Autopsy 2023 Rd 9 Blues tease but go down again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Dogs in Round 9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches' Votes

9 - Tom Liberatore (WB)
8 - Ed Richards (WB)
5 - Bailey Smith (WB)
3 - Jason Johannisen (WB)
2 - Liam Jones (WB)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 - Bailey Dale (WB)

Think our ball movement and transition from D50 to forward line has been our achillies heel for a while (was an issue last year and before).

Our kicking skills and decision making moving the ball for way needs to improve massively. Not sure it can be fixed all that quickly tbh…hopefully it can.

Perhaps it's as simple as we just don't have enough in the team with good kicking skills and decision making.

However in terms of the two ways we play, slow and steady vs throw caution to the wind I'd actually prefer losing while throwing caution and coughing it up vs slow and steady and coughing it up.

While we staggered to the line a number of times in the first half last year we looked a lot scarier than the diplorable 2023 version.

The team is not ruthless, lacks confidence leading to indecision and iffy basic skills, get out of your ******* heads Carlton and just play footy. Go back to enjoying the game you used to love playing and stop worrying about September.

Coaches' Votes

9 - Tom Liberatore (WB)
8 - Ed Richards (WB)
5 - Bailey Smith (WB)
2 - Liam Jones (WB)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 - Bailey Dale (WB)
4 Dogs Defenders in the votes.... indictment on our Forward line production & most importantly their pressure.

OK so a couple of days have passed & I’ve all but blocked out the shambolisms of games past - willing to look for some positives from that performance.

(oh lord, wait…fighting off the quick sharp shock of a painful recall - unending ballooned kicks for goal ….oh god!)

OK breeeaaath….one Mississippi, two…

….So we had a 30 minute patch when we kicked 6 unanswered, won the ball, moved it Ok and converted!!!

There, I did it :).

So we have that to build on right?
I mentioned this earlier.

They should review that bit of play and work on building it up. Can see it turning quickly for us.

In parallel to that also work on
  • the last connection into f50 based on leads
  • Set shot routines
  • Watch out for oppo sneaking into our d50 when we’ve pushed up
Pretty straight forward.

Perhaps it's as simple as we just don't have enough in the team with good kicking skills and decision making.

However in terms of the two ways we play, slow and steady vs throw caution to the wind I'd actually prefer losing while throwing caution and coughing it up vs slow and steady and coughing it up.

While we staggered to the line a number of times in the first half last year we looked a lot scarier than the diplorable 2023 version.

The team is not ruthless, lacks confidence leading to indecision and iffy basic skills, get out of your ******* heads Carlton and just play footy. Go back to enjoying the game you used to love playing and stop worrying about September.
Much is made about our 8-2 start last year but you’re right we did stagger to the line a number of times in the first half last year. Gave up good leads through turnovers etc.

Agree, the stop slow steady approach just give the opposition time to set up and wait for a turnover… If this is to instructions then it’s wrong or is it just a confidence issue? Either way it’s not the way to play the whole game.

Coaches' Votes

9 - Tom Liberatore (WB)
8 - Ed Richards (WB)
5 - Bailey Smith (WB)
2 - Liam Jones (WB)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 - Bailey Dale (WB)
Think Tom easily earnt top votes.

I reckon Liam has improved since he left our club. He had a pretty good night also. Certainly made it difficult for our talls.

Much is made about our 8-2 start last year but you’re right we did stagger to the line a number of times in the first half last year. Gave up good leads through turnovers etc.

Agree, the stop slow steady approach just give the opposition time to set up and wait for a turnover… If this is to instructions then it’s wrong or is it just a confidence issue? Either way it’s not the way to play the whole game.

Which we do with monotonous regularity (the bolded bit).

This would not be instruction from anyone ever but Voss must be going grey very quickly watching the team fail to execute basic skills.

Think Tom easily earnt top votes.

I reckon Liam has improved since he left our club. He had a pretty good night also. Certainly made it difficult for our talls.
He was an exceptional defender and Carlton and a far better player than Young. Yes he had the odd brain fade but the good far outweighed the bad and at times he was rightly in the discussion for AA (if not for the stigma of being Liam Jones, he might have made the squad of 40).

He was an exceptional defender and Carlton and a far better player than Young. Yes he had the odd brain fade but the good far outweighed the bad and at times he was rightly in the discussion for AA (if not for the stigma of being Liam Jones, he might have made the squad of 40).
He is sorely missed in our backline.

Took a long time and desperate last move to defence for Liam to make it.
Young is still young. Not a good comparison by any means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet again an opposition half back line rips us apart.

And this statement tells us all we need to know about the players we currently use in our forward half, we just don't apply any worth while pressure to lock the ball in.

Add in our treacle slow ball movement plus poor skills/decisions and we are where we are.

Coaches' Votes

9 - Tom Liberatore (WB)
8 - Ed Richards (WB)
5 - Bailey Smith (WB)
2 - Liam Jones (WB)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 - Bailey Dale (WB)

Another guy playing off Cripps getting the most coaches votes again.....

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

All of the players you mentioned from 95 had leadership qualities, name 7 of our current team who show genuine leadership. We are bereft of it, everyone can talk up a good game but when it comes to delivering when things get tough, it's crickets. I agree with you, if it's not coming from the top tier players, then forget it.
It was a great team, IMO I am surprised it didn't deliver more. Growing up following us then, those guys would stand up and win games or at least keep you in games, it's just what top level players who are hungry to win do. I would surprise our cream as going through the motions at the moment. There aren't really any players in our side who stand up in close games and be the difference. Yeah leadership is lacking. Leaders go harder, others go into their shells and play with their heads down.

We lack the personalities in the team IMO.

Preface this by saying I haven’t read every post so might be stating the obvious. Watched a reply and could not believe how often our forwards and wings were trailing behind their opponents.
Johannissen, Williams, Richards, Dale arguably in the Bulldogs best four/five players in the first half. Acres and Hollands in particular were just owned. Starting Walsh at half forward gives us one extra at the contest but leaves us brutally exposed in transition.

Correct but those reviews showed those coaches weren't the issue. If they did show they were the issue, they'd have been sacked. You don't just keep a coach on for the sake of it.

Which of our last few coaches deserved to stay on? Malthouse, Bolton or Teague really showed they should be the long term coach? There's sacking coaches quickly but I'd suggest they all were the right decision. Malthouse destroyed the club, Bolton was a good transition/rebuild coach but showed he couldn't take us the next step, Teague got the job on a whirlwind of fan/past club figures support but then later showed he wasn't much more than the classic "interim coach sugar hit" and we fell into that trap.

Of our past few sacked coaches the only really aggressive one I'd say was Ratten. He probably didn't deserve it at that time. But since then I don't think any coach has shown we made a mistake by moving on. Even Ratts to be honest.

It's easy to say look at these stable clubs they don't move on coaches... well of course they don't, because they're good coaches.

Any coach with ambition would leap at the Carlton job. There wouldn't be many better provided you're good at your job.

I'm not sure if you are seeing how we've sacked all these coaches and gotten nothing from doing so though? It's almost like we hire and sack coaches on the basis of "the team is never allowed to have poor form again....

Other clubs have held firm when things were looking grim and it panned out well for them. We've never given anyone a chance to really achieve anything once we are all disappointed after the new coach sugar hit wears off for the team.

Carlton would've sacked Hardwick, Chris Scott, Thompson, Clarkson and MM (Collingwood) before they managed to win it all. Media loves ud more than any other club because we are by far the easiest to pressure into making rash decisions that only drag us down. Hell Richmond already identified and overcame their self destructive habit of sacking coaches too hastily. We may as well learn from them at some point unless we are looking to compete with other clubs flag droughts.

Funniest part of this game is when people just couldn’t be stuffed booing jonesy anymore. First the players copped it then jonesy was copping it for a good while and eventually the whole crowd was just booing the umpires in unison. God I love our supporters

I'm not sure if you are seeing how we've sacked all these coaches and gotten nothing from doing so though? It's almost like we hire and sack coaches on the basis of "the team is never allowed to have poor form again....

Other clubs have held firm when things were looking grim and it panned out well for them. We've never given anyone a chance to really achieve anything once we are all disappointed after the new coach sugar hit wears off for the team.

Carlton would've sacked Hardwick, Chris Scott, Thompson, Clarkson and MM (Collingwood) before they managed to win it all. Media loves ud more than any other club because we are by far the easiest to pressure into making rash decisions that only drag us down. Hell Richmond already identified and overcame their self destructive habit of sacking coaches too hastily. We may as well learn from them at some point unless we are looking to compete with other clubs flag droughts.
What would we have gained from keeping them is perhaps the more pertinent question. Just because the coach we signed up subsequently didn't pan out doesn't mean the original dismissal was a poor decision. The poor decision was the hiring of the new coach that also wasn't up to it.

What would we have gained from keeping Malthouse? A further fractured and divided club.

What would we have kept by keeping Bolton? I believe he was loved by the players on a personal level, but it definitely got to a point where it was clear that there was too much mental load on the players. Bolts was very rigid and structured and while that was great for developing professionalism in kids it got to the point where it was a hinderance more than a help. Further, it was apparent he was quite stubborn with his set up, I'm not sure extra support would've been received and implemented.

Teague? It was clear he was in over his head and had lost the players completely. Keeping him would've done nothing. Maybe extra support early would've helped but by the time he was let go it was the right call.

To me, like I said at the start, the incorrect hasn't been to let them go. How many have gone on to be good head coaches elsewhere and shown us how wrong we were?

Back