Preview Rnd 14 - Carlton v Collingwood Sunday 30th August 3.35PM @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sidebottom is still in Victoria for this game then we will be clear favourites despite being below them on the ladder. Their backline is probably at its weakest in 20 years and their forward lacks a damaging key forward. A big game and a great chance to end our losing streak against them.

Won’t return for 4-5 weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Huge game for the club.. will be a giant step to see just how far we have come.

playing 2 rucks against GC didn’t work, Pitto was a statue. So one of him or TDK need to come out. Tom has been amazing and doesn’t deserve to be dropped but my gut says Pitto is the better match up for Grundy.

I know I sound like a broken record but Polson to the backline SPS to the midfield must be close now. It’s time to release more run.......
We might as well. SPS needs to either move into the midfield or have a break

So we're all even at 6-6 and a percentage of 100.00 (756 for, 756 against).
However, while our opponents have kicked 113 goals 78, we've managed 108.108.

25 more scores!
And we've lost games by 1 and 3 points. What could have been.

We should beat the Filth (and the Giants, Swans, Crows). We should play finals. Hopefully we straighten up our shots.

The next two games are huge, they are both 8 point games as someone used to say, both GWS and Collingwood look shaky, realostcly there is only one spot in the 8 up for grabs, I think we are going to go close.

I think Polson in for SPS SHOULD happen, but I don't think it will. I have a feeling the club continues to play SPS to maintain his trade value.

Otherwise, I think we'll go in with an unchanged line-up for the second time this year.
playing him down back is doing nothing for his trade value. He has real talent and it is very frustrating to see him wasted in the back.

playing him down back is doing nothing for his trade value. He has real talent and it is very frustrating to see him wasted in the back.

I don't see that the talent would necessarily be wasted, if he was fronting up with games that showcase it and make us better, but for now he's a quality player and a #5 pick, that has a game a rookie could emulate. That makes for a wasted resource.
I don't know what plans the CFC have for him and maybe he's happy playing that post, but if he isn't, I wouldn't blame him to be looking elsewhere.

Sorry for the repeat button, but we shall not be able to play all our mids through the midfield, so if some don't pick-up another trick to their game, it may be tough.

I would like to destroy their entire existence.
Thank you.

Probably no changes, Cottrell's ball use was often disappointing, but in terms of a replacement outside midfielder/wingman, his only competition is O'Brien, who hasn't exactly been lighting it up.
But was first emergency

Cottrell is a tough call, he hasn't kicked the ball well but from what I have heard he is supposed to be a good kick. His run and aggression is good but he's definitely not the finished product. He's a wing/flanker with speed and endurance so Kennedy is not a like for like. Cottrell could play in defence is another option I don't mind. I like how he goes about his footy but just want to see his kicking tidy up.

SPS has been mediocre for most of the season but was shocking against the Suns. My patience there is about worn thin. I think he needs to work on his weaknesses in the scratch matches and earn his spot back. I like his ball use but I just feel that we are setting standards with our effort and physicality, I know that's a non-negotiable if you want to win a flag and he is miles behind in this area.

Polson is the most likely straight swap for a small defender. Just not sure Polson isn't too small for a defensive role in the backline at AFL level though I feel good sides would exploit a player this small.

The other one who needs to be considered is Marchbank. He's a quality defender and a great runner. I don't think he would make us too tall but I would like to see it. I think at this stage Marchbank offers more than SPS though Marchbank is a suspect kick. It's a tough call.

I think we need to make a change here.

Cuningham I feel won't come straight back. His form in regards to effort, attack on the contested and pressure acts was terrible and he wasn't kicking goals before he was injured. He'd have to be a chance but I think he comes back through the scratch matches.

Kennedy, he offers something but he's a little too mediocre. Not great on the ball, ok up forward. I just think we're too one paced with Cripps, Kennedy, Setterfield and Curnow. I don't think we are great with all of them in the team.

Dow, where is he at? I'd love to see him play soon, see what he has to offer. Is it more than Kennedy? Dow is a youngster who has had a hell of a lot to work on but age wise should be maturing. We probably don't have an injury or form lapse in an area he plays.

Two ruckmen, never a fan of that but do we leave just one of TDK or Pittonett against Grundy? I know Grundy would prefer we did as I can see the double team working in our favor again. This is a tough one for the selectors too. Would love TDK to stay in.

Collingwood are a great side but they are vulnerable at the moment. Lots of injuries and a weak forward line. They do however play defensive football a lot and that has proven to be our undoing at times. It will be a test of our maturity with how we handle that. I would be expecting a close game and winning this is about 50/50.
Great post but Collingwood a great side? Come on, Leyton.....

Cottrell is a tough call, he hasn't kicked the ball well but from what I have heard he is supposed to be a good kick. His run and aggression is good but he's definitely not the finished product. He's a wing/flanker with speed and endurance so Kennedy is not a like for like. Cottrell could play in defence is another option I don't mind. I like how he goes about his footy but just want to see his kicking tidy up.

SPS has been mediocre for most of the season but was shocking against the Suns. My patience there is about worn thin. I think he needs to work on his weaknesses in the scratch matches and earn his spot back. I like his ball use but I just feel that we are setting standards with our effort and physicality, I know that's a non-negotiable if you want to win a flag and he is miles behind in this area.

Polson is the most likely straight swap for a small defender. Just not sure Polson isn't too small for a defensive role in the backline at AFL level though I feel good sides would exploit a player this small.

The other one who needs to be considered is Marchbank. He's a quality defender and a great runner. I don't think he would make us too tall but I would like to see it. I think at this stage Marchbank offers more than SPS though Marchbank is a suspect kick. It's a tough call.

I think we need to make a change here.

Cuningham I feel won't come straight back. His form in regards to effort, attack on the contested and pressure acts was terrible and he wasn't kicking goals before he was injured. He'd have to be a chance but I think he comes back through the scratch matches.

Kennedy, he offers something but he's a little too mediocre. Not great on the ball, ok up forward. I just think we're too one paced with Cripps, Kennedy, Setterfield and Curnow. I don't think we are great with all of them in the team.

Dow, where is he at? I'd love to see him play soon, see what he has to offer. Is it more than Kennedy? Dow is a youngster who has had a hell of a lot to work on but age wise should be maturing. We probably don't have an injury or form lapse in an area he plays.

Two ruckmen, never a fan of that but do we leave just one of TDK or Pittonett against Grundy? I know Grundy would prefer we did as I can see the double team working in our favor again. This is a tough one for the selectors too. Would love TDK to stay in.

Collingwood are a great side but they are vulnerable at the moment. Lots of injuries and a weak forward line. They do however play defensive football a lot and that has proven to be our undoing at times. It will be a test of our maturity with how we handle that. I would be expecting a close game and winning this is about 50/50.
Sidebottom out. Treloar. Degoey.
Reid. Howe

4 of their best 7 missing. Reid best 18.

Never been a better opportunity.

Think Stephenson is out of form too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe for the sake of it. Evidence is important.

Last week was very important for us and there's no such thing as luck either, but when Newnes' kick went through, things changed.
If I was part of that group, it would have changed for me. The mood around the group so far from home, must have lifted the spirits of one and all.

Now we have the end in sight and we may yet find a way to lose, but there's nothing there to fear and everything to play for......just no covid dramas guys, please. Last thing we need right now, is controversy.

I think things changed for Newnes on a personal level too. Just had some swagger last night.

Think its given him extra confidence. He certainly played to a higher level last night.

The next two games are huge, they are both 8 point games as someone used to say, both GWS and Collingwood look shaky, realostcly there is only one spot in the 8 up for grabs, I think we are going to go close.
Agree entirely with your post but that is the worst spelling of realistically I have ever seen. 🤣

He's got "it".

Looks a footy player.

Disposal efficiency of our ball carriers needs to be rectified at selection or coached in the next 8 days
SPS 50% 10 possessions
Cottrell 46% 12 possessions
Newnes 56% 21 possessions

Newnes was great against GC. Cottrell is developing SPS is in a rutt.

Collingwood and GWS will sweat on errors, so we really need to bring in Cunners or consider O'brien

I don't believe for the sake of it. Evidence is important.

Last week was very important for us and there's no such thing as luck either, but when Newnes' kick went through, things changed.
If I was part of that group, it would have changed for me. The mood around the group so far from home, must have lifted the spirits of one and all.

Now we have the end in sight and we may yet find a way to lose, but there's nothing there to fear and everything to play for......just no covid dramas guys, please. Last thing we need right now, is controversy.
It is interesting the next few weeks will decide whether Carlton find a way to win or lose. Before Freo we found a way to lose more often than win......there is a sense we are on the cusp of turning that around-Collingwood game is our biggest match since 2013 elimination final

Sidebottom out. Treloar. Degoey.
Reid. Howe

4 of their best 7 missing. Reid best 18.

Never been a better opportunity.

Think Stephenson is out of form too.
We'll see how fit Pendles is. If ever there was a one player team.......all their leadership comes from one bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back