Autopsy 2023 Rd 9 Blues tease but go down again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Dogs in Round 9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Funniest part of this game is when people just couldn’t be stuffed booing jonesy anymore. First the players copped it then jonesy was copping it for a good while and eventually the whole crowd was just booing the umpires in unison. God I love our supporters

Weve learnt from the best, the players 🤣. Sounds like a carlton game - give it a crack and then fade away - the old adam simpson analogy of Carlton

What would we have gained from keeping them is perhaps the more pertinent question. Just because the coach we signed up subsequently didn't pan out doesn't mean the original dismissal was a poor decision. The poor decision was the hiring of the new coach that also wasn't up to it.

What would we have gained from keeping Malthouse? A further fractured and divided club.

What would we have kept by keeping Bolton? I believe he was loved by the players on a personal level, but it definitely got to a point where it was clear that there was too much mental load on the players. Bolts was very rigid and structured and while that was great for developing professionalism in kids it got to the point where it was a hinderance more than a help. Further, it was apparent he was quite stubborn with his set up, I'm not sure extra support would've been received and implemented.

Teague? It was clear he was in over his head and had lost the players completely. Keeping him would've done nothing. Maybe extra support early would've helped but by the time he was let go it was the right call.

To me, like I said at the start, the incorrect hasn't been to let them go. How many have gone on to be good head coaches elsewhere and shown us how wrong we were?

I think you could easily make a good case for previous dismissals individually as you have done but it falls apart in my opinion as a whole.

If we are sacking coaches and their replacement is no better time after time then it stands to reason that Carlton is struggling to identify the actual problem. It's the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result. Successful clubs and others trying to emulate them seem intent on keeping coaches long term through thick and thin.

Mcrae for example has shown himself to be a great coach for Collingwood but it helps that his players haven't been instructed by 4 different coaches beforehand. A chaotic environment provides opportunities but stability is needed for consistency. This is something that Carlton needs to learn eventually.

It's the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result
No it isn't :). Sorry had to interject. Get tired of this over used saying as it's incorrect. Insanity is an illness - doing things over and over again is scientific or a sign of perseverance. Has little to do with 'madness' - in the case of a child putting their hand on a hot stove it's just dumb which again isn't insanity that's stupidity! (And Einstein likely never actually said it. It's also been attributed to mark twain and others and is likely just made up)

But carry on the rest of the post is great reading 😬

I think you could easily make a good case for previous dismissals individually as you have done but it falls apart in my opinion as a whole.

If we are sacking coaches and their replacement is no better time after time then it stands to reason that Carlton is struggling to identify the actual problem. It's the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result. Successful clubs and others trying to emulate them seem intent on keeping coaches long term through thick and thin.

Mcrae for example has shown himself to be a great coach for Collingwood but it helps that his players haven't been instructed by 4 different coaches beforehand. A chaotic environment provides opportunities but stability is needed for consistency. This is something that Carlton needs to learn eventually.
I'd agree partly. I agree what's around the coaches hasn't worked, however, also I don't believe the coaches would have worked long term regardless. Maybe it can with Voss - I'm not arguing to sack him here - I think he can be a great motivating coach and be a leader of men, however, perhaps he needs help with tactics, gameplan and philosophy of modern footy. That's fine, and to your point, that's where the club perhaps falls apart and isn't identifying the holistic approach to footy.

I think our approach was flawed from the beginning in our most recent search for a coach, further to your point around the club failing the coaches and not the other way around necessarily. Going into the search saying we only want an experienced coach, to me, was a flawed one. To your Mcrae point, we immediately put ourselves out of the market for him, and for what reason? I understood it in why you go for big guns like Clarkson and Lyon, but once they say no you need to broaden your search instead of limiting it. Again not to say Voss was the wrong choice, more critiquing that process as a flawed one. History hasn't been kind to 2nd time coaches after failed first stints, and that was the market we put ourselves into.

No it isn't :). Sorry had to interject. Get tired of this over used saying as it's incorrect. Insanity is an illness - doing things over and over again is scientific or a sign of perseverance. Has little to do with 'madness' - in the case of a child putting their hand on a hot stove it's just dumb which again isn't insanity that's stupidity! (And Einstein likely never actually said it. It's also been attributed to mark twain and others and is likely just made up)

It's a classic misattribution...

I'm curious.

Who think Tom L. is quicker than any of Cripps, Kennedy or Hewett?

Yet he was BOG clearly?

It's not speed, although I think our mix has been wrong/out of form, it's choosing the wrong option out of congestion.

We might kick long, when a handball over the top to a player in space means the next kick is more targeted and deeper in F50 or we handball ever backwards, then go long to shallow entry with the oppo flooded back.

Win the ball, take the first/best option heading forward.

We do the former OK but let ourselves down on the latter atm.

I'm curious.

Who think Tom L. is quicker than any of Cripps, Kennedy or Hewett?

Yet he was BOG clearly?
Its not a running race for ball extractors like Tom and our players that you've named.

Watch the replay and you will see how quickly Tom reacts to a ball on the ground in congestion and in dispute...puts his head down, hands to the ball and in an instant extracts the ball out and either hand passes or gets ball to boot in a flash.

None of our guys have those skills or reaction time.

Ideally we can find a player like that to compliment our mids.

It's not speed, although I think our mix has been wrong/out of form, it's choosing the wrong option out of congestion.

We might kick long, when a handball over the top to a player in space means the next kick is more targeted and deeper in F50 or we handball ever backwards, then go long to shallow entry with the oppo flooded back.

Win the ball, take the first/best option heading forward.

We do the former OK but let ourselves down on the latter atm.
On that backwards handball. I've noticed we never, well.. very rarely, change angle with the handball so the forward running pressure players from the opposition can just use momentum to continually apply pressure through the handball chain.

Its not a running race for ball extractors like Tom and our players that you've named.

Watch the replay and you will see how quickly Tom reacts to a ball on the ground in congestion and in dispute...puts his head down, hands to the ball and in an instant extracts the ball out and either hand passes or gets ball to boot in a flash.

None of our guys have those skills or reaction time.

Ideally we can find "our guys" short.

You're underselling "our guys"!

They're just out of form (Bam Bam aside).

Modern psychology has basically abandoned the term "insane" pretty much entirely to be honest. Movies, comics and other things have given people a very distorted view of people suffering from actual psychosis. Losing touch with cause and effect has no relation to scientific method and undeveloped children either. Calling someone insane these days is more on par with calling them foolish since it's no longer a proper medical diagnosis.

If a child is able to touch a hot stove multiple times then I'd question their caretakers mental state not the child's. Perseverance isn't an excuse for someone who wants to keep swimming in the pool till they are no longer wet too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst thing about this game, was the Dogs are average at best...
They were the least impressive top 8 team I've seen this year...

We might as well of not turned up in the first half and the first 10 minutes of the third...

Our ball use was atrocious...

It took Voss and Co and the players,
2 and a bit quarters to realise the dogs were flooding the defensive corridor in our forward line,
they'd just spoil to the corridor where they had numbers and launch up the middle on turnover.
Lead to some easy goals, at the end of the second, start of the third and end of the last. Which was the difference in the game.

We played better in the second half when we put speed on the ball (which should give us some confidence and proof quicker ball movement is the key),

However in the second half a lot of the time we still moved the ball too slow ..
We take a mark stop go back look around then make a decision, the dog take a mark then go and make a decision on the run...

Quick one on this;

Both teams we played have been flying, we played a great brand of shyteness, still only losing by 3 goals.

There’s something in the margin given we have nothing but upside.
Our game plan seems to reduce being scored against:heavycheck:
but the price we pay is our own inability to score.

I'm still optimistic that we can win this week, but we need to bring pressure,(and faster ball movement)

Last edited:
Send this to the Club!
imagine the shock for the coaching panel when they are told the players are not performing and why - to be a fly on the wall observing the dropped jaws

Blocking and Shepherding, still remain totally nonexistent within our game, another fundamental that we somehow don’t implement more regularly…

Yep a clear sign we are still playing school boy football not understanding the importance of doing team oriented things.

Why block and shepherd when you can run next to your teammate screaming for the ball.....:rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

As much as I love Walsh he is one of the worst offenders for calling for ball even when he’s under extreme pressure.

Back