Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 10 but Green Shoots return

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if its been mentioned already however these are the Eagles goals that were scored after 20 min mark. It's no coincidence when you have a young team who tire late in quarters. That's 8 of the 10 goals.

1st 29.00
2nd 21.15, 25.49
3rd 23.06, 28.24, 31.40, 33.49
4th 24.55

mate that's just my opinion v yours

nothing to do with what you find ordinary
Marc is Captain as as such is the leader of the team
There would not be many independent observers of the game that would believe that the team is well skippered

in the face of that realty.. your opinion is ordinary..

stop trying to run down opinions and just accept were not all the same.
amazing
Don’t dig at someone’s opinion and use generalised sweeping comments to suggest everyone agrees with you. Mate, plenty in the footy world, actually in the footy world, think Marc is a very good captain.

If you were a player looking to cruise through your career, who would you choose as Captain?
A. Murphy who is as inoffensive as possible
B. Cripps/Doc who will get in your face when you don’t meet standards

Could be a reason why Murphy keeps getting voted in by guys who cannot stay on our list, due to not meeting the required standards for an AFL footballer
Behind closed doors is a different story. We know Bolton isn’t a smiley school teacher behind closed doors, so why assume Marc is quiet and a push over?

Not sure if its been mentioned already however these are the Eagles goals that were scored after 20 min mark. It's no coincidence when you have a young team who tire late in quarters. That's 8 of the 10 goals.

1st 29.00
2nd 21.15, 25.49
3rd 23.06, 28.24, 31.40, 33.49
4th 24.55
kill me

Not the result we were after, but plenty of positives to take from this game regardless.

We reverted to a more defensive style & we looked significantly better for it. I am happy to explore a more offensively minded game plan, but the coaching staff has to be able to adapt according to the cattle out on the park.

Right now we just don't have the players to execute an attacking game plan - shelve it until later in the year when we've got more speed at our disposal.

Cripps - Just a phenomenal footballer and we are very lucky to have him. Led from the front all day and for mine was comfortably BOG.

Dow - Excellent first half, drifted out of the game after half time. Continues to improve each week and we must persist with him at senior level. His clearance work is very good and will only get better as he continues to adjust to the pace of AFL football.

Jones - Excellent performance in his 100th game, back to the form he showed last year. Do not underestimate how important Rowe was in this regard, as it freed Jones up to play his natural game. Will be interesting to see what happens when Marchbank and Weitering are ready to return. A very good problem to have.

Rowe - Welcome back Sam. Played exceptionally well on Kennedy, and as above, allowed Jones to play his more natural attacking style. Made some errors, but you know what you're going to get from Sam every week and that is 100% effort.

LOB - Looks very comfortable at senior level already. Nowhere near as outside as many seem to think, and his running and disposal is exceptional. As with Dow, the more games we can get into him this year, the better.

McKay - 4 goals is a very good return in just his third senior game, having said that I thought he was good without being great. Moves exceptionally well for his size, but still has a way to go yet when it comes to imposing himself on a contest. Will be thrilled if we can get 10-15 senior games into him this year.

Garlett - Had a quiet game, but his marking really lets him down. Dropped MOTY against the Suns earlier this year, and must have dropped half a dozen marks he should have taken on the weekend. I wonder if it is a poor technique or just a lack of concentration. Some calling for him to be dropped, which is understandable, but I'd rather we continue to get games into him, because the more we do, the more he will improve. Still young and very inexperienced, the effort is there and the results will come.

Garlett - Had a quiet game, but his marking really lets him down. Dropped MOTY against the Suns earlier this year, and must have dropped half a dozen marks he should have taken on the weekend. I wonder if it is a poor technique or just a lack of concentration. Some calling for him to be dropped, which is understandable, but I'd rather we continue to get games into him, because the more we do, the more he will improve. Still young and very inexperienced, the effort is there and the results will come.
Until Pickett is back he simply has to be in the side

Until Pickett is back he simply has to be in the side

There is definitely room for both IMO.

Garlett
Pickett
Williamson
Lang
Byrne
SPS
Dow
Fisher
LOB
Cuningham

All have pace (either by foot or by ball movement) and there is room for all in the same side. And that's when you deploy a more attacking game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind closed doors is a different story. We know Bolton isn’t a smiley school teacher behind closed doors, so why assume Marc is quiet and a push over?
Inoffensive means non-combative, never said quiet or push over.

Garlett
Pickett
Williamson
Lang
Byrne
SPS
Dow
Fisher
LOB
Cuningham

All have pace (either by foot or by ball movement) and there is room for all in the same side. And that's when you deploy a more attacking game plan.
I agree. My point is that until pickett is back he has to be in the side because we can't afford to go in with 0/2

Young blokes love him. He can't do enough for them

There are many different styles of leadership but this is the one I like best (it works really well in the modern age as well). Show empathy, show you are willing to go the extra mile for you team mate, show you aren't asking them to do anything you aren't them to do anything you are doing yourself and you get more than loyalty, you get love and people do a lot more for love than they do out of loyalty.

SPS has alot of talent but is a bit lazy and thinks he is special, but Fish is down to earth and has a great work ethic as well as great skills.I think Fish is a 10 year player but SPS will not last too long at the Blues

I watched both closely on Saturday.

Effort and application were about as far apart as you could possibly get.

Garlett
Pickett
Williamson
Lang
Byrne
SPS
Dow
Fisher
LOB
Cuningham

Now that I'm looking forward to

Have to agree with that because both are worthy leaders. even though joint captains does not seem to really honour your "best player" perhaps.........time will tell and maybe Docs`injury will allow Cripps to make it his own............should happen next year imo

We need a captain that can seriously influence the the "tweeners" I.e. young guys stuck somewhere between maximising their potential (Fisher) and enjoying "being an AFL footballer (SPS???) to seriously pull their finger out and give 100% dedication on AND off the track.

We need serious talent AND 42 guys with attitudes like Ed, Fish, Cripps and Doc to diet, preparation, recovery, playing to team plans, sacrificing for the team etc etc.

Those 4 can't carry everyone else by their actions on the field alone.

IMHO whichever player has the personality and drive to do this should be captain.

I didn’t anticipate G’s response either!

For anyone who doesn’t enjoy reading but wants to lay claim to having read a ‘classic’ for the sake of appearing ‘learned’ or ‘cultured’ at the next dinner party, Of Mice and Men is a good place to start. Short and sweet - a novella :) (remembering that word will add to the illusion!) ... might just kick-start a new winter hobby to help you through the dark Carlton days! Fire, good book, Hot Toddy - the epitome of cosiness

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
“Travels with Charlie”, for mine if you want a great Steinbeck novel...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back