Multiplat Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno how unpopular of an opinion this is going to be, but I'm 50 hours into RDR2 and whilst the story, characters, map etc are all excellent, the gameplay itself is really barebones with a bit of railroading and/or character throttling. There seems to be a lot of missions where it's a variation of just walking/running to a specific spot, then triggering a cutscene, then rinse/repeating until the mission is finished. Still a great game... Saint Denis at night looks amazing, there's a lot to do with customisation, hunting etc, and also lot of great immersive interaction with NPC's - including the random hijackings when travelling between towns which blew my mind. But yeah, some missions themselves can be amazing visually and packed with a lot of action, it's just when you look underneath, there's not a lot of actual "playing" going on. Wasn't expecting anything over the top really, and it was probably by design anyway to keep it very casual for everyone to play... no problem in that. Anyway, just my 2p, I've still a long way to go.

Last edited:
Dunno how unpopular of an opinion this is going to be, but I'm 50 hours into RDR2 and whilst the story, characters, map etc are all excellent, the gameplay itself is really barebones with a bit of railroading and/or character throttling. There seems to be a lot of missions where it's a variation of just walking/running to a specific spot, then triggering a cutscene, then rinse/repeating until the mission is finished. Still a great game... Saint Denis at night looks amazing, there's a lot to do with customisation, hunting etc, and also lot of great immersive interaction with NPC's - including the random hijackings when travelling between towns which blew my mind. But yeah, some missions themselves can be amazing visually and packed with a lot of action, it's just when you look underneath, there's not a lot of actual "playing" going on. Wasn't expecting anything over the top really, and it was probably by design anyway to keep it very casual for everyone to play... no problem in that. Anyway, just my 2p, I've still a long way to go.

Pretty much how I felt too regarding gameplay. Will let you finish and get your thoughts again but certain events really soured my opinion of the game more.

This is I believe a fair assessment of the Rockstar GTA/RDR gameplay formula. I reckon it's fair to say it feels a bit stale. Yet I still find myself finding it an incredible game.

It has the same problem all ‘ inventory’ games have , by the time you get all the good stuff the games almost finished

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

One of those excellent games that has no replay value for me. I think it's a combo of the emotionally intense story and it being so real as to lack a bit of fun.

This is I believe a fair assessment of the Rockstar GTA/RDR gameplay formula. I reckon it's fair to say it feels a bit stale. Yet I still find myself finding it an incredible game.

I feel similarly. I love the gameplay; I just don't love the gameplay during missions. It's astounding they let you do all this stuff in free roam and it's so fun, but when it comes to the missions it's pretty much go in a straight line, don't deviate or you'll be forced to replay the last 5-10 minutes. The "there's more coming on the left, more on the right" aspect of missions is so amazingly boring.

once I got to the first camp, and realized all the things I need to farm to boost it, I stopped playing
Upgrading the camp was a waste of time and money IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have some ideas for upgrades. A camp bath where Karen can give you a scrub. A camp pulpit from which Swanson can preach to his flock (he'll be wasted most of the time tho). A request-a-song function so you can ask Uncle to sing One-Eyed Reilly a few more times.

Going out hunting for four perfect boar pelts so you can make a rug for John which he never thanks you for isn't a great feature.

I have some ideas for upgrades. A camp bath where Karen can give you a scrub. A camp pulpit from which Swanson can preach to his flock (he'll be wasted most of the time tho). A request-a-song function so you can ask Uncle to sing One-Eyed Reilly a few more times.

Going out hunting for four perfect boar pelts so you can make a rug for John which he never thanks you for isn't a great feature.

The one gripe i had with the game is the spawning of animals they didn't respawn enough espically the cougar or panther miss it or get killed by one and who knows when the next one comes.

I spent hours and days camping trying to get a certain animal to respwan and still nothing

Yeah you're right. It actually had me trying to remember back to GTA V if I felt that was just as dry to play as RDR2.

Another quick thing I wanted to mention, and I don't know how nitpicky this sounds, but the controls don't feel as intuitive.... Unless I'm mistaken I believe it's the Y button to get up on a horse, but X to climb up onto anything. When you think about it, it's a different button for the same action. Similarly Y to jump from a horse onto a moving carriage and X to jump onto a moving tram in Saint Denis. So there has been times I've been second guessing what button to press.

Starting to sound like I'm trying to drag the game down now, lol.

The number of times i pulled a gun on someone trying to do something else....

Yeah the controls are not intuitive at all

I hated that

Also why couldn't they include a fast walk button when you enter a town? so manys time i would run,bump into some one by accident and they would alert the sherif

By the way, if anyone has some 100% completion tips to make things easier, feel free to suggest them. I'm 50 hours in, but only on chapter 3 or 4. I kinda got a general overview of the requirements I think.... Tried chipping away at a few things like hunting perfect animal pelts, dinosaur bones etc, and it sounds like collecting 25 orchid flower things will be a pain?

By the way, if anyone has some 100% completion tips to make things easier, feel free to suggest them. I'm 50 hours in, but only on chapter 3 or 4. I kinda got a general overview of the requirements I think.... Tried chipping away at a few things like hunting perfect animal pelts, dinosaur bones etc, and it sounds like collecting 25 orchid flower things will be a pain?

I suggest using a guide for collectables like cards,dinosaur bones,etc * exploring everything and every where would take you months trying to collect everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back