Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

I am genuinely surprised by how good this is . Despitse some terrible try hard moves from Joe Lyn Turner he actually pulls this off. ANd the orchestra is amazing

Nothing beats Tupac for mine, then daylight, then Biggie, then daylight, then the rest. I read an interesting article suggesting Kanye West killed gangsta rap, his album went head to head with 50 cent in 05-06 and there hasn't been a true gangsta rapper since then.. which is a shame because that's what I love.

But it could be argued Eminem watered down rap before Kanye...

I think that there was a time when cutting edge rap and mainstream rap weren't mutually exclusive, from the late 1980s to the early 1990s, but after that rap became a parody of itself. The edgy stuff is out there, but I think that you have to work harder to find it.

I liked Tupac, though he was often too bombastic for my taste. Ice Cube (post-NWA) was a revelation: brutal, intelligent. Biggie was clever, and the lyricism of Nas (re: Illmatic) was quite the mindblower. There seemed to be something for every ear back then. But yes, things since then have become more and more synthesised, more vacuous, like everything is stuck on a loop. Or maybe I'm just out of my time, stuck somewhere else while the music has drifted beyond me.

I think that there was a time when cutting edge rap and mainstream rap weren't mutually exclusive, from the late 1980s to the early 1990s, but after that rap became a parody of itself. The edgy stuff is out there, but I think that you have to work harder to find it.

I liked Tupac, though he was often too bombastic for my taste. Ice Cube (post-NWA) was a revelation: brutal, intelligent. Biggie was clever, and the lyricism of Nas (re: Illmatic) was quite the mindblower. There seemed to be something for every ear back then. But yes, things since then have become more and more synthesised, more vacuous, like everything is stuck on a loop. Or maybe I'm just out of my time, stuck somewhere else while the music has drifted beyond me.

I think after the death of Tupac and Biggie a paranoia swept through, before that they just said what was on their mind, after that they censored themselves and were careful not to go 'over the line'. I like Tupac the most because of the issues he raised and he wasn't afraid to go anywhere, to me he was the realist. He's still my favourite artist across all genres.

I am genuinely surprised by how good this is . Despitse some terrible try hard moves from Joe Lyn Turner he actually pulls this off. ANd the orchestra is amazing

Disagree completely - to me this is yet another example of how woeful JLT is live. The only genuinely surprising thing for me is that RJD didn't come flying in from the grave to smack Turner out for even attempting THE Rainbow masterpiece.

I see your Slayer and raise you with

Never thought a womans voice could scare the @#%# out of me and sounds awesome.
I was wrong.

You wanna be scared? Put your headphones on and sit through this without losing your teeth. Vocalist from the underworld. Saw her live in Melbourne once - mindblowing.

You wanna be scared? Put your headphones on and sit through this without losing your teeth. Vocalist from the underworld. Saw her live in Melbourne once - mindblowing.

Didn't she break up the Beatles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only got to listen to it now. She should do a duet with Mike Patton

I have many singers that I adore, but the best one I can mention is Billy Corgan. His voice is calming and it even eases my anxiety. I could also mention: Isaac Brock. He has a funky accent but his vocals are hella unique. Idk how to describe it but he sounds like he comes from a rural environment. The only thing that bothers me is that he has little to no emotion/change of tone unless it's angst or maniac. He's miserable. :c Hailey Williams. She has a great voice. Loved it for years.
Haven't listened to the smashing pumpkins for years, one of my favorite ever bands :thumbsu: I found their songs a bit polarising though in that some are very calming but others are downright depressing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back