RDFNL 2022 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If the RDFL (AFL Goldfields) had of managed things better 8-10 years ago, Kilmore, Broadford etc may well have stayed. The league was 13 teams strong in those days and if they could have arranged a two division comp like the RDFL used to be, those teams may not have left. With the northern suburbs growing and new clubs like Laurimar and Donnybrook emerging, Kilmore are satisfied that they made the correct decision. The AFL Goldfields era was very west centric and not suitable to the northern based clubs.
Would like to know how the league upset Kilmore and Broadford causing them to leave.I thought both left due to their own problems?Also 13 teams dont make 2 divisions and I dont think it would of been easy to get another 5 -7 teams needed for 2 divisions.
Whilst Kilmore are happy atm its simply because they are winning more often due a big step down in standard.Having seen them play 3 times the last 2 years only Barton and Ryall would be walk up starts at say Seymour,Wallan or Whittlesea.Kinnear and Fitzpatrick show potential and I think will make improvement to be very good players.As crazy as it reads a premiership in div 3 could lead to a disaster as they would need 10 plus players to even be competitive in div 2.
The main benefit I see for them atm is the option for disgruntled players or those not up to a game in surrounding towns can go get a game and a kick.Also the netball side is another big plus for rdfnl which I think many overlook and Kilmore has lost out there.
Im actually pleased to see Kilmore doing well and people happy but keep it in perspective.Just to have a side these days is a good thing.
One other thing is the poor crowd numbers.Fair dinkum seen more at lawn bowls.Zero atmosphere.

Last edited:
All entitled to our own opinions Barfly. Would’ve only needed three more teams to get two divisions of eight teams In the RDFL. Three time B&F Leigh Irons, ex Eltham and Shepp United premiership player Steve McIntyre and Chris Jackson who played nearly fifty senior games at Seymour are a few more handy players too. The poor crowd numbers you claim is usually a case of the large amount of spectators sitting in cars around the ground, particularly when they are parked two deep on the eastern hill, a luxury most other grounds don’t have. The club rooms are always packed after a game. Netball is an issue being played on a Friday night, it does detract from crowd numbers on a Saturday, but Kilmore netball has never had more numbers. The club’s last year in the RDFL, B grade didn’t win a game and A grade only won one, including a thumping 84 goal loss against Rupo. Last season the club fielded seven netball teams and there will be that many, if not more this year. It’s not a perfect situation but the club is pretty happy with it’s current position.

Last edited:

Did anyone have eyes on the Wallan’s match down at Torquay

Anyone now how Rupo and Sunbury Roos are enjoying the EDFL. They have left a big hole for the RDFL and I wish they were both still in the league

Read an article about Riddell’s recruits, I no they announced Tim Walsh as a signing early pre season but no mention of him in the article. Anyone no if he is still returning to the bombers?

Read an article about Riddell’s recruits, I no they announced Tim Walsh as a signing early pre season but no mention of him in the article. Anyone no if he is still returning to the bombers?

His name's not on the clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season Predictions most clearances in
Wallan
Diggers
Riddell/Macedon
The rest
Reserves
Wallan (player/talent pool too big)
Under 19•5

Season Predictions most clearances in
Wallan
Diggers
Riddell/Macedon
The rest
Reserves
Under 19•5
Interesting observation regarding the size of Wallan‘s talent pool Red Ranga. I’m sure it will only be a matter of time before a second team needs to emerge from Wallan due to their population growth, similar to the multiple teams at Sunbury and Melton.

Interesting observation regarding the size of Wallan‘s talent pool Red Ranga. I’m sure it will only be a matter of time before a second team needs to emerge from Wallan due to their population growth, similar to the multiple teams at Sunbury and Melton.

The growth is really in Mickleham, Beveridge and Donnybrook isn't it? I drove from Craigieburn through to Mickleham the other day and couldn't believe it was housing all the way. The area has changed so much in 10 years.

The growth is really in Mickleham, Beveridge and Donnybrook isn't it? I drove from Craigieburn through to Mickleham the other day and couldn't believe it was housing all the way. The area has changed so much in 10 years.
Will any of those suburbs have senior football clubs in the long run? If so what leagues would they be best suited to? Riddell, Essendon or Northern?

Yeah, fair call, but a Google search shows that the 2021 population for Wallan is nearly 15,500, whilst Lancefield is under 3,500. Wallan has a ‘clubbies’ team on top of their reserves side whilst many other local clubs struggle to field a two’s team. How much longer can clubs like Lancefield be expected to compete against a club like Wallan with the population disparity.

Yeah, fair call, but a Google search shows that the 2021 population for Wallan is nearly 15,500, whilst Lancefield is under 3,500. Wallan has a ‘clubbies’ team on top of their reserves side whilst many other local clubs struggle to field a two’s team. How much longer can clubs like Lancefield be expected to compete against a club like Wallan with the population disparity.

It's not just Lancefield from what I saw. It's tough and even more so these days. Not sure what the answer is. Diggers have a small population base but seem to do ok. Bit of credit to Wallan though too I think is richly deserved.

It's not just Lancefield from what I saw. It's tough and even more so these days. Not sure what the answer is. Diggers have a small population base but seem to do ok. Bit of credit to Wallan though too I think is richly deserved.
Absolutely, Wallan have done wonders in recent years and are an exceptionally well run club. I’m not having a crack at them in any way, just making the observation that in years to come, with an expanding population, it would make sense to create a second team like a lot of other country towns.

Absolutely, Wallan have done wonders in recent years and are an exceptionally well run club. I’m not having a crack at them in any way, just making the observation that in years to come, with an expanding population, it would make sense to create a second team like a lot of other country towns.

Personally think Wallan and Beveridge will become one giant suburb and that's where a 2nd team will come from.

Personally think Wallan and Beveridge will become one giant suburb and that's where a 2nd team will come from.
That’s where the problem might lie town is not big enough atm but when it does grow kids coming up from juniors to under 19s are going to struggle for a game with Wallan in the rdfnl as this league will never be big enough for 2 under 19s divisions where as edfl or NFL can accommodate this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back