Analysis Redo the 2018 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Ben King/Sam Walsh won't split them, depends on need.
3. Zac Butters
4. Conor Rozee
5. Jack Lukosious
6. Bailey Smith
7. Max King
8. Xavier Duursma
9. Issac Quaynor
10. Izak Rankine
11. Tarryn Thomas
12. Lachlan Scholl
13. James Rowbottom
14. Riley Collier Dawkins
15. Nick Hind
16. Jye Caldwell
17. James Jordan
18. Bobby Hill

These are the guys who like they'll be high level footballers during their prime.

Blakey, Jones, Henry, Ross, Ham, Sparrow, Hamill, Answerth, Clark, Hately, Vandermeer, Kosi, McInerney, Shultz, Bytel, Berry all look capable but jury still out whether they'll get to 150 games.

For such a strong top ten, it's amazing how quickly it dropped off.

One thing is for sure what an absolute super draft. Stack of talent across the board who have already shown so much.

Making a squad of that year
B: Atkins, Wilkie, Lukiosus
HB: Quaynor, Koschitzke, Hind
C: Smith, Walsh, Sholl
HF: Duursma, M.King, Rozee
F: Rankine, B.King, Thomas
Foll: Sweet, Rowbottom, Butters
Bench: Blakey, Ross, Jordon, McInerney
Emerg: Vandemeer, Hamill, Clark, Aarts

Depth (getting somewhat regular games when fit): C.Jones, Caldwell, Hately, McHenry, Stocker, Collier-Dawkins, Hill, O'Halloran, B.Williams, Bytel, Answerth, Schultz, Hughes, Watson

Koschitzke playing at AFL level as a forward, really KD and rucks are the only areas where the draft is lacking. Mids (inside and outside), small forwards, tall forwards is a great list.

As a North fan drafting for needs I'd take Ben King in a hypothetical "2018 is 2021" situation, but Walsh is the overall number 1 player for me.

1. Ben King
2. Sam Walsh
3. Zak Butters
4. Xavier Duursma
5. Max King
6. Conor Rozee
7. Bailey Smith
8. Jack Lukiosus
9. Lachlan Sholl
10. Tarryn Thomas
11. Callum Wilkie
12. Nick Hind
13. Isaac Quaynor
14. James Rowbottom
15. James Jordon
16. Izak Rankine
17. Jack Ross
18. Ian Hill
19. Jacob Koschitzke
20. Jye Caldwell

Interesting draft. I’d have all of Walsh, 2 x King, Butters and Smith as worthy considerations for pick 1. Others would also have Rozee and Lukosious in that discussion.

So 5-7 genuinely elite prospects taken in the first round is a huge amount of talent but as mentioned above by Red Black and Blue there does seem to a bit of drop off after that.

Making a squad of that year
B: Atkins, Wilkie, Lukiosus
HB: Quaynor, Koschitzke, Hind
C: Smith, Walsh, Sholl
HF: Duursma, M.King, Rozee
F: Rankine, B.King, Thomas
Foll: Sweet, Rowbottom, Butters
Bench: Blakey, Ross, Jordon, McInerney
Emerg: Vandemeer, Hamill, Clark, Aarts

Depth (getting somewhat regular games when fit): C.Jones, Caldwell, Hately, McHenry, Stocker, Collier-Dawkins, Hill, O'Halloran, B.Williams, Bytel, Answerth, Schultz, Hughes, Watson

Koschitzke playing at AFL level as a forward, really KD and rucks are the only areas where the draft is lacking. Mids (inside and outside), small forwards, tall forwards is a great list.

Surely big Butts gets the gig at CHB given he actually plays AFL in that position.

1. Ben King/Sam Walsh won't split them, depends on need.
3. Zac Butters
4. Conor Rozee
5. Jack Lukosious
6. Bailey Smith
7. Max King
8. Xavier Duursma
9. Issac Quaynor
10. Izak Rankine
11. Tarryn Thomas
12. Lachlan Scholl
13. James Rowbottom
14. Riley Collier Dawkins
15. Nick Hind
16. Jye Caldwell
17. James Jordan
18. Bobby Hill

These are the guys who like they'll be high level footballers during their prime.

Blakey, Jones, Henry, Ross, Ham, Sparrow, Hamill, Answerth, Clark, Hately, Vandermeer, Kosi, McInerney, Shultz, Bytel, Berry all look capable but jury still out whether they'll get to 150 games.

For such a strong top ten, it's amazing how quickly it dropped off.
Looks about right. Kosi unlucky and I'd have Rowbottom a bit higher and Thomas a bit lower.

Totally forgot we drafted Schultz that year. Getting good value out of a pick 57. He's a lock in JLo's forward line and already at 34 games.

Caldwell's an interesting one. Just the 13 games to date. Would probably have him with the McInerney, Bytel, Berry crew.

This will be an interesting revisit in 3-4 years. 2020 robbed a year of normal development from those guys who weren’t playing straight up like most of the top 10.

Take West Coast for example. We played 3 of our 2018 draftees on the weekend. O’Neill is the most experienced of the three with 10 games to this point. We don’t usually rush our draftees and although all 3 debuted last year they lost a year of playing in the WAFL; instead had to settle mostly for scrimmages in the hubs.

I would suggest a few clubs were in the same boat, so this list will change in a couple of years I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. Ben King/Sam Walsh .
Zac Butters
. Max King/Riley Collier Dawkins (I expect they rise higher)
. Bailey Smith
Conor Rozee
. Jack Lukosious
.Xavier Duursma
. Tarryn Thomas
. Issac Quaynor
Izak Rankine
. Lachlan Scholl
James Rowbottom
Bobby Hill
. Nick Hind
. Jye Caldwell
. James Jordan

Blakely - if he played on the MCG every week could jump to top 5 (he needs to get out of Syndey).

Sam Walsh is clear Ist pick, rising star , cleaned up most other awards for a youngster too, has played 51 games consecutively , yet some are still debating and pondering his value? King Bros Ben & Max ,0 next and perhaps a toss up between Butters & Smith to make up the 5.
The next 5 are also very talented but inconsistent and not on the park regularly.

Personally think Buttered was on track from elite before he got injured, assuming he comes back from his ankle ok my top 5
Walsh, Butters, B.King, Smith, Lukosious.

Would be nice to see Sydney Stack back. Was just pressing his claim in the VFL and looking very sharp and hard at it when the VFL stalled. Elite talent, whether that is enough time will tell.
Walsh was a good no.1 pick, great all round player, would love to have Lukosious in our side. Loved Clarke's first year, stalled since.

Ah, the 2018 draft.

Very good value out of the late/rookie picks (Sholl and Butts both look like they'll have a very good career), middling value out of the mid picks (both Hamill and McHenry look like they'll be long term players, just not stars) and even in SuperDrafts, top 10 picks fail, and we've got the most likely candidate of that at the moment in Jones.

It's a very backwards draft for us at the moment.

Had to rerank though, at this point my top 10 would be:

B King
Walsh
M King
Smith
Butters
Lukosious
Duursma
Rowbottom
Sholl
Quaynor

11-15 are Rozee, Thomas, Jordon, Butts and Rankine. In whatever order you feel like, but you could also justify moving Duursma, Rowbottom, Sholl, and Quaynor down to these points to select any of those 5. They're all pretty fluid.

Last edited:
Anyone that doesn't have Thomas in the top handful hasn't watched him enough this year. His scope of improvement has been incredible.

He basically has every tool to become an elite midfielder of the competition.
- 191cm
- Elite Skill
- Elite Pace
- Elite Composure
- Kicks Goals (3rd highest ranked for mids in the competition)
- Strong defensively & Elite tackler

Is already a 20 disposal 2 goal player at 21 years of age in an 18th placed side.

Anyone that doesn't have Thomas in the top handful hasn't watched him enough this year. His scope of improvement has been incredible.

- 191cm
- Elite Skill
- Elite Pace
- Elite Composure

Is already a 20 disposal 2 goal player at 21 years of age in an 18th placed side.
I have him comfortably in the top 12.

- 191cm
- Elite Skill
- Elite Pace
- Elite Composure

I rate him highly has huge potential and looks really good ball in hand.

Needs to find the ball more and have consistent impact across 4 quarters to challenge the best mids in this draft (Walsh, Butters, Smith). Has only cracked 20 disposals once in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back