Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gallery from Thursday shows him with ball in hand in what looked like a contact drill, probably not full contact, though. We haven't had an update from Russell in the last week, so this debate may be moot, but given the image I am optimistic that he will be ready for Hawthorn.

I just really like Cunners. He's a beautiful player to watch.

I LOVE the guy and think it’s cruel that he was laid low by his bloody kidneys or abdomen or whatever.

As you say - point may be moot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think I’m with Soapy in that I wouldn’t change the team given we won and we looked balanced.

The problem is that if Cas has a complete shocker or Polson goes unsighted then there will be some yelling and screaming from the cheap seats. But you do have to reward the guys who put left their blood, sweat and tears on the park.

I do though think that Charlie, Cuners and Will makes us a three to five goal better team when in form.

We also have to consider balance not just the names. People keep mentioning Charlie for Casboult which is harsh IMO.

Who Rucks? McKay? Good 2nd ruck but do you want to take him away from what he did today and tire him out? Plus I thought Jack was good as well

Willo is a gun but a defender. Our defence is awesome. Coming back from very bad injury after more than 12 months out. Patience. Schumacher has been playing well and was emergency today

Cuningham started season well and I rate him highly but has missed a month. He would be an option but it’s a big call

Kennedy must be close

Stocker developing well but don’t see need to rush him

It just not as simple as taking out one name and bringing in another

After such a good win I reckon you need to reward the team

Last edited:
In: Curnow + Williamson
Out: LOB + Polson

Backs: Newman, Jones, Plowman

Half Backs: Simpson, Weitering, Williamson

Centers: Fisher , SPS, Walsh

Half Forward: Gibbons, Curnow, E Curnow

Forward: McGovern, McKay, Murphy

Followers: Kruezer, Dow, Cripps

Int: Silvagni, Thomas, Levi, Marchbank

If we feel a little too tall in the back half, Marchbank I would consider dropping first.
Too tall in the forward half, Levi would probably go, even though he had a ripper game.
If Cunningham is up and ready, I would consider dropping Levi for him as well.

Kreuzer was significant today great inside impact, huge work rate.
He won’t have it all his way against the Hawks their Ruckman are a different proposition. It would be great if Curnow & Kennedy would ready to go .
It will be a real slog but with the positive momentum we’re in with a great chance.

PS Do people really expect Williamson to come in next week???? He's a minimum 2-3 weeks away

You'd think so. Not fitness ready.

However, Cunningham has to play if recovered. And Gibbons did plenty enough today in his midfield minutes to stay in. Not so much tagging, but fine work repeatedly killing what looked like opposition clearances and contested wins - which is just as important as winning them. It's something Cripps has had to do in the past with only light bodies around him.

So if Curnow C and Cunningham are both available, reality is two players get dropped.

I would only make 1 change, Polson out for Cuningham providing he is fit. I think Polson just needs a run of finding the footy, and some development with the small forward gig at the lower level.

I think it is too soon to bring in Williamson (I am guessing has only played 1 game in over 1 year?), and don’t think we should rush Curnow either. Levi will be needed to rotate between Forward and Ruck.

Not sure where Kennedy fits in right now, he may need to find another string to his bow to cement a best 22 spot.

Not IMO.

It's the sum of all parts and the combinations and roles. Form and wins dictate not names or reputations

PS Do people really expect Williamson to come in next week???? He's a minimum 2-3 weeks away
Williamson and Cuningham may not be ready - they would be my next ins apart from Charlie earning his spot back. Happy to wait for Russell to give them the OK to play AFL.
Just because we won well doesn't protect anyone from being dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where Kennedy fits in right now, he may need to find another string to his bow to cement a best 22 spot.

I think the game Gibson played today makes it harder for Kennedy. Guy is strong in the engine room, and while not providing the exact type of support for Cripps people have been championing Kennedy's recall for, Gibbons was very good at the coalface today by killing opposition clearances and contested wins.

Guy is strong and focused.

Unless the likes of Charlie & Kennedy are full fit, I wouldn't risk them. I would give the likes of Willo another VFL game and Cuners to come back through the VFL as well
Agree certainly won’t rush Curnow, Kennedy or Cunners nor Willo these players will make a considerable difference once they’re ready to go.

I think the game Gibson played today makes it harder for Kennedy. Guy is strong in the engine room, and while not providing the exact type of support for Cripps people have been championing Kennedy's recall for, Gibbons was very good at the coalface today by killing opposition clearances and contested wins.

I tend to agree, he is a different dynamic to Kennedy and significantly different to Cripps. If we are going to add support for Cripps then the player needs to have a few other weapons, at the moment Kennedy is a little bit 1 dimensional. I really like the idea of C Curnow being a pinch hit mid for this reason, a few centre bounces a game to help out and would also gets his hands on the footy on dirty days up forward.

OK fine... bloody peer group pressure... if they’re fit and Willo recovered well and Kennedy was only winded then -

LOB, Polson

Kennedy, Willo.

If Cuners is fit (not convinced) then him over Kennedy.

One of the commentators said that LOB and Murphy were doing a job on Hunter.

Hunter didn't get much of the ball and wasn't damaging with it when he had it.

LOB could have been instructed to play a defensive role today. Who knows. Point being, if this is the case, I'd be happy to keep him in.

One of the commentators said that LOB and Murphy were doing a job on Hunter.

Hunter didn't get much of the ball and wasn't damaging with it when he had it.

LOB could have been instructed to play a defensive role today. Who knows. Point being, if this is the case, I'd be happy to keep him in.

Fair enough. I know it’s not all just about disposals.

I’d like to see only 1 change for this game; Kennedy or Willo for LOB.
Not overly concerned if CC doesn’t get up as CAS was very good today.
I don’t understand these calls for Kennedy. There is literally no role for him. None. Team structure is very clear. Very clear.

Mid 7: Crippa SPS Dow the main centre square guys. Sometimes Walsh. Fish. Wings are Murph Walsh LoB rotating with Walsh sometimes middle. The odd forward (see below) fills in.

Forwards who get a go in middle occasionally: maybe Gibbo. Maybe Ed. But only for a rest. Kennedy isn’t playing any of these forward roles.

The only present weakness in output is LOb. Outside wing. Defensive wing. Kennedy is NOT playing that role. Willo maybe.

Kennedy zERO chance this week. Trust me.

I don’t understand these calls for Kennedy. There is literally no role for him. None. Team structure is very clear. Very clear.

Mid 7: Crippa SPS Dow the main centre square guys. Sometimes Walsh. Fish. Wings are Murph Walsh LoB rotating with Walsh sometimes middle. The odd forward (see below) fills in.

Forwards who get a go in middle occasionally: maybe Gibbo. Maybe Ed. But only for a rest. Kennedy isn’t playing any of these forward roles.

The only present weakness in output is LOb. Outside wing. Defensive wing. Kennedy is NOT playing that role. Willo maybe.

I agree, there isn't a role for him this week. Cuningham into the team only exacerbates this as he will also get some centre square starts. Also expecting to see a much more vigorous Setterfield post-suspension and post-stint in the VFL.

Wouldn't say zero. Hawthorn will have big bodies around the ball. Kennedy could provide additional support.

But yes, structures and personnel need to be considered.

Gibbons game today was sensational. He made a massive difference in our transitional play. Kennedy can’t do that. Gibbo a mile in front of him.

A player for consideration across half forward is Darcy Lang.

Hopefully he has a good week on the training track :)

We don’t have a lot of pure speed around the ball but by Lord do we have running ability. I’d love to see Gibbo Ed Walsh and Murph in a 4 x 800 at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back