RDFNL 2019 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mel, how did he do his knee? Was it due in anyway to the ground surface. I reckon players prone to injuries should be looking to move to comps with good grounds.
As a matter of interest Turbo which comps would you be referring to with the better grounds?

I was at Wallan 2 weeks ago and the ground was in fantastic order.

As a matter of interest Turbo which comps would you be referring to with the better grounds?

Good surface there but seriously who’s idea was it to put the away bench so far away from the action. Actually located well inside 50 at the end opposite to the direction the wind always blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riddell
diggers
romsey
wallan
rupo
macedon

Macedon are interesting this year.. full strength you would think they have one of the most dangerous forward lines with cooke markworth knox nipper and some kids but that hasnt transformed into scores.. the other thing is they prob have the most unheralded backline but they have one of the best against.. I havent seen a lot of them this year but they must be doing something to keep scores down.. waters always helps but interesting none the less.
I think it’s difficult to assess teams using their points for and against in this comp. There is such a disparity between draws, weather and availability that it can throw things out significantly.

Ground sizes also play a part with big grounds tending to result in lower scores.

riddell
diggers
romsey
wallan
rupo
macedon

Macedon are interesting this year.. full strength you would think they have one of the most dangerous forward lines with cooke markworth knox nipper and some kids but that hasnt transformed into scores.. the other thing is they prob have the most unheralded backline but they have one of the best against.. I havent seen a lot of them this year but they must be doing something to keep scores down.. waters always helps but interesting none the less.

wallan have prob had the best draw and have really smashed some sides but not sure where they sit in the grand scheme of things come the end of the year.. losing those couple of guys really hurts. i hope fowler can get up for finals... think they have a really good bracket of 10 guys who are good players... prob lack the real top players apart from perri

rupo just need to get all their players back and then we will see how good they are

Diggers seem to be cruising but havent been full strength or at their best this year. you would think experience will help them come the end of the year

Riddell look the goods but is their list better than last year? i dont think so..

Can romsey cover jensen ? i think thats the player they need in a final

on the bowen it would need to be a low count for jensen or paul to win it you would think
Yes Macedon do have troubles scoring for the players they have, been a common trend the last few seasons for them. They tend to not pig out as much as other top sides against the bottom teams, then matches against top sides always seem to be low scoring generally.
As for the backline, they actually have finished 1st in points against in 17/18 and are a chance to do it again this year. Had pretty much the same backline for the past 3 seasons apart from Barnett leaving this season and henderson the season before, so some credit should be given to the 4 or 5 who have been there consistently the past 3 seasons. Glenn Campbell has also been a great inclusion to the backline the last couple of months.

Obviously depth is their major issue but I hear most will be back this week and hopefully a healthy run all the way through finals. Whoevers list come finals is the healthiest will be favourites IMO.

Yes Macedon do have troubles scoring for the players they have, been a common trend the last few seasons for them. They tend to not pig out as much as other top sides against the bottom teams, then matches against top sides always seem to be low scoring generally.
As for the backline, they actually have finished 1st in points against in 17/18 and are a chance to do it again this year. Had pretty much the same backline for the past 3 seasons apart from Barnett leaving this season and henderson the season before, so some credit should be given to the 4 or 5 who have been there consistently the past 3 seasons. Glenn Campbell has also been a great inclusion to the backline the last couple of months.

Obviously depth is their major issue but I hear most will be back this week and hopefully a healthy run all the way through finals. Whoevers list come finals is the healthiest will be favourites IMO.

i did mean it as a complement, it is an excellent effort. The year they won it they defended better than everyone in the comp but they had some more well known names in the backline back then. They also all knew what they were doing when they had the ball and when the other team had the ball..
i was more comparing their profiles of some of the other players in backlines from the rest of the top 6.

I think it’s difficult to assess teams using their points for and against in this comp. There is such a disparity between draws, weather and availability that it can throw things out significantly.

Ground sizes also play a part with big grounds tending to result in lower scores.

agree

Good surface there but seriously who’s idea was it to put the away bench so far away from the action. Actually located well inside 50 at the end opposite to the direction the wind always blows.

I have heard a few of our coaches complain about that as well, it’s not an ideal spot but part of me thinks that I don’t really blame them, it’s not their job to make it easy for the away team.

Remember the away rooms at Romsey before the remodel? Nothing made you feel like the away team more than those rooms😂

I have heard a few of our coaches complain about that as well, it’s not an ideal spot but part of me thinks that I don’t really blame them, it’s not their job to make it easy for the away team.

Remember the away rooms at Romsey before the remodel? Nothing made you feel like the away team more than those rooms

Correct.
Away sides shouldn’t get any favours. I reckon we’re spoiled these days compared to yesteryear.
Not sure Rupo can complain about anyone’s ground, amenities, facilities. Thats one ground that needs a upgrade across the board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remember the away rooms at Romsey before the remodel? Nothing made you feel like the away team more than those rooms😂
There are rules about where the coaches boxes should be located.
Many away boxes are not in the correct position. But personally I think Melton’s is the worse.

Was a little bored so had a look at how the ladder would look with just the top 6 playing each other.

PWLForAg%Win%
Riddell
7​
4​
3​
576​
488​
118.03​
57.14​
Diggers
7​
4​
3​
514​
481​
106.86​
57.14​
Rupo
8​
4​
4​
558​
534​
104.49​
50.00​
Romsey
6​
3​
3​
425​
435​
97.70​
50.00​
Macedon
6​
3​
3​
372​
417​
89.21​
50.00​
Wallan
6​
2​
4​
357​
447​
79.87​
33.33​

Correct.
Away sides shouldn’t get any favours. I reckon we’re spoiled these days compared to yesteryear.
Not sure Rupo can complain about anyone’s ground, amenities, facilities. Thats one ground that needs a upgrade across the board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to be clear. Rupo FNC aren’t complaining. I am. It’s no secret which club I’m involved in but surely I can give my own opinion without it being linked back to my club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t disrespecting the competition just creating conversation. BFL and GVFL are 2 leagues with good playing surfaces.

Just asked if u watched the whole game Mate, wasn’t justification for any actions , however I watched the whole game bro, not just a nanosecond of video footage. Nothing came of it, end of story, jog on.

"jog on"

no eyes on the ball, feet didn't even leave the ground. what an absolute weak act. People who say nothing are the ones that condone actions like this. Ive watched him do it for years. IMG_1953.jpg

Diggers v Macedon takes on epic proportions this weekend. Noticed Taylor Hine hasn't played for some time - anyone enlighten ?
I suspect Diggers will win, but only because it is at home. Macedon have a lot to play for. Thoughts ?

Diggers v Macedon takes on epic proportions this weekend. Noticed Taylor Hine hasn't played for some time - anyone enlighten ?
I suspect Diggers will win, but only because it is at home. Macedon have a lot to play for. Thoughts ?

played last week according to RDFL website
Diggers would have just as much to play for.. if they win this week they will finish top 2 you would think

With this new offshoot league being backed by AFL VIC to the north according to the press reports, should broadford exit (agree well considered comments by their President), Rockbank fighting for life, would lancefield actually seriously think about exiting the existing RDFNL? It could mean 3 clubs exit at years end? Is there any fire to this smoke?

With this new offshoot league being backed by AFL VIC to the north according to the press reports, should broadford exit (agree well considered comments by their President), Rockbank fighting for life, would lancefield actually seriously think about exiting the existing RDFNL? It could mean 3 clubs exit at years end? Is there any fire to this smoke?
For me at least it's a meaningful option. Instead of everyone sticking the boots in and feeding off a carcass, some sensible and responsible leadership is being shown.
If you believe what was once is going to remain then you are delusional. The urban sprawl is changing the fringes of Melbourne. I would rather have a say, than be force fed.

Led to believe only one of the three is a realistic possibility of not being here in 2020 and that is unlikely. Could be wrong though.

Broadford and Lancefield's movements (or non-movements) would be dependent upon what goes on with leagues to their north.

There has been a lot of talk about a Seymour-based league consisting of clubs from AFL Outer East, Kyabram, Ovens & King and potentially Lancefield and Broadford. This would be good for them as they would be in a true country league, travel is reasonable and both clubs would be very competitive in this competition.

However in recent days - highlighted by the article posted here earlier this week - there is also a push to make the Kyabram comp two divisions. There is conjecture as to whether it is going to be geographic or performance based. If it is geographic, it would be appealing to Broadford and Lancefield. lf it is performance based, there could be trips to the likes of Ardmona (140km each way) but at least they'd be more competitive.

The other possibility is both join the Heathcote league - travel would be under 100km each way for most clubs from Lancefield but then again you have Lockington (130km) and Leitchville (182km). Lancefield and Broadford would be at the mercy of the HDFNL clubs as to whether would vote for two extra trips south each year that are roughly half an hour further south of Heathcote.

Doona - were there any travel complaints from HDFNL clubs in the past that you were aware of or was it other issues at hand?

Last edited:
I predict (off no basis) that two clubs will not be in the RDFNL next year. Whatever happens I hope those clubs make the right decisions for them and their communities and members, your right better off having a say than been force fed. Also hope that the league headquarters are active in ensuring a viable competitive competition remains. We will need I reckon 3 clubs to come in quickly. You don't see that too often do you and for it to happen you would think discussions would have to be occuring now. Wonder if kyneton are thinking this way.

I predict (off no basis) that two clubs will not be in the RDFNL next year. Whatever happens I hope those clubs make the right decisions for them and their communities and members, your right better off having a say than been force fed. Also hope that the league headquarters are active in ensuring a viable competitive competition remains. We will need I reckon 3 clubs to come in quickly. You don't see that too often do you and for it to happen you would think discussions would have to be occuring now. Wonder if kyneton are thinking this way.

Can’t see league hq attracting 3 new clubs if others do end up leaving. There’s nothing attractive about the league at the moment unless you enjoy 2-3 lopsided games every week.

I would have thought that, whether they are struggling or not, Kyneton would want to be part of a major league rather than a district league.
Granted, they would have a better chance of success but it all depends on their recruiting.
Are their recruits attracted more by playing BFL footy and testing themselves against that standard? If not, then I would have thought that the Riddell would be appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back