Relationship with alcohol

Remove this Banner Ad

I went for a month a few years ago and hated it. There were parties/occasions that made it extremely difficult not to.

If it is 'extremely difficult' not to, i'd be highly questioning my reliance on alcohol and inability to go without. Addiction comes in many forms and can be very subtle.

As i've gotten older (30 now), I see society's huge problem with alcohol and how normalised it is. There are a huge percentage of guys in their 20's (and older) who genuinely have no other hobbies/nothing else to do on the weekend without drinking. I've definitely been one of them, and still do occasionally drink, so no judgement coming from me.

If you think about what it actually is; a substance (or small dose of poison) we voluntarily digest to alter our biochemistry and psychological state in a negative way (but feels temporarily good), it is insane that we all actually drink.

If it is 'extremely difficult' not to, i'd be highly questioning my reliance on alcohol and inability to go without. Addiction comes in many forms and can be very subtle.

As i've gotten older (30 now), I see society's huge problem with alcohol and how normalised it is. There are a huge percentage of guys in their 20's (and older) who genuinely have no other hobbies/nothing else to do on the weekend without drinking. I've definitely been one of them, and still do occasionally drink, so no judgement coming from me.

If you think about what it actually is; a substance (or small dose of poison) we voluntarily digest to alter our biochemistry and psychological state in a negative way (but feels temporarily good), it is insane that we all actually drink.
It's how we work though, short term reward outways long term problem

Feel good now outweighs feel bad tomorrow

Stopping yourself from giving in to that reward system is the hard part, whether it be drinking, gambling, Macca's, chocolate whatever

It's why the industries that prey on this make so much money from products or services that are so bad for us

They tap into the reward system

I enjoy a drink but I don't enjoy getting drunk. Wake up call was after winning a flag last year I ended up in hospital with alcohol poisoning, which is pretty embarrassing when you're 34. Haven't quit drinking but have been drunk once since September whereas I used to get pissed probably once every six weeks on average. Only had 5 or 6 beers this year so far and to be honest I don't really miss it.

Once you hit mid 30s the hangovers are too brutal to drink heavily every weekend. I'll have a massive night and be wiped out for the majority of the next week!
How big is the big night? We talking driving the porcelain bus/black out drunk big?

How big is the big night? We talking driving the porcelain bus/black out drunk big?

starting at 5pm, out until 2-3am black out drunk for the second half, not 100% sure how i got home, vomiting the next day and unable to function aside from lying on the couch watching netflix and ordering uber eats hash browns.

How would you describe your relationship with alcohol? Personally I’ve been alcohol free for 2 months. It’s amazing. I felt that my relationship with alcohol wasn’t healthy. I’d drink when I felt stressed, drink too much on occasions (footy a good example), and constantly hate the impact on my body.

I’d get hot, sweaty, and id not be able to sleep properly. I’d have a guilty and regretful attitude the following day and always want to get it out of my system.

I don’t think I really enjoyed alcohol, I think I drank because I looked for something it would give or make me, which is obviously not real, as alcohol wears away and you’re back to reality.

Lately I feel alcohol would make me unclean and poisoned. I don’t think I ever had a good relationship with it.

What about you?

What was your choice of drink? I always drank Jim Beam and cola, but it got to the point where I was getting next to no sleep after drinking (no surprise with the amount of caffeine I used to consume most nights). I haven't drank since New Years Eve (quit at 11pm New Years Eve, so haven't drank this year). This has resulted in more sleep and better - and more healthy/regular - sleeping patterns. I also had bad anxiety when I used to drink, but it was even increased for a month after quitting (panic attacks, waking up gasping for air in the middle of night). After that things started to improve, better sleep, 1000 times better focus and ability to actually concentrate. I relate with practically all of your post and also feel I never had a good relationship with alcohol either.

What was your choice of drink? I always drank Jim Beam and cola, but it got to the point where I was getting next to no sleep after drinking (no surprise with the amount of caffeine I used to consume most nights). I haven't drank since New Years Eve (quit at 11pm New Years Eve, so haven't drank this year). This has resulted in more sleep and better - and more healthy/regular - sleeping patterns. I also had bad anxiety when I used to drink, but it was even increased for a month after quitting (panic attacks, waking up gasping for air in the middle of night). After that things started to improve, better sleep, 1000 times better focus and ability to actually concentrate. I relate with practically all of your post and also feel I never had a good relationship with alcohol either.
Thanks for sharing.

I’d drink predominantly beer. Wine occasionally but mostly beer. Football was my outlet, I’d drink when watching the games at pubs. Just drink far too much and really let it affect me emotionally. I’d get home and my wife would say ‘how much have you drank?’ I’d always play it down when in reality I’d had a lot more.

I’ve got two kids (one 6 weeks old), so the idea of touching a drink just isn’t something I want to consider as with me it really badly impacts my sleep and sets off my anxiety. I have to work hard to manage my anxiety and my medication isn’t supposed to mix with alcohol at all.

My last drink was the 24/12/17. I honestly can’t see where I’ll have my next one. I am never motivated. One thing I have noticed is people look at you differently don’t they? They’ll say ‘what are you having?’ And I’ll say ‘nothing mate, not drinking’. I’ve got some mates that just find it hard to fathom, and they’ll say ‘just have a couple mate’. It’s like its this social inclusion mechanism, to have a drink.

I drank too either mask my stress and anxiety and to also create a different persona, a different person. It was just a way to escape reality and create something that I wasn’t. When life comes back to you though it’s so much harder to adjust to.

Glad you’re feeling better about it all and thanks for posting.

People do have a bizarre reaction to non drinkers, like somehow a person not drinking makes them feel shitty about themselves. I seem to recall a campaign a few years back trying to “normalize” not drinking, something like you didn’t need an accuse not to drink (because everyone assumes you must be driving or sick or pregnant etc if you don’t)

People do have a bizarre reaction to non drinkers, like somehow a person not drinking makes them feel shitty about themselves. I seem to recall a campaign a few years back trying to “normalize” not drinking, something like you didn’t need an accuse not to drink (because everyone assumes you must be driving or sick or pregnant etc if you don’t)
So true. People have often asked me if I am driving when not drinking. It’s an automatic assumption that you must be doing something whereby alcohol can’t be consumed to do it competently.

It’s an indictment isn’t it? To assume one must drink to be socially accepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

I find it hilarious that if people find out you aren't drinking they straight away think something must be wrong with you.

I mean, how can you go out to social events without drinking? You're obviously not a fun person haha. I find it weird that people can't go to social events if they don't drink but I guess drinking copious amounts is the social norm these days (unfortunately).

in my industry where we have quite a few client based boozy nights, there is definitely significant suspicion on people who don't drink. Like they are trying to hide something.

Thanks for sharing.

I’d drink predominantly beer. Wine occasionally but mostly beer. Football was my outlet, I’d drink when watching the games at pubs. Just drink far too much and really let it affect me emotionally. I’d get home and my wife would say ‘how much have you drank?’ I’d always play it down when in reality I’d had a lot more.

how much is alot more? 5 pints? 10?

Its a funny concept, the non drinker at an event, pub etc.
The problem is, its engraved into our culture, the first question i'm always asked when not drinking is "oh, whats wrong?" like there must be something wrong with you if your not drinking. It comes right down to our culture and the fact Australia is the #1 binge drinking nation in the world.
Along with being a personal trainer for 10 years and now managing a gym in rural Victoria, i'm an alcohol and drug education facilitator. Targeting Uni sites and Uni Resident leaders, teaching everything from calculating your B.A.C, to how to look after your mates while drinking, the benefits of having sober mates, etc, trying to change that culture from the early adult levels, and its tough.

Now me, im a Vodka, water and lime man, no hangover no matter how much i drink and few calories:straining:
I'll have a drink just to unwind on a Friday afternoon, maybe go through half a bottle and just chill out. But i do find it as an escape/release when im really bummed out, or stressed which i know is not healthy, a habit i'm trying to stop.

oh right. I'd drink 5-6 pints every friday night but i'm over 100kgs so not really a big deal. Never had any issues with sleep or health etc.

Big night would be 20 mixers + spirits minimum.
Yep I am over 100kg as well. I’d probably have 8-9 pints when I was drinking at pubs watching the footy. So you’re looking at 2 a quarter, 1 every 15 minutes. It’s a fair dip.

I’d tell my mrs I’d only had 2-3.

Its a funny concept, the non drinker at an event, pub etc.
The problem is, its engraved into our culture, the first question i'm always asked when not drinking is "oh, whats wrong?" like there must be something wrong with you if your not drinking. It comes right down to our culture and the fact Australia is the #1 binge drinking nation in the world.
Along with being a personal trainer for 10 years and now managing a gym in rural Victoria, i'm an alcohol and drug education facilitator. Targeting Uni sites and Uni Resident leaders, teaching everything from calculating your B.A.C, to how to look after your mates while drinking, the benefits of having sober mates, etc, trying to change that culture from the early adult levels, and its tough.

Now me, im a Vodka, water and lime man, no hangover no matter how much i drink and few calories:straining:
I'll have a drink just to unwind on a Friday afternoon, maybe go through half a bottle and just chill out. But i do find it as an escape/release when im really bummed out, or stressed which i know is not healthy, a habit i'm trying to stop.

Honestly I find the concept of drinking to unwind bizarre. If I’m stressed or need to unwind I’d much rather get to the beach for a swim or hit the gym or something (not having a go at you at all just noting it’s another cultural thing to drink to unwind)

Honestly I find the concept of drinking to unwind bizarre. If I’m stressed or need to unwind I’d much rather get to the beach for a swim or hit the gym or something (not having a go at you at all just noting it’s another cultural thing to drink to unwind)
Oh i totally get it. Probably also to do a bit with living in rural Victoria, there is not really a lot around. Id love to hang at the beach, but thats not available, gym is one outlet, but i already train 4-5 x week. So its chill on my deck with some music playing and a glass.

Yep I am over 100kg as well. I’d probably have 8-9 pints when I was drinking at pubs watching the footy. So you’re looking at 2 a quarter, 1 every 15 minutes. It’s a fair dip.

I’d tell my mrs I’d only had 2-3.

yeah fair enough thats quite a few. The Mrs would generally smell a rat if i've had over about 6-7 pints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back