Toast Richard 'Hollywood' Douglas

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh so you ignore the thoughts by one of his teammates and go for the tweet by a random? well done, guess thats why they call you slippery pete

Ahh the old inner sanctum know best argument. How many times have we heard that over the last 20 years.

Warwick Capper was a teammate once.

Ahh the old inner sanctum know best argument. How many times have we heard that over the last 20 years.

Warwick Capper was a teammate once.
certainly have a better idea than the rest of us in terms of leadership and on field involvement. But sure all you bigfooty posters that have it in for douglas know better... I have been a douglas hater in the past but i've come to appreciate his ability to kick goals from nowhere and rotate through the midfield. He isn't our best player but he is nowhere near the cut.

On balance, Douglas still brings more positives than negatives.

He's a genuine hard head who can't be faulted for bravery. He brings a little bit of mongrel in a team that lacks it. He can create a goal out of very little without needing much space to work in. His handball can be a genuine weapon (think of the absolute ripper 20 metre bullet to Atkins to set up a goal against Sydney). He's strong over the ball and doesn't get bumped off it or rag dolled with it.

On the downside, he's not getting any younger. He can't provide the spread, run and carry that he once might have. He's never been a massive ball winner (average 18 per game with a career high of 33). And he leads the world in the unofficial stat of "carrying the ball for 10 metres only to have his kick smothered by someone running at him that he apparently didn't see".

McGovern - 8 weeks.

Honestly; one of the dumbest acts by a senior player you’ll ever see.
Come the disappointing end to 2018, that moment will be the on-field symbol of our season. A real 'sliding doors' moment.

Off-field, it will be a crowded room of Crows players in the medical rooms.

Would you say steve waugh running into gillespi was the dumbest act you've seen by an Australian cricketer?

For the record..not giving his all would've been the worst thing douglas could have done
He couldn’t have given his all and used his brain at the same time?

He was brave but dumb. He got a finger tip to the ball, he was never going to impact on the play in a way that he could control the way he attacked the ball. The smart play would have been for him to be front and centre ready to pick up crumbs or tackle. He does either of those things and we win.

He was brave but dumb. He got a finger tip to the ball, he was never going to impact on the play in a way that he could control the way he attacked the ball. The smart play would have been for him to be front and centre ready to pick up crumbs or tackle. He does either of those things and we win.
Hindsight is an easy thing to utilise and easy to be blindsight by the outcome. Dougie went for the ball with the intention of not making it easy for the Port forwards to not mark the ball.

If Dougie ended up marking the ball, or perhaps knocking out Neade instead of McGovern, then his solitary act would have been hailed as one of the most inspiring piece of bravery in the history of the Crows!

There is a fine line between brave and stupid. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck!

Hindsight is an easy thing to utilise and easy to be blindsight by the outcome. Dougie went for the ball with the intention of not making it easy for the Port forwards to not mark the ball.

If Dougie ended up marking the ball, or perhaps knocking out Neade instead of McGovern, then his solitary act would have been hailed as one of the most inspiring piece of bravery in the history of the Crows!

There is a fine line between brave and stupid. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck!
You often read “you need experienced players”, the reason being they make smart decisions given their level of experience.

The experienced player should have known where our players were positioned and that we outnumbered Port. An experienced player should have known that he had no hope whatsoever of marking that ball. An experienced player should have made a decision which could see him control the outcome of his actions.

It wasn’t bad luck. The outcome was a direct consequence of his actions.

Wow, people are being harsh on Douglas.

He put his body on the line running with the flight of the ball. In my book that is what courageous players do when the game is on the line and what I would want to see from all the crows players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when are 200+ game Club Champions excused as being the 18-22 best player?

Look at guys like Jordan Lewis or Kieran Jack - not outright stars, but consistently very good ever week.

Meanwhile, our 200gamers are consistently s**t.
Douglas’ performance this year doesn’t lose anything by comparison to Lewis’ and I think he’s superior to Jack.

He’s no champion - and he made a telling error on Saturday night** - but he’s delivering like you’d expect from a solid veteran player.

**I judge both Douglas’ and Greenwood’s mistakes in the last minute much less harshly than Atkins’ as at least they were fully committed...

He put his body on the line running with the flight of the ball. In my book that is what courageous players do when the game is on the line and what I would want to see from all the crows players.
Also, it looks like Neade does a dirty on Gov by shoving Gov into the on coming Douglas. Might gif it later but in slow mo, can see Gov is trying to slow down when he sees Douglas coming along but Neade has his arm around Gov's back and actually pulls Gov along and into Douglas' path. Think we owe Neade one for that, the little sh!t.

Mackay is the one who should be copping more heat. He was tagging along behind Gov and Neade in ****ing no man's land - not in a position to spoil, crumb or receive a handball. That toe poke straight into the hands of the Port player was off him. Then, despite being on the goal side of the contest he ends up trailing Motlop.

Then there was the matter of the missed set shot from 25m.

Time to drop him once and for all.

Mackay is the one who should be copping more heat. He was tagging along behind Gov and Neade in ****ing no man's land - not in a position to spoil, crumb or receive a handball. That toe poke straight into the hands of the Port player was off him. Then, despite being on the goal side of the contest he ends up trailing Motlop.

Then there was the matter of the missed set shot from 25m.

Time to drop him once and for all.
We've been saying it for years and there's no chance with our injury list and 'games played' stats to look after but if this happened it would certainly be a silver lining on a dark week.

He's one of our most senior players, a past club champion, yet 55% of his games have yielded less than 20 possessions and he's had less than ten 30+ possession games in his entire 226 game career.

Come on you blokes, let's start being honest with our assessments - they are bad numbers.

Last edited:

Oh how it's so easy for people to spell out the "smart play" watching the tapes over and over and over again. It's an extremely high pressure game, we've just hit the front. There is a contest to win and Douglas tries to do exactly that. He's got his eyes firmly on the ball and wouldnt have even seen McGovern coming!

If he had tipped the ball with his fingertip and it spilled out to a loose Atkins/Laird/Mackay in that scenario, the whole board would be rejoicing and praising him for his hardness and willingness to throw his body on the line when it matters most.

That scenario could have played out 50 million different ways, it's just the fact that it resulted in a Port goal that the standard knee jerk reaction of BigFooty it to now want him delisted and people questioning his worth to the side.

I love how no one is teeing off at Greenwood for taking that extra split second on his clearance which then results in a dud kick, while he also had Matt just to his left wide open who he could have handballed too instead. I love how no one is questioning how the **** Motlop is running into our 50 at that stage of the game in an absolute paddock of space, with 4 other crows players around him twiddling their thumbs.

Some serious, serious candidates for Captain Hindsight going around here lately. Douglas did what any coach would have asked of him, and what any player that wants to win would have done. It was purely luck that it didn't come off and literally nothing else.

Oh how it's so easy for people to spell out the "smart play" watching the tapes over and over and over again. It's an extremely high pressure game, we've just hit the front. There is a contest to win and Douglas tries to do exactly that. He's got his eyes firmly on the ball and wouldnt have even seen McGovern coming!

If he had tipped the ball with his fingertip and it spilled out to a loose Atkins/Laird/Mackay in that scenario, the whole board would be rejoicing and praising him for his hardness and willingness to throw his body on the line when it matters most.

That scenario could have played out 50 million different ways, it's just the fact that it resulted in a Port goal that the standard knee jerk reaction of BigFooty it to now want him delisted and people questioning his worth to the side.

I love how no one is teeing off at Greenwood for taking that extra split second on his clearance which then results in a dud kick, while he also had Matt just to his left wide open who he could have handballed too instead. I love how no one is questioning how the **** Motlop is running into our 50 at that stage of the game in an absolute paddock of space, with 4 other crows players around him twiddling their thumbs.

Some serious, serious candidates for Captain Hindsight going around here lately. Douglas did what any coach would have asked of him, and what any player that wants to win would have done. It was purely luck that it didn't come off and literally nothing else.
Simple question, was Douglas’s attempt a realistic attempt to impact on the play with any control?

He's one of our most senior players, a past club champion, yet 55% of his games have yielded less than 20 possessions and he's had less than ten 30+ possession games in his entire 226 game career.

Come on you blokes, let's start being honest with our assessments - they are bad numbers.
Just look at his possession count in our losses, 13,14&15 compared to his possession count in our 3 wins against poor teams.

I appreciate he had a defensive role against Sydney which hurt his numbers but those performances are pretty damming and definition of a flat track bully.

If you hate those stats just wait until you look up David Mackay's career.

Currently on 192 games. Just 11 with 25 or more touches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back