Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel that we talk about Stocker as though be has to show more than other players to get a game or even get some public encouragement from the coach.
He chose to sit out a year of football. If half the team last year followed suit, we forfeit the year.

Maybe it didn’t sit well with some at the club. It certainly didn't personally. As it is, he is likely to get a game, after just 6 back, and one strong performance. It's a fair stretch to cry foul.

He chose to sit out a year of football. If half the team last year followed suit, we forfeit the year.

Maybe it didn’t sit well with some at the club. It certainly didn't personally. As it is, he is likely to get a game, after just 6 back, and one strong performance. It's a fair stretch to cry foul.
unless you've got the complete story and rationale behind him leaving the hub during the season last year then it's not really appropriate for you to comment

We don't know what happened last year so we can only speculate.

He had more than one strong performance. He was strong in all of the practice matches as well.

You can cry foul if other players are getting a go with little exposed form, or if players aren't being dropped despite terrible form.

unless you've got the complete story and rationale behind him leaving the hub during the season last year then it's not really appropriate for you to comment
We don't have the complete story on any player, yet we readily criticise their performances on a weekly basis without knowing or caring what may be impacting it. There is nothing inappropriate in what I said.

I'm happy to disagree. No need to be rude. Two scoring shots that we missed in front don't mean anything. We move the ball too slowly, and as I said in the first comment on this chain, we need to make the field thinner. I'm not sure why you keep thinking you came up with it and I disagree. That was literally my point in the first post.
In fact, you have actually finally come to the same conclusion I made in my first post. We get scored heavily against and teams waltz through the middle against us because we spread the field too wide.

well done

ps, if it's a crock, then A clarkson doesn't know what he is talking about because I was having this discussion with a mate of mine that plays for Hawthorn and that is the general consensus from oppo coaches about us
We try to move the ball far too quickly from the back half. When we do control the ball (on the rare occasion) we actually look dangerous. Chip and handball, dissecting the opposition, we then break the centre line and for some reason we bomb it long
You really want to go down this road?

My read is that you're saying very similar things.

At core - compress the width of the playing surface.

You seem to differ on the preferred speed of ball movement. I tend to think that once we sort out our width, ball movement will have a natural tempo, quick when the outlet is on; measured and patient when it's not.

We don't have the complete story on any player, yet we readily criticise their performances on a weekly basis without knowing or caring what may be impacting it. There is nothing inappropriate in what I said.
so if it was a family situation where he needed to be home, or a mental health issue (or both) then do you think they players/coaches/club would be genuinely annoyed/angry/upset with him? And if they are, then maybe our club is full of a bunch of c***s... and not in the good 'mongrel' way...

You said he opted to sit out the whole year, which firstly is incorrect because he was already in the hub and the season was underway, but secondly you're really implying that he pretty much couldn't be f***** so decided to go home and play mario kart or whatever.

Albeit not happy with things, I can understand Teague's less than pleasant appearing comments about Stocker.

If Stocker is picked everyone will perceive he's been selected due to public/media drive, so his comments would be aimed at calming the farm and letting Stocker know if you're picked there's a reason and it has nothing to do with public/media.

If the kid is picked, I hope he does well and gives it his all. That's all we ask.

We don't know what happened last year so we can only speculate.

He had more than one strong performance. He was strong in all of the practice matches as well.

You can cry foul if other players are getting a go with little exposed form, or if players aren't being dropped despite terrible form.

Agree. You can't draw false parallels between last year and any other year.
Can be a big ask for an 18/19 year old to go live in a hub for 4 months. Not a normal year at all.

(assuming we are talking about Stocker?)

Bottom line is assess players on their current form/output and reward strong performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so if it was a family situation where he needed to be home, or a mental health issue (or both) then do you think they players/coaches/club would be genuinely annoyed/angry/upset with him? And if they are, then maybe our club is full of a bunch of c***s... and not in the good 'mongrel' way...

You said he opted to sit out the whole year, which firstly is incorrect because he was already in the hub and the season was underway, but secondly you're really implying that he pretty much couldn't be f***** so decided to go home and play mario kart or whatever.
You first asserted it wasn't appropriate to comment on, yet are the one to now post all sorts of speculation. Perhaps reassess your own sincerity.

Very true. It was as though he was talking about his own son making his debut every time. He'd fall over himself to give them a pump up and express excitement.
Teague pumped Parks up. Stocker has played previously.

We are at the stage that every comment is being over analysed. My main take away from the Presser is that he didn't talk about losing being ok so that's an improved presser to me.

Teague pumped Parks up. Stocker has played previously.

We are at the stage that every comment is being over analysed. My main take away from the Presser is that he didn't talk about losing being ok so that's an improved presser to me.
Every comment is being over analysed because he doesn't say anything. Then the one thing he does actually say is tempering excitement around an exciting young player.

You first asserted it wasn't appropriate to comment on, yet are the one to now post all sorts of speculation. Perhaps reassess your own sincerity.
No, I meant it's not right to say he chose to sit out a year of football, which really feels like it's saying there wasn't valid reasons behind it. Then the suggestion that perhaps it didn't sit well with the club, as it didn't sit well with you. As well as the implication that he did us a real disservice by leaving, regardless of the circumstance.
If you can't get your head around that then it's probably best I move on.

Malcom Blight - who most would agree is probably one of the best in the business - put it very well the other day. The media (and its the media, not the coaches or clubs) are obsessed with "inside" and "outside" mids. ALL players must be able to get their own footy, all players must be able to win their own ball. Any player that is just receiving the ball would be dropped pretty quickly and wouldn't have much of a career.

I agree.

To Williams - he has amazing speed, has incredible foot skills (Freo game - phwaaar) and gets his own ball. Lets complain about that shall we ?
Just need him to get to more contests.

Williams blitzing it, definitely not unfit, Ed - also blitzing it, with some additional howlers (sky bombs....??).
Not unfit?

Then that makes it worse. The number of times I saw him jogging while chasing last weekend was shocking.

If he's unfit, then we could excuse it and say he can't go with them. If not, then he's choosing not to. Which is a worry.

If we bring that slop from the PA game we're are gonna get pummelled. If Crippa can get some good first use of the ball i wanna see some standing and delivering handball work aka Judd and Kerr. None of this bullock work into no mans land and then a tumble punt going nowhere. He tends to wanna bust thru with this head down zero vision. Ok probably picking on him a bit but he can do a lot better. He's had some good games against the lions before so hoping he can reset and lead the way here. Just gotta clean up that disposal by foot. He's a devastating player if he can get going. Crippa up and about watch the rest follow.

Love to see some faster , cleaner f50 entries. I want to see this early on otherwise its gonna be a long game. Zwilliams im looking at you.
Mcgov ? I really want to see him play a bit more in the back line. id swap him out for jones for a qtr. maybe the first. just try something for forks sake.
Just gotta get mcgov back in the game. Clunking some marks consistently would be good for his confidence. How much are we paying the mcgov? sheesh.
Get SPS on the ball. Back him in 100%. He's a total instinct player wiht pure silk hands. Use him that way! don't think he really deals well with back line pressure and chasing someone around.

Wanna see the tackle count up and a bit more pack mentality around the stoppages.
Some of the players could do with listening to Mark Mac recent comments on 360 . Maybe a dinosaur sooking his balls off but he's been there and done it. Let's see some blue blood mentality. Cmon ! blues by 22.

I had a dream that my teeth were falling out horrifically and painfully.

Pretty sure this means we'll beat Brisbane and Cripps will get 35 + 3.
I checked the dental dream manual - that's almost exactly what it means, except Cripps gets 4 - again......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back