Autopsy 2023 Rd 6 Misfiring Blues drop their bundle again

These are the answers ... what was the question again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is over thinking this one - we kick straight and we win - the thing that is blocking our objectivity (aside for 20 years of losing) is that we did the exact same thing last year against this mob.

Lyon’s presser was laughable - and possibly done to evoke a response from aggrieved Blues supporters - he knows deep down he won a game they had no right to win. If we kick straight we will smash them next time we play them.

The problem is until we kick straight we run the risk of losing games like this and GWS and West Coast and whoever. The game plan is good enough to keep us in games long enough provided we execute on the scoreboard.
No, sorry, we’re miles off it. 4 of our goals came from free kicks we only score 4 others. When the whips were cracking we s**t ourselves.
Unsure, hesitant and predictable. With all this talent, it’s a travesty that the coaches serve this up. Simply must change and NOW. Game plan is not up to it. We’ve gone backwards and it kills me!

The point is, he used to be able to kick goals from the left hand side.
By choosing to snap more, he has destroyed his confidence in kicking drop punts (and I assume practising them a lot less), and therefore killed his percentage of goals kicked from positions where the snap is not the optimal choice (ie anywhere to the left, anywhere further than 30-35 out).

I have no doubt that a snap is a higher percentage shot from certain area of the field. But a lot more of the area inside the 50 meter arc is not that optimal area. So overall, he'd have a much higher percentage conversion if the drop punt was his go-to, most practiced kick.

The other aspect is the importance of routine. A drop punt set shot is the same routine every time. Don't need to think, just follow the routine. With a snap, the routine varies for every shot.
Voss should mandate that H practices drop punts more, and limit the where on the field he is allowed to snap. Confidence, and a higher conversion rate will follow.
I’ll have to take your word for it. I don’t ever remember him doing well on the left forward pocket or flank

Everyone is over thinking this one - we kick straight and we win - the thing that is blocking our objectivity (aside for 20 years of losing) is that we did the exact same thing last year against this mob.

Lyon’s presser was laughable - and possibly done to evoke a response from aggrieved Blues supporters - he knows deep down he won a game they had no right to win. If we kick straight we will smash them next time we play them.

The problem is until we kick straight we run the risk of losing games like this and GWS and West Coast and whoever. The game plan is good enough to keep us in games long enough provided we execute on the scoreboard.

BINGO - we have 4 forwards that cant kick a goal - no coach can win a game with that kind of baggage. Accuracy or lack thereof cost us finals last year- and will cost us finals this year and accuracy isn't a stat it has 4 names attached to it at Carlton and one out of form Harry as well.

If I was Voss I would be trying as hard as possible to FIX teh Fisher and Jack forward flanks - with people who can actually kick a regulation 30 meter set shot.

BINGO - we have 4 forwards that cant kick a goal - no coach can win a game with that kind of baggage. Accuracy or lack thereof cost us finals last year- and will cost us finals this year and accuracy isn't a stat it has 4 names attached to it at Carlton and one out of form Harry as well.

If I was Voss I would be trying as hard as possible to FIX teh Fisher and Jack forward flanks - with people who can actually kick a regulation 30 meter set shot.
Just can't agree with this, well not in full. Had we kicked straighter earlier we may had had enough of a lead. The reality is we have no real game plan, the midfield is slow so when the tap is in space we lose the centre clearance nearly every time and our forward 50 entries are the worst in the league. Blaming goal kicking alone masks some real deficiencies that need addressing immediately.

I’m all for fixing our inaccuracy in front of goal and I don’t want to point fingers at any particular player for any perceived inadequacy in this particular skill of the game - but didn’t St Kilda have more scoring shots than we did.

And some nouse by the midfield on where to set the forwards up to receive would help. No good passing out to the pockets...just give the ball to who's around the square. That would straighten us up instantly. if Harry or Charlie run wide ignore them. They will soon learn.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just can't agree with this, well not in full. Had we kicked straighter earlier we may had had enough of a lead. The reality is we have no real game plan, the midfield is slow so when the tap is in space we lose the centre clearance nearly every time and our forward 50 entries are the worst in the league. Blaming goal kicking alone masks some real deficiencies that need addressing immediately.
The jury is in - Jack Silvagni can’t kick accurately for goal - time to move on from him.

The jury is in - Jack Silvagni can’t kick accurately for goal - time to move on from him.
I could have sworn that despite that one bad miss he still managed to kick two goals. One of them was even from a source other than free kicks, which I'm reliably informed was a rare commodity this week. Guess I must have imagined it.

I could have sworn that despite that one bad miss he still managed to kick two goals. One of them was even from a source other than free kicks, which I'm reliably informed was a rare commodity this week. Guess I must have imagined it.
what do you think about jsos career goal average of 0.73?

do you think it stacks up when compared to other third talls whom mostly range 1-1.5 ?

i think it is clear that he and some of our other forwards need to kick more goals.

kicking 2 over the weekend was great. but he needs to do it more often wouldnt you agree?

He kicked 2 goals 3 behinds. Sunday was his time to step up and he failed to take it - unsurprising given he has never kicked more than 3 goals in a game nor has he kicked more than 20 goals in a season - he is bog average for a third forward and I’m sure if his surname wasn’t Silvagni this board would be baying for his blood.

JSoS is the new Armfield I guess. Battles hard and has his moments but shouldn't be best 22 in a team aiming for the top eight. I liked Armfield for his effort, speed and character but I hated his footskills/brainfarts. Unironically Armfield would be probably be best 22 in our current side though....which is concerning.

Sure our atrocious kicking doesn't give Jack the best opportunities but he misses the gimmies far too often. We need more than a bit player for our third tall up forward.

We 've tried playing him as a Jack of trades....but he would be lucky to stay in the senior side for much longer.

do you think it stacks up when compared to other third talls whom mostly range 1-1.5 ?

i think it is clear that he and some of our other forwards need to kick more goals.

kicking 2 over the weekend was great. but he needs to do it more often wouldnt you agree?
I think it would be higher if we actually kicked the ball to him on a lead instead of bombing it to Harry or Charlie.
IMO most goals he has kicked are from busting his arse on leads and winning the ground ball after H and Charlie don't mark.

Plus he chases like a small, tackles and smothers kicks. Rare for any of our KPF for many years. And he even rucks! Well, too!

Do you think he would get more goals if he got targeted the same number of times as H and Charlie? What are their actual averages if we are really going to compare?

Last edited:

So Harry is 1.99 career average and Charlie is 1.89.
Hardly anything to crow about and I wouldn't be targeting a 3rd tall for criticism when they have easily worked 2 and 3 times harder for longer in their career.

The issues lay elsewhere.

The problem hasnt been defensive structure though has it? The problem isnt midfield either.
The midfield has very much been the problem this year.
They were killed by Richmond, North and Adelaide.

In terms of scoring, our 6 mids have played a combined 29 games this year for 3 goals.

I’m all for fixing our inaccuracy in front of goal and I don’t want to point fingers at any particular player for any perceived inadequacy in this particular skill of the game - but didn’t St Kilda have more scoring shots than we did.
They had more if you count the rushed (1-3), but we actually had equal shots.

It's more that if we kicked straighter when we were well on top in the first half, the scoreboard would have changed the complexion of the game.
And then the misses in the 3rd destroyed any momentum, and allowed them to get to their winning lead.

He kicked 2 goals 3 behinds. Sunday was his time to step up and he failed to take it - unsurprising given he has never kicked more than 3 goals in a game nor has he kicked more than 20 goals in a season - he is bog average for a third forward and I’m sure if his surname wasn’t Silvagni this board would be baying for his blood.
Do you think if his surname wasn't Silvagni that he would give his blood, sweat and tears the way that he does?
Holy Shitballs, what if his name was Plowman?! Or O'Brien!
What would you think then!

I think it would be higher if we actually kicked the ball to him on a lead instead of bombing it to Harry or Charlie.
IMO most goals he has kicked are from busting his arse on leads and winning the ground ball after H and Charlie don't mark.

Plus he chases like a small, tackles and smothers kicks. Rare for any of our KPF for many years.

Do you think he would get more goals if he got targeted the same number of times as H and Charlie? What are their actual averages if we are really going to compare?

Nobody in our side is getting it lace out though. Jack has good moments but needs more good or great games. I see him as our barometer though unfortunately. He does a lot of likeable things but his kicking and brain fades cost us a lot too.

H and Charlie get the lion share of our slow highly telegraphed hail mary's inside 50's. What a huge honour they have been given by the CFC. They are also coleman medallists fighting multiple defenders because our smalls are usually off....somewhere instead of trying to crumb. Defensively they are s**t house but that's a team wide issue at the moment.

Back