RIP Prince, The Artist Formerly Known As

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Madonna? Interesting pick

Well might have something to do with she is the only pop legend still alive now with Micheal and prince gone.

Madonna and prince started out around the same time plus artistically they were very similar. Both used sex and contrversy to sell records! Both dated briefly in 1985! Both highly respected each other's art. Prince produced 3 songs on Madonna's like a prayer album in 1989 and sand together on love song.

Seriously Madonna will do prince justice. Madonna like prince is a brilliant entertainer.

Omg and people who a saying Taylor swift omg yes she is the it girl atm but don't put in the same league as Madonna, prince and Michael who are the holy trinity of pop music. Be interested to see what songs she performs think maybe 3. If that is the case Madonna would perform

Droves cry
Kiss
And cream or 1999!

What ? Similar?
Madonna is going to play guitar, keyboards or drums.
All she can do is sing.

Yeah, she was a mega pop star of the mid to late 1980's but she is more famous for selling an image, outspoken and being famous.
Musically probably 1% of Prince ability.

Exactly. Madonna has an average voice, don't why she was picked. Her career has been based on PR, sex, and image with catchy pop songs

They could at least pick a few singers who can actually sing his songs. someone like Bruno Mars would've done a good job

Exactly. Madonna has an average voice, don't why she was picked. Her career has been based on PR, sex, and image with catchy pop songs

They could at least pick a few singers who can actually sing his songs. someone like Bruno Mars would've done a good job
They only got Madonna cos they couldn't get Tay Tay.

...All she can do is sing...

Debatable.

You would like to see something different if they are going to celebrate the life of one of the great artists of all time.

What ? Similar?
All she can do is sing.

Yeah, she was a mega pop star of the mid to late 1980's but she is more famous for selling an image, outspoken and being famous.

Madonna has been a mega pop star for three decades. She has outlasted any pop star from the 80's. Madonna was having massive hits until 2008 while princes last big hit was in 1994 and Michael in 2001!

Madonna a a perfect fit to do a tribute to prince. Out of the 3 mega pop stars of the 80's and 90's Madonna is the only one still alive. She will do a brilliant job but she will put her twist on the tribute and not copy prince as that will be tacky.

No one can emulate prince same with someone trying to emmualte Michael or Madonna. They are legends for a reason and that is that now one even if they tried can come close to the three biggest pop stars the world has ever known.

No one gives Madonna credit for what she has accomplished in the music business. She is the 4th highest selling recording artist of all time with over 300 million records world wide. She has the equal most no.1 hit singles on the world United charts with 22 no.1 singles (equal with Elvis) and has had more top 10 singles then any other artist ever with 47 top 10 hits.

The United world charts takes into account sales from 23 of the world biggest music markets.

What ? Similar?
All she can do is sing.

Also Madonna is famous for her endless number of huge classic hits! Without the music her career would if ended in 1986!

Madonna v Prince feud. Some interesting from Prince a few years ago.

Despite dieting on Love Song which featured on her Like a Prayer album, Prince had a few choice words to say about the Material Girl singer during his career.

Referring to his sour contract with Warner Bros. Records, Prince blamed Madonna for taking up much of the label’s focus.

In an interview with Billboard magazine, he said: “It was also about Madonna ...

“She was getting paid, but at the time we were selling more records and selling out concerts on multiple nights.”

Prince also took a swipe at Madonna during his 2007 London concert, saying: “I got so many hits y’all can’t handle me. I got more hits than Madonna’s got kids.”

from: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s/news-story/d9b3ef86d8a2f963959cc3927b1ae75c

Both Madonna and Prince were/are very amateur composers at best. That's the only quality that's of any interest. So overall I don't rate their music at all :)

Madonna v Prince feud. Some interesting from Prince a few years ago.

Despite dieting on Love Song which featured on her Like a Prayer album, Prince had a few choice words to say about the Material Girl singer during his career.

Referring to his sour contract with Warner Bros. Records, Prince blamed Madonna for taking up much of the label’s focus.

In an interview with Billboard magazine, he said: “It was also about Madonna ...

“She was getting paid, but at the time we were selling more records and selling out concerts on multiple nights.”

Prince also took a swipe at Madonna during his 2007 London concert, saying: “I got so many hits y’all can’t handle me. I got more hits than Madonna’s got kids.”

from: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s/news-story/d9b3ef86d8a2f963959cc3927b1ae75c

Actually prince saying that that he was selling more records then Madonna at the time now I'm not sure what year he stated that but I think it was in the 90's when actually none of princes albums has never out sold any of Madonna's albums even in the early 90's when Madonna's erotica album and bedtime stories album sold 6 million and 7 million world wide. In the 90's Madonna only toured in 1990 and 1993!

Last year tho when Madonna was performing in St.Paul prince invited her and her dancers to watch him do a private show after prince saw her live and apparently prince and Madonna made. Prince stated that he was sorry and he was impressed with her work of art.

Madonna is fitting to do a tribute to a legend from a legend:)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I havent seen Madonna's performance yet but her Prince's tribute received some mix feedback

SOME said it was an emotional triumph. Others said it was “horrific” and “flat”.

Madonna’s tribute to Prince at the Billboard Music Awards was always going to be controversial — and her eventual performance certainly split opinion.

The Queen of Pop closed Sunday night’s awards with an emotional tribute to the late legend, performing two of his best-loved ballads.

Dressed in circa Purple Rain attire, the 57-year-old longtime friend of Prince took to the stage on a purple throne to the opening strains of Let’s Go Crazy. She then delivered a faithful performance of the 1990 classic Nothing Compares 2 U.

Social media reaction was mixed. Some said she proved her doubters wrong with a stirring performance; others wished her microphone had been turned off.

Rival awards ceremony the BET Awards even joined in on the hate, tweeting a video minutes after Madonna’s performance ended saying ‘Yeah, we saw that. Don’t worry. We got you’:
Madonna had been a surprisingly controversial choice for the tribute, with thousands signing an online petition demanding that another, more appropriate performer pay tribute instead.

Nothing Compares 2 U, penned by Prince, was a massive worldwide smash for singer Sinead O’Connor, who has herself been in the news in recent weeks amid continuing fears for her mental health.

As the ballad ended, Madonna then segued into Prince’s signature song, Purple Rain,and was joined on stage by fellow music legend Stevie Wonder.

Drummer and Prince acolyte Questlove introduced the performance, saying that “no matter your race, creed, sexual orientation, all of us live in the land of music. And his departure from it was an earthquake.”

Wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with Prince’s song lyrics and a badge of the icon’s unpronounceable symbol, he led the crowd in a moment of silence.

As the performance ended, Madonna held Wonder’s hand and addressed the crowd, who all wore glowing purple wristbands for the moment:

“Thank you all ladies and gentlemen, thank you Stevie Wonder. Most of all, thank you Prince Rogers Nelson.”

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/dacc600db2670bf05a05e5dae675cb94

I just wish they got someone that could sing to honour the great man.

Madonna is what she is (and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how successful she is) but a singer she ain't.

Madonna deserved to honour Prince! Both prince and Madonna had tremendous respect for each other, both legends who where both born in the same year started out around the same time and both dominated the music charts in the 80's and 90's. Both were great entertainer's, both overly sexual in their live shows and both wrote and produced catchy pop song's. They dated briefly in 1985, both worked together on Madonna's 1989 like a prayer album, both had the same record company for over 20 years in Warner bros.

Madonna was the perfect fit imo it was a tribute done with class. She sang nothing compares to you and purple rain and reinvented it to her style. Madonna sang with a lot of emotion and was actually in tears. They became good friends towards the end of last year and by reports prince appologised to at his place when he performed a private show for her and her dances after watching Madonna's rebel heart tour.

Madonna is now the last living legend from the 80's after prince and Michael Jackson have passed on. Unfortunately people have and will always be hard on Madonna and the true impact of her toward popular culture will not be appreciated until she joins Michael and prince in heaven.

Remember Madonna is the highest selling female artist and 4th highest of all time and the most successful solo touring artist. At the end of the Day Madonna like prince and Michael Jackson is a true icon and legend that will never be taken from her.

Yeah but she can't sing.

Madonna can sing!! She is not the best singer but she can sing! Is Madonna performed lets go crazy or cream and nailed every single dance move which she would of people would still complain.

But then I suppose Madonna fans would complain if Madonna had passed away and lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Rihanna covered like a virgin, like a prayer and vogue. The original singer who made the songs iconic would perform it better of course.

I think Madonna did a good job it was heartfelt and sung with emotion and that all I could hope for.

bet-awards-prince-tribute.jpg

http://tvline.com/2016/05/23/madonna-prince-tribute-bet-awards-twitter-shade/

Anyway, I am curious to see BET's tribute.

Madonna can sing!! She is not the best singer but she can sing! Is Madonna performed lets go crazy or cream and nailed every single dance move which she would of people would still complain.

But then I suppose Madonna fans would complain if Madonna had passed away and lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Rihanna covered like a virgin, like a prayer and vogue. The original singer who made the songs iconic would perform it better of course.

I think Madonna did a good job it was heartfelt and sung with emotion and that all I could hope for.
I can sing too. Not well, much like Madonna.

And Gaga has an amazing voice, better than all those listed, and Madonna. Sorry.

I can sing too. Not well, much like Madonna.

And Gaga has an amazing voice, better than all those listed, and Madonna. Sorry.

And yet Madonna is the most successful female artist of all time and in the Rock and roll hall of fame. Much like Michael Madonna will only get praise for your contribution to music and endless number of classic pop hits when she is 6 foot under.

And yet Madonna is the most successful female artist of all time and in the Rock and roll hall of fame. Much like Michael Madonna will only get praise for your contribution to music and endless number of classic pop hits when she is 6 foot under.
Nikki Minaj is successful.

Can she sing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back