Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Who wins the 2022 Rising Star?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, please point to a case of so called Vic bias for this award. I can demonstrate how it isn't. Facts about Rising Star:

• There have been 29 Rising Star awards
  • 14 have been won by non-Victorian sides
  • Brisbane have won 4 as the Bears and the Lions
  • Fremantle and Sydney have won 3 each
  • Two sides have yet to win the award, GWS and the Western Bulldogs
  • Of the past 15 rising stars, 7 played midfield that year, 4 played defence, 3 played forward and one played ruck
  • Of the past 15 rising stars, 11 were first year players, 3 were second year players and one third year player
  • Of the past 15 rising stars, 8 of them have been from non-Victorian teams

In reality the only bias about the rising star is that it favours first year players, and if anything it's skewn more towards non-Victorian sides even though they make up 55% of the league

Another mids award. SDK is holding down a far tougher position than Daicos, Newcombe or Rachele. Won't be anything more than a late token nomination though.
As I explained above, it isn't really a "midfielders award". The only inherent bias is towards first year players if it's tight between a first year player and second/third.

As I explained above, it isn't really a "midfielders award". The only inherent bias is towards first year players if it's tight between a first year player and second/third.
I'll clarify. The early rounds where the main contenders tend to get selected it looks to be smaller players far more often. A peruse of the last 6-7 seasons shows that to be the case before the bye midway point. Sam will get a nomination but will be tokenistic.

I'll clarify. The early rounds where the main contenders tend to get selected it looks to be smaller players far more often. A peruse of the last 6-7 seasons shows that to be the case before the bye midway point. Sam will get a nomination but will be tokenistic.
Those pesky small forwards keep popping up with a bag of goals, he's been stiff for over a month now. If the Gold Coast bloke didn't win it this week young Henry probably would've snatched it. Unlucky but he'll get it soon, surely.

sdk1.jpg

sdk2.jpg

Another mids award. SDK is holding down a far tougher position than Daicos, Newcombe or Rachele. Won't be anything more than a late token nomination though.
Newcombe with 17 games to his name is holding down the ruck rover role, getting anywhere between 8-12 more CBA’s than our Brownlow medalist, averaging almost 500m gained a game.

Ok so both Twomey and Barrett have said today that Daicos is leading this thing in their eyes right now. The only logical conclusion I can come up with as to how they arrived at their decisions is that I have somehow slipped into an alternate universe and have been unknowingly watching completely different football games than these guys. :tearsofjoy:

Yeah I'm impressed with De Koning but 1) he's not better or doing it tougher than Newcombe who is his leading his sides midfield or Rachele who is a forward flanker in a poor side and 2) plenty of bags of 5 this year, plus some excellent flanker performances, probably only the 1 week where he was unlucky truly and that was the week Horne-Francis got it, and maybe the week Durdin got it although he did play well (19 disposals and 2 goals).

Martin, Ginnivan and Jeffrey kicked 5. Rachele kicked 3 from 19 touches and had a 5 bag to his name so just needed a half good game to get a belated nomination. Newcombe was BOG on Easter Monday. Bowey had 34 and Chapman had 25 with high intercepts and scoring involvements for a defender.

Add in the 2 unluckiest weeks were both losses for the Cats (Durdin got a win, JHF a loss).

He's essentially filled the hole/gap of Henderson, which is good but it's not like he's been done over massively so far.

Either way he'll get one soon, he'd be top 5 for the year, yet there's not some crazy conspiracy or anti defender/Geelong hatred.

I'd go
5. Newcombe - gun mid
4. Ginnivan - kicked 19 goals, good for =5th in the comp for small forwards, Stephenson won the RS with 34 goals in the H&A season so well on track
3. De Koning - best key position player in this pool
2. Daicos - averaging near 25 touches, although loses points for role
1. Rachele - slipping down now, few more quiet games and injured, but gains points for match turning ability and role

Chapman, Martin next off the rank for if Rachele keeps quieter.

Logan McDonald just starting his move.

Gibcus, JHF, Bowey, Durdin, Henry, O'Driscoll, Hobbs all have their good points but starting from too far back now.

Ok so both Twomey and Barrett have said today that Daicos is leading this thing in their eyes right now. The only logical conclusion I can come up with as to how they arrived at their decisions is that I have somehow slipped into an alternate universe and have been unknowingly watching completely different football games than these guys. :tearsofjoy:
They probably understand football and what he actually does each week alot more than most. But don't worry, you're not the only one who doesn't get it.

I'd go
5. Newcombe - gun mid
4. Ginnivan - kicked 19 goals, good for =5th in the comp for small forwards, Stephenson won the RS with 34 goals in the H&A season so well on track
3. De Koning - best key position player in this pool
2. Daicos - averaging near 25 touches, although loses points for role
1. Rachele - slipping down now, few more quiet games and injured, but gains points for match turning ability and role

Chapman, Martin next off the rank for if Rachele keeps quieter.

Logan McDonald just starting his move.

Gibcus, JHF, Bowey, Durdin, Henry, O'Driscoll, Hobbs all have their good points but starting from too far back now.
And Ginnivan has only played 8 games this year, and probably under more physical pressure than other nominations.

Newcombe's role as leading option in the Hawks current midfield could be the most tough position in the AFL at the moment. He's up against it, we aren't great through there and what little spark we have is mostly on his (admittedly decent sized) shoulders.

Newcombe's role as leading option in the Hawks current midfield could be the most tough position in the AFL at the moment. He's up against it, we aren't great through there and what little spark we have is mostly on his (admittedly decent sized) shoulders.
Jai looks great but at what point do opposing teams start putting time into him? As of now he is largely running around unapposed but time will tell if a team decides to put a tag on him. This is where the real ability shines. I remember Sam Walsh being tagged real early as well but they couldn’t run with him all game as he burnt them fitness wise.

For him this is great though because it shows you are being taken notice of and he deserves it as he has been great so far.

How to say you have never watched Jai Newcombe footy without saying you have never watched Jai Newcombe footy

Newcombe with 17 games to his name is holding down the ruck rover role, getting anywhere between 8-12 more CBA’s than our Brownlow medalist, averaging almost 500m gained a game.

3 Hawks with 3 irrelevant replies to the remark made. 1 utterly pointless remark and 2 describing him as a midfielder.
Yeah I kinda got that part already. Formed the basis of the argument that he among Daicos and Rachele were in easier roles than being literally the only true KPD in the team, with no reserves back up, and acquitting himself better than expected.

So not really any point responding really, you said nothing that wasn't already known.
Those pesky small forwards keep popping up with a bag of goals, he's been stiff for over a month now. If the Gold Coast bloke didn't win it this week young Henry probably would've snatched it. Unlucky but he'll get it soon, surely.

View attachment 1407502

View attachment 1407503
Precisely. Been outstanding as the boys there are going through.
Ha Ha getting beat out by someone who started as sub would be typical lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 Hawks with 3 irrelevant replies to the remark made. 1 utterly pointless remark and 2 describing him as a midfielder.
Yeah I kinda got that part already. Formed the basis of the argument that he among Daicos and Rachele were in easier roles than being literally the only true KPD in the team, with no reserves back up, and acquitting himself better than expected.

So not really any point responding really, you said nothing that wasn't already known.

Precisely. Been outstanding as the boys there are going through.
Ha Ha getting beat out by someone who started as sub would be typical lol.
Gotta love an essay back on a post that was more a joke about the quality of our midfield

Jai looks great but at what point do opposing teams start putting time into him? As of now he is largely running around unapposed but time will tell if a team decides to put a tag on him. This is where the real ability shines. I remember Sam Walsh being tagged real early as well but they couldn’t run with him all game as he burnt them fitness wise.

For him this is great though because it shows you are being taken notice of and he deserves it as he has been great so far.
I remember after the Geelong game Sydney put a lot of attention into him. Will be interesting to see what the Sun's do this week.

I remember after the Geelong game Sydney put a lot of attention into him. Will be interesting to see what the Sun's do this week.
I didnt see the Swans game but did watch the lions game this week who basically ignored him and he burnt them!

I didnt see the Swans game but did watch the lions game this week who basically ignored him and he burnt them!
Most attention he got in the Brisbane game was Fort trying to chase him down and Duke looking back like "What are you trying here big man" as he runs past and kicks it long to the goal square.

One of the pitfalls of having a big name midfield, a lot of guys who love chasing kicks but don’t like doing the defensive stuff. He was best player afield first qtr in the Sydney game then they shut him down and with it our midfield. It’s a huge tick for him but abit of an indictment on the club that our midfield goes to water if you can shut down a 16 gamer

There is still the second half of the season to go if Daicos puts in a few great performances of his own, and polls some coaches votes In the back half of the year it will be close.

I think its great that two of the favourites for the award, Newcombe and Martin under the traditional draft pathway.

Too much fixation around only building a finals contender/rejuvenate the list with 1st round picks only

Hawks certainly have found some non first round pick gems over the last 3 or 4 years etc

Back