Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Wondering what that means? Well Benny Gale, the new CEO has come up with his own version of the 5 year plan; 3 finals, zero debt and 75,000 members in 5 years time.

Looks like more of the same on the way.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rian-club-20100303-pizq.html?posted=sucessful

The Tigers are determined to rouse the sleeping giant of football and their dormant fans through their plan, which carries a motto of 3-0-75. The motto stands for playing finals three times, having zero debt and signing 75,000 members within the next five years.

The five-year plan is about positioning the club for where it will be by the end of the decade, with a vision for 2020 that they return not just to being one of the top four Victorian clubs, but the top Victorian club.

I got burnt when I hung it on Hawks for doing these predictions, so I'll bite my tounge on this one.

But really....75k members?? why not 60? or even 50? I think they will fall short on this one, but hell, good on them if they reach it.

With the imaginative and cheap membership packages now available, added to the pressure of supporters to now become paid up members, this dosen't sound impossible to me.

I think a lot of clubs can achieve this. Certainly the Big 4 clubs anyway.

How did they come up with the million attendees mark mentioned in the article. Back then clubs played home games at home grounds. This means playing the Pies, Hawks etc at Vic Park, Glenferie etc.

Is Gale aware that:

1. their list is full of holes
2. GC17 and GWS are coming in who will have priority access to players via the draft and trading.

Fail to see where they are going to get players from.

How did they come up with the million attendees mark mentioned in the article. Back then clubs played home games at home grounds. This means playing the Pies, Hawks etc at Vic Park, Glenferie etc.

Is Gale aware that:

1. their list is full of holes
2. GC17 and GWS are coming in who will have priority access to players via the draft and trading.

Fail to see where they are going to get players from.

The million attendees is fact. Richmond had moved to the MCG by then and were a huge club on top of the table.

At least they're showing some ambition.

Seems [FONT=&quot]over exuberant. Two finals series in 28 years in recent history suggests they would be bucking the trend to get three finals in the next five years. Also 75,000 members and laying off a $4 million debt would be staggering. Still good on them, at least it is a positive step forward. Can't see it coming to fruition but who knows, anything is possible.
[/FONT]

They're certainly 'aspirational' goals.

3 finals...Well, this year is probably out, so it's 3 of the next 4, but with our best players all 22 and younger and having their best years ahead of them, you'd think we're bound to improve in the coming years...Challenging, but not impossible.

0 debt. Should be possible. I think we owe ~4 million ( mostly due to the new training facilities ), but we've been making a decent profit recently, and if we make 3 finals and 75,000 members, it should happen easily enough.

75,000 members...Damn that's a lot. I think AFL club membership has been exploding lately, and fear we'll soon get to a point where you need to be a member to get entry to the grounds for H&A matches ( like already happens with WCE ), which will encourage people to join up, but...Damn that's a lot.

Why aim for 75,000 members? But not a Premeirship? One will have to come in order to reach the other, surely.

As Dr Turf stated this morning on SEN, there's a fine line between ambition and delusion. The Tigers may have just tripped over it.

boy, Richmond sure do love a 5 year plan, don't they?

Let's hope this one turns out a bit better than the last one

Hawthorn set a similar one in 2007 -

At their 2007 Annual General Meeting, Hawthorn embarked on a five year business plan titled "five2fifty", the core idea being that in the next five years the club will target to win 2 premierships and have fifty thousand members. As part of the plan, the football club wants to be seen as the most professional club in the AFL, and places great emphasis on the welfare of the people associated with the club.[6]

Looked what happened, they have nearly achieved all of it.

I'm not saying this will happen with us but there's nothing wrong with setting goals and striving for them as a club. The difference this time is there's not a 5 year deal to along with that plan, we don't have a spinmaster coach that will say anything to keep his job. The only thing I'm unhappy with is releasing it to the media, I'm sure they will have a field day with it if we don't meet some of the goals.

Hawthorn set a similar one in 2007 -

At their 2007 Annual General Meeting, Hawthorn embarked on a five year business plan titled "five2fifty", the core idea being that in the next five years the club will target to win 2 premierships and have fifty thousand members. As part of the plan, the football club wants to be seen as the most professional club in the AFL, and places great emphasis on the welfare of the people associated with the club.[6]

Looked what happened, they have nearly achieved all of it.

I'm not saying this will happen with us but there's nothing wrong with setting goals and striving for them as a club. The difference this time is there's not a 5 year deal to along with that plan, we don't have a spinmaster coach that will say anything to keep his job. The only thing I'm unhappy with is releasing it to the media, I'm sure they will have a field day with it if we don't meet some of the goals.

They shipped games to Tassie and yet pull in $2m less in membership than the Pies so membership numbers does not mean dollars in the door.

The big difference though is they got Buddy, you got Tambling. Buddy attracts non Hawk fans to watch in the same way Nik Nat will.

They shipped games to Tassie and yet pull in $2m less in membership than the Pies so membership numbers does not mean dollars in the door.

The big difference though is they got Buddy, you got Tambling. Buddy attracts non Hawk fans to watch in the same way Nik Nat will.
what's the point of bringing up nicnat?
if Richmond passed on him then fine, but there is no point

It's also Gale's job as CEO to have a vision for the future and then formulating and implementing plans to get there. It would be neglegent not to do that in his position. I'm sure other teams have similar type visions - see Hawthorn's five2fifty.

I also notice in the article there's no quotes from anyone at Richmond to do with it and Gale declined to comment on it. I'm fine with it, just not happy the media got ahold of it instead of doing it internally, I'm sure they will twist it into something that it's not to make us lood bad.

Brendan Gale is a smart operator and I have faith in his abilities to deliver results. The 75k membership is over the top though unless we do a hawthorn and include pets and 1 game memberships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back