Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
probably the wrong thread,i wont lie i despise everything carlton but i had to come on somewhere and voice my disgust after the petrevski -seton
call on qtr time..i turned the game off in protest and switched over to NRL for the rest of the day after that disgraceful call..its unacceptable

It happens. Don't think it was a 'Carlton' thing but more so an umpire thing.
There's little for umpires to gain by not being impartial, but plenty to lose.

Anyway, that was last week and I just want our young guys showing as much as Fremantles.
Brayshaw, Logue, Cerra, Serong and Young, before injury, have been great this year. Would like to be getting the same output from our young guys.

Season on the line with this game. If we win we slightly stay in touch. Lose and it's a bottom 5 finish for the club imo.
I know it's good to be positive and hopeful but the season is gone ..we won't be playing finals this year ..I mean it would have to be unforeseeable turn around beyond all proportions for that to occur ..it won't happen ..loss to hawthorn proved we are not a finals ready side yet ..we just got keep grinding away and see improvement in these younger players who need to step up and take the next step ..we do have a chance tho against freo as we will be alot fresher than them having more rest in between games ..

I know it's good to be positive and hopeful but the season is gone ..we won't be playing finals this year ..I mean it would have to be unforeseeable turn around beyond all proportions for that to occur ..it won't happen ..loss to hawthorn proved we are not a finals ready side yet ..we just got keep grinding away and see improvement in these younger players who need to step up and take the next step ..we do have a chance tho against freo as we will be alot fresher than them having more rest in between games ..

Brisbane and Richmond lost to Hawthorn this year as well - are they also not ready to play finals football?

We're obviously up against it now when it comes to playing finals in 2020, but with 9 wins being enough to get us there, it's nowhere near as impossible as you suggest.

We've been in every game so far this year; and in many of those games we've dominated large periods.

Brisbane and Richmond lost to Hawthorn this year as well - are they also not ready to play finals football?

We're obviously up against it now when it comes to playing finals in 2020, but with 9 wins being enough to get us there, it's nowhere near as impossible as you suggest.

We've been in every game so far this year; and in many of those games we've dominated large periods.

problem is i dont think 9 wins will get anyone into finals. its looking like 8th will finish on 10wins

Thought Cottrell showed enough to get another game.
Hell yeah. He showed his pace a couple times. Unfortunately one of the biggest issues that plagues this team seems to be the midfields ability to keep up the pressure. Players like Kennedy dominate for 2 and a half quarters and then disappear as the opposing teams start getting it out of the stoppage too easily. Then the outside mids disappear. Defense seriously cannot keep up with how piss our defensive structures are late in games. I don't know if our mids cheat forward of their opposing men or just run out of steam but it's been the biggest issue all season. I singled Kennedy out but they're all doing it.

As a result our enlightened supporter base start slagging off players like Sps who are brilliant when our midfield offers a modicum of resistance and can't do anything about the avalanche when the mids disappear...

I also believe pitto doesn't do enough to slow the exit of the ball out of stoppages when we're on the back foot. Tdk did that much better. Get a tap down that's closer to the ruck mens feet so that they can collapse down and slow the opposing momentum.

In saying that my changes pending injuries

Out: Pittonet, Martin (injured), gibbons

Betts may not be scoring goals but his forward pressure is way higher than Gibbons and its creating goals for others. With Gibbons out Newnes can play his role.

In: Mckay/McGovern whichever is fit, Dow, Marchbank

I'd play Marchbank as a defensive winger and Murphy as the offensive winger, Newnes into Gibbons slot, Mckay deep forward and Casboult the relief ruck. Get Dow rotating on ball and Kennedy more time in the f50.

The difference is, we needed to beat Hawthorn to stay in contention. It was a massive game in the context of our season, and we choked. Just like we did against Melbourne and Saints.

9 wins (and an average percentage) isn't getting you into finals.

The difference is, we needed to beat Hawthorn to stay in contention. It was a massive game in the context of our season, and we choked. Just like we did against Melbourne and Saints.

And if we lose this week we'll be languishing in 14th. The only saving grace is those below us have a tough few weeks. Given our season that would be disappointing. We remain a mentally weak side.

Hawthorn was very different to the Melbourne and St Kilda games. We certainly choked against Hawthorn, we just didn't show up for the start of the Melbourne or St Kilda games and couldn't claw our way back when we eventually did.

We're still in contention if we even up the ledger against a side that we're not expected to beat.

9 wins has been enough to get you into finals over the past few years (factoring in a 17 round season), reckon it'll be enough this year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn was very different to the Melbourne and St Kilda games. We certainly choked against Hawthorn, we just didn't show up for the start of the Melbourne or St Kilda games and couldn't claw our way back when we eventually did.

We're still in contention if we even up the ledger against a side that we're not expected to beat.

9 wins has been enough to get you into finals over the past few years (factoring in a 17 round season), reckon it'll be enough this year as well.

The similarity was that there were important games in the context of our season, that we should have been able to win, but mentally we did not rock up.

Currently, from 10 games, Pies are 8th with 5.5 wins, Dees 9th with 5 and 109.9%
9 wins might get you in, but not with an average percentage as I said.

This is a massive game for our young midfielders. Kennedy, Setterfield and hopefully Dow to go up against Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong.

Kennedy and Setterfield have shown they can compete with the better mids for periods of games, but the grind gets to them, which is to be expected. But this game against some kids around their age and experience should show us a lot!

Been very impressed with the Freo kids. They are helped by some mature bodies in the right spots. Mundy and Fyfe/Walters when they play give them big protection in the midfield. But they are playing with confidence now and seem to run games our better than our kids.

Precision kicking into our forward line is essential. Freo have done an excellent job of covering their undermanned backline with pressure up the field, allowing undersized defenders to get more numbers to the long bombs into 50. If we move the ball fast and isolate these defenders like we did in the first half against Geelong, periods against Port and most of the game against the Dogs, we will go a long way towards winning.

The similarity was that there were important games in the context of our season, that we should have been able to win, but mentally we did not rock up.

Currently, from 10 games, Pies are 8th with 5.5 wins, Dees 9th with 5 and 109.9%
9 wins might get you in, but not with an average percentage as I said.

We should have beaten Hawthorn and we should never have given Melbourne as big a head start as we did, but I didn't expect to beat St Kilda.

We've had the discussion previously about what gets you into finals this year, wait and see.

People really thought we would play finals this year?

There was a time where we were sitting in a very good position to sneak into the 8, if we won the games we "should" have won from there on out.

But we've burnt winnable games and that chance is slipping.

I think it was more hope and optimism than confidence, but it certainly wasn't unreasonable after Round 8 when we were 4-4 with a positive percentage and what seemed to be a beneficial draw to come.

Last edited:
People really thought we would play finals this year?

At the start of the year no, but we definitely could have been. Hawthorn have won 1 game from the last 6 and we gave up a 5 goal lead to lose by 5 goals - win that and we are well in the hunt. After giving the Dee's a 7 goal start we had multiple good opportunities to win that game in the last and blew it, again win that game and we are in the hunt - win both and we are almost certainties.

There is certainly an element of wasting the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back