PS5 Returnal

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got through the 5th biome after about 5 or 6 game crashes on runs where i'd been doing well. Had 2 back up lives and about halfway through the 6th biome I decide to pick up a new weapon i'd never used. What an awful mistake. Immediately in a fight against two tough enemies plus a bunch of smaller annoying enemies and I have a gun i've never used that has no power ups, lose one life, try to run away, end up at a dead end, go back, lose next life so go back to that reanimator thing. Thankfully got to trace my steps back and get the awesome tachyomatic carbine I had in the first place. Continue on, get to the boss, get it to it's last health bar and die.

I have such deep regrets about picking up that weapon. Deep, deep regrets. I had 200% health, 40% protection, things were going so well :(
lemme guess... the harpoon gun?

How is this playing at the moment, I heard there were some issues at launch with crashes etc.

I’m thinking about picking it up after Ratchet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

lemme guess... the harpoon gun?
I don't remember what it was called, but you shoot a red bolt sort of thing, and then there's a delay before it explodes. You could probably call it a harpoon gun. I hated it. So very much.

Beat the final boss yesterday. Found a great rotgland lobber that saved me.

So I continued on after finishing, to do act 3. Is anyone else super disappointed that you go back to 0 proficiency? I was looking forward to continuing using the guns with multiple attachments, since it made it significantly more fun. Why not just scale up the enemies so you dont just breeze through? I wouldn't even mind if you went back to 0 proficiency but were able to continue using the attachments on the guns. But being back to 1 attachment sucks.
Edit: at least you breeze through pretty quickly. Got through the first 3 biomes in one run. Back to good guns now. Hooray.

Last edited:
Beat the final boss yesterday. Found a great rotgland lobber that saved me.

So I continued on after finishing, to do act 3. Is anyone else super disappointed that you go back to 0 proficiency? I was looking forward to continuing using the guns with multiple attachments, since it made it significantly more fun. Why not just scale up the enemies so you dont just breeze through? I wouldn't even mind if you went back to 0 proficiency but were able to continue using the attachments on the guns. But being back to 1 attachment sucks.
Edit: at least you breeze through pretty quickly. Got through the first 3 biomes in one run. Back to good guns now. Hooray.
yeah I know what you mean; although I found that just being able to use guns that weren't available in earlier biomes meant that you smashed enemies pretty badly anyway. It would be OP AF to use the 4 trait weapons!!

I’m thinking about picking this up now I’m done with Ratchet, has it ever been on sale?

Best price I can find is $104

No sale yet, the game has been out less than 2 months. This was priced as one of the higher tier price points for next gen games and still sold well so I don't expect to see it go cheaper than that 104 any time soon.

I’m thinking about picking this up now I’m done with Ratchet, has it ever been on sale?

Best price I can find is $104

I got mine with the $49 + 2 game trade in deal at EB. The games only have to be worth $10, although mine were probably more like $15 each so ended up paying only $79. This seems to be the way, cheaper to jump right in and cope a hit with trading back in if it is bad. Sony exclusives rarely are though.

I finished it, and honestly, I miss it a lot. Might plat it now that they are fixing the trophy bug
I played it again last night after the patch. Started the other ending by going into the house in the 4th biome. Still couldn't find the recording in Biome 1 that I am missing but managed to kill the 1st boss for some revenge fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bend and Suckerpunch added pretty good post-game content down the track, I hope the same happens with Returnal. Co-Op, Boss Gauntlet and Survival/Horde modes would all work. Would be nice to play Biome 1-3 with the stronger trait weapons, or be able to do one long run from 1-6 with no reset also.

Favourite guns/alt-fires?

After hating them both initially, Hollowseeker and Rotgland Lobber would be my favourites. Get some good attachments on the Hollowseeker and you just shred everything. Tendril pod is by far my favourite alt fire, second would probably be Voidbeam or Doombringer.

After hating them both initially, Hollowseeker and Rotgland Lobber would be my favourites. Get some good attachments on the Hollowseeker and you just shred everything. Tendril pod is by far my favourite alt fire, second would probably be Voidbeam or Doombringer.
Easily the stink lobber. With explosive rot. Hollowseeker (with waves, portal beam & turret, serrated) second for me. Surprisingly, the pistol with homing missiles is amazing. Worst by far is the shotgun.

As for alt fire, did you know the doombringer can break the orange shields that you need the extra strength melee artefact for? It's so cool. Unless they patched that out recently, that is

Easily the stink lobber. With explosive rot. Hollowseeker (with waves, portal beam & turret, serrated) second for me. Surprisingly, the pistol with homing missiles is amazing. Worst by far is the shotgun.

As for alt fire, did you know the doombringer can break the orange shields that you need the extra strength melee artefact for? It's so cool. Unless they patched that out recently, that is
Portal beam is probably my favourite attachment. That or retarget.
I can't bring myself to use the pistol after I ditch it from the start. I hate it. I've had a few insanely good shotguns so I don't mind it too much.

I discovered that fact about Doombringer yesterday which kind of prompted adding that to the question haha.

I'm the same. Hollowseeker has the edge due to the fun of shooting but the Lobber is just so deadly, 1 hit and all the small adds just die. Trying to get all of the weapons traits up while exploring but once I have a decent Hollowseeker it just doesn't come out of my hands unless it's a better one.

My one gripe is not being allowed to stack similar artefacts or parasites. I recon they should let us break the game, especially after completing it.

No sale yet, the game has been out less than 2 months. This was priced as one of the higher tier price points for next gen games and still sold well so I don't expect to see it go cheaper than that 104 any time soon.

And exactly 100 deaths later I get the credits to roll. What an awesome game.

Last run I had the Hollowseeker with portal beam and portal turret plus serrated projectiles and phasing rounds. Melted the final boss. I even passed up a beastly level 30 electro pylon driver to keep it.

And exactly 100 deaths later I get the credits to roll. What an awesome game.

Last run I had the Hollowseeker with portal beam and portal turret plus serrated projectiles and phasing rounds. Melted the final boss. I even passed up a beastly level 30 electro pylon driver to keep it.
That's a sexy roll!

I'm adding the Electopylon Driver to the list. I think i get hit the least when using this gun & it just rips through enemies. Even better than the Hollowseeker, although doesn't sound or feel as good to shoot.

A couple of hours (around 6 runs) into this now and really enjoying it. I wasn’t interested in this on release as rogue-likes never appealed to me, but Hades completely changed that for me!

Made it up to the first boss on my third run and got him down one and a half bars but I think I was pretty underpowered.

Looks great and makes really good use of the dual sense adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back