Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to a training group of setters, gibbons, dow, newness, obrien. They should be told they are soft and don't tackle. Then train them against Cripps, curnow, kennedy, martin and silvagni. Keep getting the second group to dump the first group into the turf. Tackling session after tackling session. I wouldn't play any of gibbons, dow, setters or obrien until they tackle.
Make sure Robbie Walls is there watching and have the rest of the list in a big circle....

Hopefully the mentally weak dees of 2019 turn up after this unnatural interruption to the season. Like round 1, there are going to be sides who handle this well and others who dont. Definitely worried about our ability to handle it but Melbourne would be worried as well.

As for selection, personally i dont think round 1 has any bearing on selection. They'll pick the best 22 to play against melbourne based on needs and who is performing on the track/intra club hitouts. Dont think anyone would have an X next to their name based on their performance in round 1.

I suspect you may be right regarding Dow, the coaches must see something that I don’t yet see. I think he could be a good player in a year or two but he needs to improve disposal, doesn’t impact scoreboard enough to hold a spot as a forward and doesn’t impact enough contests to play in the middle yet. O’Brien is probably not ready yet but I really want someone with better disposal then Dow.

Harry is best 22 for mine but who do we remove up forward:
- Casboult - need him to cover in ruck and he is a Swiss Army knife so No
- McGovern - he is looking fit, didn’t do much Game 1 but not likely
- Silvagni - Score involvements, goals and utility so No
- Martin, Betts, Fisher - No, No, unlikely
- that leaves Dow, Newnes & Gibbons as possibles to come out in my eyes (Setterfield lucky?). I personally am not a fan of going in too big so went with Betts, O’Brien and Williamson but I could easily see the Selectors making one less change and doing this as well

Out: Kreuzer, Gibbons, Newnes
IN: Pittonet, Betts, McKay
I'd be happy with those changes.

In: Harry, Eddie and Pitto.
Out: Kreuz, Fish and Dow.

I’ve got Newman retaining his spot (he’s in full training now so should be ready to go). If he’s not fit, Williamson to come straight in.

I’ve got Fisher out because he’s not yet in full training so I think it’s very unlikely we risk him. If he’s ruled fit, I think he keeps his spot and one of Setters or Gibbo to go.

I am hesitant to drop Dow, mainly due to no VFL to develop in, but he can’t go on as a small forward. Doesn’t have the nous or skill to play close to goal. The kid strikes me as an out and out midfielder. The problem is that we’re only rotating a few through the middle (Cripps, Ed, Murph and Walsh) and he’s yet to show any indication that he’s better as a mid than those four.

I will be watching Setterfield very closely. I was very excited to hear that he’d been lighting up the track in pre-season but his performances in the pre-season games and round 1 left a lot to be desired. Will easily lose his spot if he doesn’t lift ASAP.

Think we’re a good chance in this one. We just need to iron out the start. We can’t keep giving teams 5 goal head starts. I want to be at least close to even at quarter time, nothing worse.

I don't have an issue with his nous, he seems to often find himself taking a mark alone 35m out from goal - the issue is he currently isn't taking those chances. In round 1 he got himself in the right spot where he should have kicked 2.

I think we all can see he has the makings of a very good player but the question becomes how do we best develop him with no VFL if he doesn't start taking his chances?

I don't have an issue with his nous, he seems to often find himself taking a mark alone 35m out from goal - the issue is he currently isn't taking those chances. In round 1 he got himself in the right spot where he should have kicked 2.

I think we all can see he has the makings of a very good player but the question becomes how do we best develop him with no VFL if he doesn't start taking his chances?
Yeah I agree that player development will be much more difficult this season without a second tier competition. We have mentioned Dow as an example but the same applies for any of our youngsters that aren’t playing seniors. How do we develop O’Brien, Williamson, Stocker, Philp, TDK etc without them playing games? The occasional 14 v 14 game against another club, which seems to be what the AFL has committed to, doesn’t compare with consistent VFL footy. Not much we can do about it given the situation.

I think the match committee will need to be careful about dropping players because there’s a real possibility they won’t play any games while out of the side. It means we can’t expect them to be in great touch if they are called upon later in the year.

Yeah I agree that player development will be much more difficult this season without a second tier competition. We have mentioned Dow as an example but the same applies for any of our youngsters that aren’t playing seniors. How do we develop O’Brien, Williamson, Stocker, Philp, TDK etc without them playing games? The occasional 14 v 14 game against another club, which seems to be what the AFL has committed to, doesn’t compare with consistent VFL footy. Not much we can do about it given the situation.

I think the match committee will need to be careful about dropping players because there’s a real possibility they won’t play any games while out of the side. It means we can’t expect them to be in great touch if they are called upon later in the year.

The major bonus is the club controls what they are doing and not the VFL affiliate (wasnt that a reason we wanted to move away from the Northern Blues?). A scratch match against other sides will be good enough and id dare say those who arent playing AFL will be doing a lot more work during the week and alot of touch work.

Cuningham & Williamson are the 2 biggest concerns in this area - missed a heap of footy through injury and can't really afford to not play at any level this year.

Cuningham & Williamson are the 2 biggest concerns in this area - missed a heap of footy through injury and can't really afford to not play at any level this year.

Cuningham I think has done enough to play AFL in round 2 anyway. I love Willo as much as anyone on here, but we can't afford to take any risks with him at all. One more breakdown for him with his back could end his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cuningham I think has done enough to play AFL in round 2 anyway. I love Willo as much as anyone on here, but we can't afford to take any risks with him at all. One more breakdown for him with his back could end his career.
Agree Cuningham plays round 2 - just meant as the year progresses we will likely need to persist even if his form drops off.

On Willo - I agree we shouldn't take risks but he hasn't missed a beat in a long time, I can't see any reason it would be a risk to give him significant game time this year. The last thing we want is him going into his 5th year in the system with just a handful of games under his belt since his 15 in his debut year.

I am not expecting him to rack up Cripps or Ed type numbers but I do expect more than 2 contested possessions and 1 tackle (especially when he isn't racking up the possessions either) if he is going to get a game over a Williamson, LOB, Fisher, or even a Dow. His advantage over those young players is supposedly a more mature body - if he isn't going to put it to use he can make way.

Newnes wasn't great against the Tigers, but he was hardly alone on that front. Expect his numbers to improve, but he's never been a hugely contested footballer.

His strengths lie elsewhere and what he brings is not just a mature body. He brings experience, leadership and maturity to a group crying out for all of the above. He brings the ability to drive the ball forward. He also brings great running power - I'd suggest his running patterns are currently far greater than any of the others you mentioned.

He may not play every game at senior level, but like Newman the year prior, we haven't brought him in to be playing in the reserves.

Newnes wasn't great against the Tigers, but he was hardly alone on that front. Expect his numbers to improve, but he's never been a hugely contested footballer.

His strengths lie elsewhere and what he brings is not just a mature body. He brings experience, leadership and maturity to a group crying out for all of the above. He brings the ability to drive the ball forward. He also brings great running power - I'd suggest his running patterns are currently far greater than any of the others you mentioned.

He may not play every game at senior level, but like Newman the year prior, we haven't brought him in to be playing in the reserves.

Newnes also wasn't great in the pre-season either.

Historically Newnes is about 2/3's uncontested 1/3 contested - adainst the Tigers he was 1/6 contested. He also averages 3 tackles a game and he laid 1 in round 1. To me it is these games against strong opponents with a mature list we need Newnes "experience, leadership and maturity" unfortunately he provided none of it.

We also bought Fasolo in for the same reasons you list for Newnes and look how that worked out.

Newnes also wasn't great in the pre-season either.

Historically Newnes is about 2/3's uncontested 1/3 contested - adainst the Tigers he was 1/6 contested. He also averages 3 tackles a game and he laid 1 in round 1. To me it is these games against strong opponents with a mature list we need Newnes "experience, leadership and maturity" unfortunately he provided none of it.

We also bought Fasolo in for the same reasons you list for Newnes and look how that worked out.

To be fair, i dont think anyone at Carlton was allowed to tackle - or so it seemed 🤦‍♂️

To me it is these games against strong opponents with a mature list we need Newnes "experience, leadership and maturity" unfortunately he provided none of it.

I'm not sure any of those traits are quantifiable, particularly to those not in the inner sanctum of the club.

We absolutely did not bring Fasolo to the club for leadership purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back