AFL Autopsy RND 15: Loss to the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Give Baldwin a run in Weeds position
If there is a silver lining to tonights debacle it is that Baldwin will surely get a go if he puts in another good performance tomorrow. I know he has settled back well in the VFL but he looks to have the mentality he will have a good crack wherever he plays and can actually mark with his hands on the lead.

Also, Parish was far from our worst on.

Laverde, BZT, Kelly and McGrath all beaten defensively all night.

Wright and Weed couldn't get near it. Need to play one of them through the ruck to bring them into the game if it's not working.
Perkins, Langford, Snelling and Durham were mia.

Our whole midfield was well down, and includes Zac who lifted in the second half a bit.

Only players that should be happy with their performance tonight would be Ridley, Hobbs, Menzie and Philips (some bad moments, but competed as well as could be hoped)

Plenty of individuals getting named and shamed in this thread tonight, but I think the most telling thing is that there are only three posts in our MVP thread and between the three there are 4 players named.

Seems like 19 blokes failed to perform.

Unfortunately it seems like we have to write off the week after the bye. Just nowhere near it all night save for 10 minutes at the start of the game.

Genuinely need to just have every single team have one week off, all at the same time. None of this staggered s**t. Even playing field
Might be worth looking into a scratchie with another team on a bye, if it's allowed. I bet it's allowed in WA.

We looked flat tonight and Freo were on. They got on top in the middle and their tall players outplayed ours everywhere.

I thought the Stringer non-mark followed immediately by a goal for them flattened us. That can happen over there but probably the biggest concern was the run on they got going without no response. That's a habit we don't want to be getting back into.

Eh not really. This is due to others around the mark slated to all play each other. I had us losing tonight and the three others you mentioned and had us in the top 8. Little short-sighted by you, should look over the predictor again.
It's very possible we lose our next 4. And Sydney and GWS away aren't going to be easy.

If there is a silver lining to tonights debacle it is that Baldwin will surely get a go if he puts in another good performance tomorrow. I know he has settled back well in the VFL but he looks to have the mentality he will have a good crack wherever he plays and can actually mark with his hands on the lead.
He could take Lav's spot. Lav been poor. Kelly was a very poor choice with the speed of Freo too.

It's very possible we lose our next 4. And Sydney and GWS away aren't going to be easy.

Can lose the next 3 and still make it. I'd give us a good crack at Dogs/GWS/Sydney.

Had a poor night (we're not the first) and Sydney played the Eagles. Still no upsets. Think you're jumping the shark a little too early mate.

Last edited:
Plenty of individuals getting named and shamed in this thread tonight, but I think the most telling thing is that there are only three posts in our MVP thread and between the three there are 4 players named.

Seems like 19 blokes failed to perform.
I'd say most underperformed tonight, yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be worth looking into a scratchie with another team on a bye, if it's allowed. I bet it's allowed in WA.
CBA requires a 5 day break, which I think our players had starting from Monday last week. Saturday we had open training at the Hangar with both the AFL and AFLW teams and snap and sign or whatever they were calling it, so everyone was back on deck then, but that was the first time they'd trained together since the Carlton game... so probably a bit tricky to do a scratch.

I think it's gotta be mental more than anything. The pressure comes off and everyone sorta relaxes and steps away from the game, goes for a quick holiday somewhere interstate and out of the bubble. And then it takes a while to get their head around it again.

Also, Parish was far from our worst on.

Laverde, BZT, Kelly and McGrath all beaten defensively all night.

Wright and Weed couldn't get near it. Need to play one of them through the ruck to bring them into the game if it's not working.
Perkins, Langford, Snelling and Durham were mia.

Our whole midfield was well down, and includes Zac who lifted in the second half a bit.

Only players that should be happy with their performance tonight would be Ridley, Hobbs, Menzie and Philips (some bad moments, but competed as well as could be hoped)
Hard for our defenders to shine with the lack of defensive pressure our midfield was putting on.

Agree on Wright, weid and Langford. The latter needs to work on his leading patterns to get separation from Wright. Durham and Perkins toiled through the night but were beaten (albeit with limited opportunities).

My frustration with Parish comes from games like this. Seems like he polarizes the fanbase like few others. My view on him changes (often from game to game). Highly talented, sometimes exquisite user of the ball, sometimes turnover merchant, sometimes match clearance beast, sometimes defensive liability.

He seems to have bought in more to the defensive gameplan than he did in his AA year but he seems the odd man out to me this year. Everyone else seems to have 100% bought in (Merrett exemplifies this).

Outside of martin for the tigs, the premiership teams of recent history have had a one man falls the next man comes in culture (ie structure based football).

If Parish can't buy in more to the gameplan (and i'm not saying he can't), it's hard to see us building a list to challenge for the flag with him being a centrepiece in our midfield

The stringer no mark two goal turn around was a tad annoying
For my whole life, there's something critical about a 4-goal margin. Often, it's the last hurrah of a team that is all but finished.

So when there's a poor decision that both puts you on the wrong side of the ledger and is a 2-goal swing...so ****ing annoying

He could take Lav's spot. Lav been poor. Kelly was a very poor choice with the speed of Freo too.
I wanted Baldwin to keep his spot and nothing's changed honestly. We already know what we've got with Laverde - good tryer, but a stop-gap option at best. Give Baldwin the chance to show if he can do any better.

I've said what I wanted to say about Parish tonight and don't want to get stuck into one player in particular, especially given Draper, Shiel and Setterfield were also missing. I will say though, that scores from CBs have been one of our strengths and tonight we got smashed out of the middle. I didn't see any evidence of any change of tact or thinking in there to turn the centre into the scrap it should have been. That should have been led by 5th and 6th year players. Merrett was great.

AFL Autopsy RND 15: Loss to the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back