Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems voting centers are more sparse than usual. I'm usually within a 10 minute walk of my local voting center which is typically at a school or community center. This year, every location is driving distance away.

Has the AEC been given a budget cut?

Yeah, it’s a mystery why schools aren’t being used as early voting centers on weekdays….

Would it have been possible to split the referendum into 2 questions?

Many would have voted yes for recognition at the very least.
Excuse the language, but what would have been the ****ing point?

I get that Australians love a symbolic gesture that means they don't have to do the actual work, but the point is to try and improve life for Aboriginal people. A line in the Constitution doesn't do that without some sort of additional effort.

Would it have been possible to split the referendum into 2 questions?

Many would have voted yes for recognition at the very least.
No.

As has been raised multiple times, the Indigenous communities that created the Uluru Dialogue in 2017 made it clear that recognition without representation would be meaningless.

And representation without enshrining it in the Constitution would be too easy to dismantle and ignore for cynical party politics.

THIS is the model that was part of the 2017 Uluru Statement from the Heart developed under the previous Coalition Government.

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems voting centers are more sparse than usual. I'm usually within a 10 minute walk of my local voting center which is typically at a school or community center. This year, every location is driving distance away.

Has the AEC been given a budget cut?
Dare say they think the faster processing times means fewer centres are needed

Well Australia, it comes down to this: are you driven by fear or hope?

Fear or Hope.
What was the last election decided by hope?

It wasn't the GST cake election, or the recession we had to have election, or the children overboard election, or the weapons of mass destruction election, or the carbon tax election, or the Bill you can't afford to pay election......

Australians love political apathy and they consume negative campaigns like candy.

Once Dutton decided he would not support this it was over. As is the case with all referendums.

Dare say they think the faster processing times means fewer centres are needed
not so sure. reckon a bit to do with it is concern at the number of peeps voting early. the a.e.c and gov't aren't too pleased with it. no great queues this time at early voting centre cos the process doesn't take long. only few secs to vote "yes":thumbsu:

What was the last election decided by hope?

It wasn't the GST cake election, or the recession we had to have election, or the children overboard election, or the weapons of mass destruction election, or the carbon tax election, or the Bill you can't afford to pay election......

Australians love political apathy and they consume negative campaigns like candy.

Once Dutton decided he would not support this it was over. As is the case with all referendums.
Yep a cowardly country

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not so sure. reckon a bit to do with it is concern at the number of peeps voting early. the a.e.c and gov't aren't too pleased with it. no great queues this time at early voting centre cos the process doesn't take long. only few secs to vote "yes":thumbsu:
Early voting centers are just as sparse. I waited 5 minutes yesterday.

Early voting centers are just as sparse. I waited 5 minutes yesterday.
if by that you mean less of 'em, then that's what i'm saying. when we voted early at the election the lines were looooong. a lot to do with the effing senate paper. at the early poll centre we went to we were in and out quickly. the a.e.c official the numbers compared to the election were similar it's just that process is so simple.

The actual processing time is pretty much the same as an election.
--------------------------------------------
"Are you entitled to vote early in this referendum "? " My dog ate my carkeys, i cannot get to the polling place on saturday "
"So that would be a yes"? "Yes ".
"Surname please" "Sabadatjhajarus Maklubmoblius "
"Um can you spell that " "SABADATJHAJARUS MAKLUBMOBLIUS , its spelt the normal way "
"Um....... " "Fine here is my drivers license "
Initial paper.
"Have you voted before in this referendum " "Yes "
"You voted before ...in this referendum " ? "ohhh in this one ...No "
"Now you just need to put a YES or a NO in this box, then place it in the ballot box near the door on the way out"
"Can i put an X in the box "? "No"
"Thank you"
-----------------------
Its really the same except only one sheet of paper needing an initial.

Obviously the counting process after the polls close on Saturday will be a lot faster and easier.

Weirder still that on election, or in this case referendum, day where there are way more options on where to vote the lines are still chockas,
Luck of the draw.
They are always guessing based on previous elections.

I was officer in charge of a polling booth just the once. I've been offered it a few times since , but i was traumatised :D.
I've worked at a heap of elections and i never saw the likes of this one. It had something like 30% more than expected.

Second in charge turned up half an hour after opening, rather than an hour before, and one of the normal workers didn't show at all.
For some reason everyone chose my polling booth rather than the others nearby, they worked out the reason later i think. The roads had changed and there were new estates or something.

The best time to vote is normally during a lull at around 2pm. People come in early to get it over with, which is the worst time, often a line at the door before its even open. Then you sometimes get the "oh shit i still have to vote " crowd rushing in at the last minute.

This polling place i was in charge of didn't have a lull. I was working on the tables rather than preparing the stuff for counting , which didn't help me later either. ( Meal breaks for staff are compulsory but damn its hard to schedule that when the line is down the road and there is no-one spare ).

Others i knew working in the same election told me their polling place was dead.

She is not representative of Aboriginal people but is representative of her own party and her own ambition. To say she has seen more than most is ridiculous. She has very little idea of what happens in Aboriginal communities. She is not fighting for these innocent victims, if she was she would be there at ground level supporting them. ‘Perhaps you were unaware of these things’ is pretty narrow minded as you don’t know me. I have seen and experienced more to do with Aboriginal people than she ever will. Voting no is turning your back on Aboriginal people. ‘We won’t be quiet on Saturday’ Yes you will as you will leave Aboriginal people stranded like you have for the past 200 years.

Weak claims.
Price has lead the campaign that changed a 70% vote to the 40s. IF you need someone to blame look at Minister Burney who has overseen that deterioration.
'Perhaps' is in fact respectful of your position.

Interesting claim of yours ....I have seen and experienced more to do with Aboriginal people than she ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back