Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Who wins the 2022 Rising Star?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches best young player is off your first 2 years of footy.
SDK got 3rd off virtually 1 season while Newcombe and Gulden played both more last season. (SDK played 1 game last year).

Meanwhile Rising Star: Daicos got 5 votes from all 12 voters. SDK got the 4 from all 12. Newcombe got 11 x 3 and 1 x 2.
Newcombe didn't poll any coaches votes last year anyway.

Just marinate on the nuffieness of Twomey and his acolytes having NIC MARTIN and Ginnivan ahead of this bloke! The idiocy knows no bounds.

Congrats to Daicos - best first year in history potentially. SDK is a gun and will be for ten years. Happy with our bloke.

The Hawks bloke won the coaches vote over the two-year period anyway, so everyone's happy after all!

Jai got zero votes last year. Which means just on his votes this year he beat every other player with up to 2 years playing AFL.

All his coach votes were from 2022. And I believe he got double the votes of any other eligible player this year.

Newcombe didn't poll any coaches votes last year anyway.
Which merely highlights that these two awards aren't slights on any candidate in particular as the criteria are different.

AFLCA goes based off voting from individual matches while Rising Star is based off the body of work of the whole season.

Still can’t believe Finn didn’t get a nomination regularly shutting down some of the best in the comp. With Ward, Newk and all the other debutants a very good year for us from a youth perspective.

Ah ok, I remember Tim Kelly winning that one too I think, so it's not even based on age. Good achievement for sure.
Yep, it's not based off age, or games played. Just any player in their first two years based off the year it's awarded.

Which merely highlights that these two awards aren't slights on any candidate in particular as the criteria are different.

AFLCA goes based off voting from individual matches while Rising Star is based off the body of work of the whole season.
AFLCA goes based off each game, which are added to a collective (body of work) end of the season.

Coaches best young player is off your first 2 years of footy.
SDK got 3rd off virtually 1 season while Newcombe and Gulden both played more last season. (SDK played 1 game last year v 7 and 18).

Meanwhile Rising Star: Daicos got 5 votes from all 12 voters. SDK got the 4 from all 12. Newcombe got 11 x 3 and 1 x 2.
Sorry but you're wrong.

Daicos was eligible, and it was based off 2022.

Most votes by a player in their first two seasons, based off the year it was awarded (2022 for this year.)

Sorry but you're wrong.

Daicos was eligible, and it was based off 2022.

Most votes by a player in their first two seasons, based off the year it was awarded (2022 for this year.)
How can I be wrong while not stating he was ineligible or even leaving it open to interpretation as I didn't even mention him.
AFLCA goes based off each game, which are added to a collective (body of work) end of the season.
Which favours mids.

Of the top 19 leaderboard 8 of the top 10 players are midfielders and 5 of that 19 wouldn't play significant minutes in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can I be wrong while not stating he was ineligible or even leaving it open to interpretation as I didn't even mention him.

Which favours mids.

Of the top 19 leaderboard 8 of the top 10 players are midfielders and 5 of that 19 wouldn't play significant minutes in the midfield.
No i mentioned that more so because others have said the same thing.

And yes it probably leads to it, but AFLCA is much less midfield based than say the brownlow.

I would much rather listen to coaches around the league, or even umpires in the brownlow than media persons who do the rising star.

It just makes more sense, people who are involved with footy and understand the game because they run a full team and most have played aswell.

Media just talk, most wouldn't watch every game either.

I'm not a Pies fan, but it made me feel fuzzy inside watching proud father Peter Daicos tearing up slightly as his boy collected the Rising Star award.

Congrats to Nick Daicos and his old man, Peter.

Amazing season. Well deserved.

There have been a few dodgy winners of the Rising Star, but Nick Daicos winning has enhanced it's prestige.
If he stays free of injuries, he will be a champion

I'm not a Pies fan, but it made me feel fuzzy inside watching proud father Peter Daicos tearing up slightly as his boy collected the Rising Star award.

Congrats to Nick Daicos and his old man, Peter.
I can understand why some don't like the father/son rule but it's reasons like this why I'll always be for it, the history of the game is so much richer with Daicos's two sons starring for the Pies instead of wherever they ended up in the draft.

No surprises here, clearest winner in a while.
Gotta lol at the afl.com giving a vote to Nathan Chapman

Back