Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
so another HBF who is there to accumulate and not defend? Saad, Doc, Stocker, SPS etc.....

dumbfounded
Yep yet another played out of position .
We wont be improving our midfield and team performances until we get better ball user in their .
Stocker fits that bill .

Mate, it even tells you when the update for that player was made. Your post made it sound like we've just learnt that Charlie is on track to play in the second half of the year....that "update" was from 5 weeks ago.

View attachment 1106364
I promise you, that was not there. I, along with many others were concerned about the ominous absence of a return date for Charlie. That, has not been there.

I’m a Senior Systems Engineer, I read the source code and found that Aphro was correct. It was updated last Tuesday and I apologise to all for being a dick!

He hasn't been bloody good, almost invisible with a couple of nice touches.

If his output is the definition of 'bloody good' then we have a sh*t load of 'bloody good footballers' at present.

His output isn't enough for someone who won't be on the list next year and taking a spot of someone we could be getting a gauge wether to keep or retain (owies, honey etc)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

I'd keep Betts in for his pressure and creativity, but we really should have a second small forward in there who can get some easy goals. Betts creates, but it's always hard work and a bit of luck. Other teams seem to have small forwards who just lose their man in traffic and suddenly find themselves in space 20m out from goal for an easy mark or handball over the top.

If Durdin is "ready", give him a crack. Was touted as being close to AFL-ready when drafted, and when asked about it had this to say: “I’m ready for the next step. I’ve been playing against men for two years and I’m not scared, I’m not afraid, I’m ready to go.”

If Durdin isn't ready, chuck Owies in the mix. The knock on him at VFL level seems to be balancing his offensive and defensive play, but he always seems to find his way out the back for a few goals a game. Let Eddie harrass the opposition and let Owies babysit a half-back distributor like Rich and then hurt him the other way on a fast break.

Last edited:
Stocker will be fine, we knew he would take a little longer to adjust to AFl standards . Lets not expect a Sam Walsh type midfield performances just yet, Sam's a future AFL Champion, Liam will be a ripper as he's given the opportunity.
I'm certain the reserves development under O'Keefe and Power is going to make a positive impact , will be exciting given so many youngsters.

Okay to disagree. Don't think Cunners has done enough to earn a spot in the 22 but I'd be okay with him being sub over a Dow again who I'd like to see get a good block of games at VFL level in the guts to build form. I'm not a fan of debuting players (like a Durdin, Ramsay or Carroll) as the sub.

Agree regarding first-gamers.. there is no perfect sub. Essentially, it’s a wasted week, unless there is an injury.

From where we sit, the most logical choice is someone from whom we know what we’re going to get, someone who doesn’t require development and someone who is definitely not going to be in our next premiership .. should be one of the old-timers or someone who we know for certain is purely depth.

I promise you, that was not there. I, along with many others were concerned about the ominous absence of a return date for Charlie. That, has not been there.

I’m a Senior Systems Engineer, I read the source code and found that Aphro was correct. It was updated last Tuesday and I apologise to all for being a dick!

I am never wrong. :p

From the link you posted earlier:-

Updates dated for each player with the latest date being 13th April, last Tuesday.

Jack CarrollFinger"He fractured his thumb in training, he's probably going to miss 3-4 weeks." Update: 6 April
David CuninghamConcussionTest for selection. Update: 13 April
Charlie CurnowKneeOn track for return in second half of 2021. Update: 11 March
Tom De KoningBack"It looks like we'll see him back out there after Round 6." Update: 30 March
Zac FisherAnkle"He's got some bone stress in his ankle. We think he's going to miss around six weeks." Update: 30 March
Brodie KempFoot"We feel he needs that 5-6 week block of football conditioning to be available." Update: 13 April
Caleb MarchbankKneeOut for remainder of season.
Jack MartinKnee"Classic PCL mechanism... that's going to require him to be on the sidelines for six weeks." Update: 30 March
Oscar McDonaldBack"He's got a bone stress injury in his lower back... he could be up to three months out." Update: 13 April
Nic NewmanKnee"We feel he needs another 2-3 weeks of skills conditioning to be ready to play." Update: 13 April
Jack SilvagniShoulderUnavailable for Round 5. Recovery plan to be determined later in week. Update: 13 April
Zac WilliamsCalfTest for selection. Update: 13 April

Now we have got that all sorted, we await the latest update tomorrow.

So we continue the Ring Around a Rosie with dropping young/fringe players? We need to bloody change things up. I've had enough of the past 18 months. Make a statement to the list and drop Murphy (or of the calibre).

Better the past 18 months than what went before it imo, I don't want to see us playing young players without them earning their spot leading us to being belted every week which hasn't happened in a very long time. I doubt just gifting them games does them or us any good in the long term.

We all know that Murphy has certain limitations now and that he is at the end but what he does well he still does better than what the 'fringe' players as you refer to them as are capable of doing.

The statement is being made to the younger players, you need to earn your spot in the team, look at Parks, he leapfrogged a number of others purely because he'd demanded a spot in the team due to his efforts.

If the younger players are serious they'll leave the MC no choice but to include them ahead of a couple of more senior players, it's in their own hands.

From the link you posted earlier:-

Updates dated for each player with the last date being 13th April, last Tuesday.

Jack CarrollFinger"He fractured his thumb in training, he's probably going to miss 3-4 weeks." Update: 6 April
David CuninghamConcussionTest for selection. Update: 13 April
Charlie CurnowKneeOn track for return in second half of 2021. Update: 11 March
Tom De KoningBack"It looks like we'll see him back out there after Round 6." Update: 30 March
Zac FisherAnkle"He's got some bone stress in his ankle. We think he's going to miss around six weeks." Update: 30 March
Brodie KempFoot"We feel he needs that 5-6 week block of football conditioning to be available." Update: 13 April
Caleb MarchbankKneeOut for remainder of season.
Jack MartinKnee"Classic PCL mechanism... that's going to require him to be on the sidelines for six weeks." Update: 30 March
Oscar McDonaldBack"He's got a bone stress injury in his lower back... he could be up to three months out." Update: 13 April
Nic NewmanKnee"We feel he needs another 2-3 weeks of skills conditioning to be ready to play." Update: 13 April
Jack SilvagniShoulderUnavailable for Round 5. Recovery plan to be determined later in week. Update: 13 April
Zac WilliamsCalfTest for selection. Update: 13 April

Now we have got that all sorted, we await the latest update tomorrow.
Moderator status: Approved

That is what the guy from Equifax in the US said. That security patch was there.....100bn and thousands of lawsuits later that will last for the next 20 years, they move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were trying to redeem yourself I would have gone with something like "Moderator of the Century', may have had more impact :tearsofjoy:
I wanted to take a more subtle path to redemption after arguing with an esteemed member of our board. I will gladly hold his/her pocket for the remainder of the season.

No, he should be dropped this week.

Make him the sub.
He gets another game towards 300, is a senior player to come in to replace an injury, we don't waste a game of 2s development on a kid who needs it like we did with Dow this week.
Not a bad idea actually.. I would love Murphy to get to 300 but we can't keep carrying him the way he's going, but having him as the sub for a few games..

Dow being the sub was just dumb on every level, if anyone needs to go to the 2s and learn how to get 20 touches again it's him.

Well, him and Setterfield. Didn't work so well for Setters...

Agree regarding first-gamers.. there is no perfect sub. Essentially, it’s a wasted week, unless there is an injury.

From where we sit, the most logical choice is someone from whom we know what we’re going to get, someone who doesn’t require development and someone who is definitely not going to be in our next premiership .. should be one of the old-timers or someone who we know for certain is purely depth.

Perfect sub is Murph.

Get his game count up, have him on the bench to act as an experienced voice for the blokes to get feedback from, he can come on and run out a game if there's an injury early, and if he ends up coming into the game late then he should be fresh enough and crafty enough to work over an opponent to create some more scoring opportunities.

Perfect sub is Murph.

Get his game count up, have him on the bench to act as an experienced voice for the blokes to get feedback from, he can come on and run out a game if there's an injury early, and if he ends up coming into the game late then he should be fresh enough and crafty enough to work over an opponent to create some more scoring opportunities.
There has been talk how Port had injuries, but Drew was able to come on and have impact a fresh man as Kennedy did the week before despite both of them being one paced.

One of Murphy, Betts or Kennedy should be rotating as the sub for the rest of the season. Everyone else needs the game time.

No, he should be dropped this week.

Make him the sub.
He gets another game towards 300, is a senior player to come in to replace an injury, we don't waste a game of 2s development on a kid who needs it like we did with Dow this week.
Unpopular opinion ... but Murphy should have been moved into the centre square on Saturday night.
We were getting killed on the outside and skills were appalling ... quite frankly nothing I’ve seen from many other Carlton midfielder in 2021 tells me we have a better skilled outside mid as yet.
Walsh, Cripps, Curnow are all playing as inside mids. Williams is our go to outside mid but hasn’t really found his groove just yet.
If Teague has a major fault it’s his slavish and stubborn approach to positional preferences in game.
I was very hopeful preseason that Murphy could be an effective forward pocket - but he is getting exposed defensively and offensively at half forward.
Get him into the midfield or into the VFL.

Unpopular opinion ... but Murphy should have been moved into the centre square on Saturday night.
We were getting killed on the outside and skills were appalling ... quite frankly nothing I’ve seen from many other Carlton midfielder in 2021 tells me we have a better skilled outside mid as yet.
Walsh, Cripps, Curnow are all playing as inside mids. Williams is our go to outside mid but hasn’t really found his groove just yet.
If Teague has a major fault it’s his slavish and stubborn approach to positional preferences in game.
I was very hopeful preseason that Murphy could be an effective forward pocket - but he is getting exposed defensively and offensively at half forward.
Get him into the midfield or into the VFL.

He went at 46% efficiency, even though 3/4 of his possessions were uncontested. Don't think he was the skills we were missing in the guts on Saturday night.

Better the past 18 months than what went before it imo, I don't want to see us playing young players without them earning their spot leading us to being belted every week which hasn't happened in a very long time. I doubt just gifting them games does them or us any good in the long term.

We all know that Murphy has certain limitations now and that he is at the end but what he does well he still does better than what the 'fringe' players as you refer to them as are capable of doing.

The statement is being made to the younger players, you need to earn your spot in the team, look at Parks, he leapfrogged a number of others purely because he'd demanded a spot in the team due to his efforts.

If the younger players are serious they'll leave the MC no choice but to include them ahead of a couple of more senior players, it's in their own hands.
Those players are now 18 months further into their careers. MC have different standards for different players that was shown last year with Betts and McGovern and hasn't changed this year.

I'd be worried about unity and locker room discussion with the different standards placed on individuals.

Tom Harley a couple of weeks ago spoke so well on what they are doing at the Swans, he spoke about playing the young players in positions they believe they will be playing in the future. Giving them the best chance to develop into AFL footballers.

Bolton went to far with youth at that stage. Teague has done the opposite, those experienced players are now 2 years older and our young 'talent' should be hitting their straps.

We are wasting games by playing some of our most talented players out of position and in the reserves.

We are treading water, sink or swim time now. Let's find out who can cut it by giving them the best chance to succeed.

Shake things up.

There has been talk how Port had injuries, but Drew was able to come on and have impact a fresh man as Kennedy did the week before despite both of them being one paced.

One of Murphy, Betts or Kennedy should be rotating as the sub for the rest of the season. Everyone else needs the game time.

That is probably the best idea of all. This is why I had Kennedy on the bench this week and both Stocker and Cuningham coming in as part of the 22. Others who miss out such as Dow are better off playing a full game in the reserves than sitting on the bench all day.

Owies kicked 4. Well and truly "leap frogged" Murphy. From the post-match reports, game day commentary and what I have seen Philps, Cuningham and Owies should be in the team.

From what I have seen of Murphy and Eddie this year - they absolutely, under no circumstances should be ahead of those guys. I find it incredibly difficult to stomach and can only assume it is political / marketing / club-related , because it certainly isn't football related.

No. No no no no no no no no no. No. No.

If they're going to go there, we need to look at trading all of Setterfield, Dow, Stocker, LOB, SPS, because it will be an admission of the fact that the coaches do not think any of these players is better than Murphy, even in his twilight.

Murphy should be dropped the second that Fisher or Martin is available. Curnow should be dropped the second Cuningham has had a four to six week block in the twos playing a run with role. Then, you look at some of the other roles we could seek to optimize: is Williams working as a true midfielder? Is HBF truly the best use of a 15-20m kick instead of using SPS kicking inside forward 50? Parks returns to the back six, and so with Jack in the front half. Charlie is worked back into the firsts over 4 weeks via the reserves. Is Gibbons a better midfield option than Stocker, truly?

If Cripps refuses to use his teammates through the middle, he should get dropped. I do not think it will happen, but it should; it's placing the tail before the dog, allowing his lack of trust for others in the middle to allow him to run us into trouble over and over again. It is encouraged selfishness, because he's doing this with the assent of the coaches.

There is no benefit to promoting Murphy again.
If it were me, I'd honestly still be dropping Gibbons before Murphy. Murphy generates marks inside 50, Gibbons doesn't do a great job of that.

Gibbons and Betts are competing for a role iMO, and Betts is quicker, stronger and smarter, so it's just a question of form and fitness.

Those players are now 18 months further into their careers. MC have different standards for different players that was shown last year with Betts and McGovern and hasn't changed this year.

I'd be worried about unity and locker room discussion with the different standards placed on individuals.

Tom Harley a couple of weeks ago spoke so well on what they are doing at the Swans, he spoke about playing the young players in positions they believe they will be playing in the future. Giving them the best chance to develop into AFL footballers.

Bolton went to far with youth at that stage. Teague has done the opposite, those experienced players are now 2 years older and our young 'talent' should be hitting their straps.

We are wasting games by playing some of our most talented players out of position and in the reserves.

We are treading water, sink or swim time now. Let's find out who can cut it by giving them the best chance to succeed.

Shake things up.

We absolutely need to bring in the younger ones, forwards in particular. Ramsay also getting some good wrap ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back