Preview Rnd 1 Preview Port Adelaide v St Kilda 1st April 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe that Jacobs too will show a lot of improvement this year, because he will eventually adjust to the speed the game is played at and his skills won't look bad anymore. It's all confidence and he's only going to pick that up by working his arse off at AFL level. The reward is for us that he becomes a player with the class that we need and as much as we all love the Logan's and Thomases theres not a whole lot of room for those types of players in the best teams.

I don't want to see us playing youth teams and significantly compromising the quality of team we put out on the park like Melbourne, but we have to have an eye on where we want to go in the future.

Very nice post all round. I would have felt better with Logan playing and feel for the guy especially when one considers the names that have crept in in front of him. Bit like Banner to some extent who was a positive for us in the back half of last year and has now been cast aside for a new and improved Broadbent, and a couple of others.

Still, if Jacobs can quickly improve with exposure at the top level (and the analogy to O'Shea is a good one), our side will be better for it.

Its the hypnotic way he wears #16. Stats have proven it.

Im quite happy that Logan isnt playing. To me, hes a dependable depth player, when the side is mostly fit he wont get a game. Add in jnr Eberts hardness with McCarthy's running ability its no surprise. The side to me has a good mix of experience and youth. Jacobs strikes me as a guy who suffered a lot last year with an interrupted preseason, combined with being his first year with a terrible defensive midfield.

He may not be the 20+ possie supergun pinpoint kicking halfback we thought be got, yet, but its way early days.

Surjan is a must IN now that hes fit and confident.

Injuries will come and Logan will still play a big part of this year. IMO, be thankful that we are in a position to leave him out.

I think the issue is that we're probably not in a position to leave him out, its just something thats happening.

I think the issue is that we're probably not in a position to leave him out, its just something thats happening.

I understand. TommyG's output is about as reliable as you can get. But he is limited in his ability. If one of Dom, Thomas or Surjan was missing I would expect him to be an instant in to add to our 4qtr hardness ability.

We still have Young, Moore, Salopek to come into the side also.

Why did we leave Logan out...baffling..I reckon he must be injured he would be in my top 10 first picked every week.

He is the only one I know that would stand in the way of a charging full pelt riewoldt lead, Who is going to do that now with jakson out as well... Chappy...pfft

I believe that Jacobs too will show a lot of improvement this year, because he will eventually adjust to the speed the game is played at and his skills won't look bad anymore. It's all confidence and he's only going to pick that up by working his arse off at AFL level. The reward is for us that he becomes a player with the class that we need and as much as we all love the Logan's and Thomases theres not a whole lot of room for those types of players in the best teams.

Jacobs has had a fairly average preseason. What happens if he is gifted games but his form does not improve, his confidence will be shot. Based on form he is not best 22, the only conclusion there is of him getting picked over Logan is his age

Jacobs has had a fairly average preseason. What happens if he is gifted games but his form does not improve, his confidence will be shot. Based on form he is not best 22, the only conclusion there is of him getting picked over Logan is his age
I wouldn't say thats the only conclusion.

I would start off with something more like "they are nowhere near the same type of player, so this correlation =/= causation", and then segue into "there are ordinary players older than Loges getting a run" and maybe even "is there room for Surjan, Kane Cornes AND Logan all to play as primary negators?".

why on earth would Logan be playing? honestly if we are to improve than players that have been shown to be not AFL standard shouldnt be playing. i like Logan, hes a great clubman but people wanting us to have a better year, yet wanting Logan in the side, is insanity.

why on earth would Logan be playing? honestly if we are to improve than players that have been shown to be not AFL standard shouldnt be playing. i like Logan, hes a great clubman but people wanting us to have a better year, yet wanting Logan in the side, is insanity.
:thumbsu: He kornes and brett ebert shouldnt be played unless we have serious injury troubles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why on earth would Logan be playing?

Because he's a better player than about 5 guys who are playing and because our defence is undermanned.

People can use the 'good sides don't have players like Tom Logan' line if they want, but fact of the matter is we're not a good side yet and Tom Logan still deserves a game over plenty of players who are getting one this week.

Maybe it's pre-game nerves but with AFL results panning out over the weekend and the lack of form of our SANFL based players (see other thread), I'm starting to seriously question how ready we are for this game.

The little I saw of the Kangaroos v Essendon match over the internet has made me realise that there are some bloody decent "middle of the road" sides this year.

I desperately hope that our form in the preseason was not misleading and the results of mediocre opposition not taking matches seriously. I think that with the exception of Gray and Trengove, we've picked a very decent side based on what we've seen so far in 2012. Hope they deliver.

Maybe it's pre-game nerves but with AFL results panning out over the weekend and the lack of form of our SANFL based players (see other thread), I'm starting to seriously question how ready we are for this game.

The little I saw of the Kangaroos v Essendon match over the internet has made me realise that there are some bloody decent "middle of the road" sides this year.

I desperately hope that our form in the preseason was not misleading and the results of mediocre opposition not taking matches seriously. I think that with the exception of Gray and Trengove, we've picked a very decent side based on what we've seen so far in 2012. Hope they deliver.

I think it's a fine line. We're going into our first match for the year with a Ruckman in his first AFL match with part-timers as back up. This is against a very good midfield and a forward line containing one of the best players in the comp in Riewoldt who would just love to ignite his season early after a poor one last time around. Not to mention a gargantuan forward line of our own that may have trouble keeping the ball in.

If we're just a smidgeon off our game it could all over red rover at quarter time. Fingers crossed they come through for us.

Like PJ, I'm suddenly a little nervous about the potential result. The optimist says a 2-3 goal win. The pessimist says a 10 goal loss.

Weather looks to be suiting our 3 talls in the forward line. Hopefully, Redden can break even with Mcevoy, our midfield can get on top and we have a good result.:thumbsu:

I was confident all week. Then gray and trengove out dented that. Now watching teams like freo essendon north Melbourne etc play has made me feel that we're not as good as I thought as they all looked bigger stronger and improved.

We will need to make a jump from our preseason form to regular season mode if we are to win. I'm sure there will be a jump - will it be enough?

I was confident all week. Then gray and trengove out dented that. Now watching teams like freo essendon north Melbourne etc play has made me feel that we're not as good as I thought as they all looked bigger stronger and improved.

We will need to make a jump from our preseason form to regular season mode if we are to win. I'm sure there will be a jump - will it be enough?

This. There is clearly going to be a massive step up in intensity from our last two matches against Freo and Melbourne to today's game. Are we ready to rumble?

We're ready. We will throw everything we have at them today. That is what we expect, to give every last ounce of energy to get the win. If they do that and fall short, then so be it.

I have so much energy already, going to be drained by full time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back