Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 10 but Green Shoots return

Remove this Banner Ad

Until Pickett is back he simply has to be in the side

Why?

Hasn't offered much run. May be better off with more mid depth allowing us to rotate Cripps, Fisher, SPS, Kerridge etc. forward more often.

Pair Garlett and Lebois up in the VFL to work in tandem up forward. Could be good for both of them.

I am not sure you can call being on the receiving end of a 50m kick under pressure as a Joe the goose. It was a great kick by Fisher but McKay was clearly where he should have been, Fisher barley looked.
I'm not terribly involved in this, but I think if you rewatch the tape you'll find that we pressured them on exiting our forward fifty, they coughed it up and Fish threw it on the boot as soon as he got it. McKay was alone because, as far as their defenders knew, they had the ball; the kick, regardless of its mongrel punt and utter lack of direction went straight to him. He didn't even have to move.

It'd be great if Fish meant it, but if someone told me he did I'd think they were full of s**t.

Why?

Hasn't offered much run. May be better off with more mid depth allowing us to rotate Cripps, Fisher, SPS, Kerridge etc. forward more often.

Pair Garlett and Lebois up in the VFL to work in tandem up forward. Could be good for both of them.
Need speed in the front six. With McKay and Casboult down there we will already be a bit slow

I'm not terribly involved in this, but I think if you rewatch the tape you'll find that we pressured them on exiting our forward fifty, they coughed it up and Fish threw it on the boot as soon as he got it. McKay was alone because, as far as their defenders knew, they had the ball; the kick, regardless of its mongrel punt and utter lack of direction went straight to him. He didn't even have to move.

It'd be great if Fish meant it, but if someone told me he did I'd think they were full of s**t.
It want a mongrel punt it was a kick to the top of the square - Fisher kicked it to where he was supposed to, McKay was standing where he was supposed to. Doing the simp,e things right is very important.

Not sure if its been mentioned already however these are the Eagles goals that were scored after 20 min mark. It's no coincidence when you have a young team who tire late in quarters. That's 8 of the 10 goals.

1st 29.00
2nd 21.15, 25.49
3rd 23.06, 28.24, 31.40, 33.49
4th 24.55

We've given away 11 goals this year after the 28 min mark of qtrs, 4 last week.

Happy with the effort and the way we played on the weekend. Since Richmond it was the first time we didn't look all at sea and embarrassing.

Shows you the gameplan is now the dominant element in success. That WCE gameplan gave Jones and others a chance to shine and not look a fool. It's all I ask while we wait for the youngsters to physically mature.

Another example of a gameplan being all important is Doedee and Lever at their respective clubs. Doedee has come in and taken Lever's role and looks a million dollars while Lever has lost the defensive structure at Adelaide and no longer looks worth the draft picks and salary paid.

Gameplan can make or break some players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can all agree the highlight was Kennedy not becoming the WCE highest ever goal scorer. Being in WA that’s what all the texts contained from mates all week, apparently it happening against Carlton was justice. So despite losing I could reply saying, tough t***ies Kennedy

Also from WA and i constantly cop "how many premierships did the judd trade get you, it was a failure!" My normal response is it got us the same amount as Kennedy got them. Wce supporters are nearly as bad as collingwood supporters..

Not sure if its been mentioned already however these are the Eagles goals that were scored after 20 min mark. It's no coincidence when you have a young team who tire late in quarters. That's 8 of the 10 goals.

1st 29.00
2nd 21.15, 25.49
3rd 23.06, 28.24, 31.40, 33.49
4th 24.55

I’m convinced the time keeper went to sleep for 5 minutes at the end of the third quarter

McKay slow? No he's not.
You'll be surprised just how much toe he has....without the turf toe.
For his size I know he isn't slow. I'd be very surprised to see him run down a small defender or midfielder though. With Casboult also unable to chase them down we need as many quicks as possible down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back