

Charlie down. Bruised to the Bone. - George Usedtobegood.

2nd. Skyfall. - Port Adele-ade.

HT. Come on Myteam. - Dexy's Banned Runners.

3rd. No Second Prize. - Wayne-y Harmes.

4th. It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Keep Missing Goals). - Aker Dacker.

Post. I Don't Want to Talk About it. - Tom Stewart.

Carlton Football Club: The Round Two Review

Once again, I'll say this:

I am not an accomplished writer. I don't have any proper experience. And I will think differently from everybody else. So I plea for you to be constructive with any criticism or feedback. No insults.
Great effort and its pretty spot on,,, IMO there is not much to disagree with there...

Back