Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Sydney Saturday 29th April 2.10PM @ MCG - Team post #802

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What had JGM shown you that warrants this? In my opinion, he has not shown that much in VFL at all. And with the depth of defenders in the squad, cannot see him back in 2018.
Looked all right on the weekend till the smashed jaw. Has size, can run, but would agree A Silvagni a better choice for Sydney if Macreadie does not get up.

I would prefer Kerridge to Thomas. 31 touches and a goal on the weekend. Young and more upside. But I think the MC will back you:oops:.

Yeah, dunno.

This week will be the most interesting selection week since round one.

It's the first time we've been blown out of the water.
Young 'uns looking tired.
Bit of outside noise about too many kids too soon.
Some good form of a number of players in the magoos.
Will they bring Thomas back straight away?
Will they play two rucks?

Sydney aren't going that well, they're last. Play the younger players, I would rest the young players against sides like Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Geelong (maybe), GWS and the Bulldogs.

B: Plowman Rowe White
HB: Docherty Marchbank Williamson
C: Simpson Cripps Gibbs
HF: Curnow Weitering Fisher
F: Silvagni Casboult Wright
OB: Kreuzer Murphy Curnow
IC: Petrevsk-Seton Polson Macreadie Thomas
EM: Smedts Kerridge Pickett

OUT
Pickett - Needs to get hands on the footy, all fine with developing players in the AFL but they can't have too many quiet games. A Big game in the VFL with good midfield time is on the cards.
Phillips- Underdone.

IN
Kreuzer - Obvious, career best fitness and form.
Thomas - Like it or not he's probably in our best side. Still offers us something.

No, he really doesn't.

We'll hopefully get Kreuzer back this week, but I doubt it'll be at the expense of Phillips.

We've played 2 rucks together almost exclusively when possible, and I reckon we'll see that continue for much of this season.

If Macreadie needs a rest it wouldn't surprise should he be replaced by Krooz.

If we're resting SPS, Kerridge or Smedts are the logical options to replace him.

I think we've got a chance this week. Changes need to be made though.

1. Weitering needs to go back. He needs the ball in his hands to continue development and that means putting him back. Plus it helps our defence with Sydney's key forwards and it just so happens Macreadie needs a rest. Jaksch gets a run over McKay due to potential weather and seems to be getting to more contests than McKay

2. Kreuzer back in for obvious reasons, Phillips is absolutely underdone.

OUT: Macreadie, Phillips
IN: Kreuzer, Jaksch

Side:
FB: Plowman Marchbank Weitering
HB: Docherty Rowe Simpson

R: Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
C: Williamson Gibbs Petrevski-Seton

HF: Wright Casboult Pickett
FF: Silvagni Jaksch C.Curnow

Int: White E.Curnow Polson Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's this stat from? Thought I saw him at ~70% disposal efficiency post game, making this statistically impossible.

AFL app - head to the Carlton v Port match -> Stats -> Player Stats -> C. Curnow

Disposal efficiency was at 63% I think. I believe the discrepancy would be that long kicks (40m?) to contests don't count as "ineffective disposals" even if an opposition player ends up with the ball.

End result is that only 6 of his 19 possessions ended up in the hands of a Carlton player, 13 of them ended up in a Port player's possession.

At the end of the day - if the coaching group is happy for him to put up similar performances in the hope that he steadily improves, so be it. Personally, I'd be happier to see him deep in our forward line, pushing up occasionally onto a wing. Mentioned in my post-match write-up of the Gold Coast game that he offered a lot of unrewarded leads, and that these actually created space for other forwards to drop into, resulting in marks and shots on goal. If he can provide that sort of sustained work rate, and snag a couple of goals himself, then I think we come out ahead and he builds some confidence. If we persist with playing him all over the ground, and he continues to turn the ball over - how long before he starts second-guessing himself and his ability?

Yeah, dunno.

This week will be the most interesting selection week since round one.

It's the first time we've been blown out of the water.
Young 'uns looking tired.
Bit of outside noise about too many kids too soon.
Some good form of a number of players in the magoos.
Will they bring Thomas back straight away?
Will they play two rucks?
Have a look at our average tackles per match per player. Thomas is second last on that list only ahead of our KPF Weitering. Even the kids apply defensive pressure with SPS oe of the best for this. Think Cuningham, Kerridge or Graham offer more.

Two rucks in the wet on Saturday against the Swans would be a disaster?

Think we need some more run, would go with something like

Out Macreadie, Phillips, White, SPS (if inj)
On Kruezer, Cuningham, Buckley, Smedts

Bucks in to release Doc into the middle.
If Murph misses then Kerridge

I like Charlie as a lead up forward so would be inclined to send Weiters back initially.

Our midfield needs more help, so i'd have Smedts and Kerridge in before Cuningham at this point...i think they'll offer more and are still young enough to make it long term. Both had better games than Cuningham anyway.

The midfield getting smashed and barely any I50's also means the development of Weitering, SOSOS, Charlie & Pickett gets stalled since they dont get many opportunities...so we need a balanced approach.

Changes i'd like to see:

OUT: Phillips (omitted - looked underdone), Macreadie (rest), SPS (rest)
IN: Kreuz, Kerridge, Smedts
If Gibbs or Murphy miss i'd then include Graham to reward his good form of late.

This would make us much stronger around the ball, in stoppages and in the midfield transition in general.

I'm sure lots will disagree since none of my IN'S are kids, but this would help us get more quality I50's, which will hopefully equate to some goals and a more positive showing from Weitering, SOSOS, Charlie & Pickett which would make it well worth it.

Oh and it will also give us a better chance of actually winning since Sydney aren't that great, and a win will do wonders for the confidence of the young guys.

Have a look at our average tackles per match per player. Thomas is second last on that list only ahead of our KPF Weitering. Even the kids apply defensive pressure with SPS oe of the best for this. Think Cuningham, Kerridge or Graham offer more.

Two rucks in the wet on Saturday against the Swans would be a disaster?

Keep in mind that Daisy might be under instruction to position himself wide of the play to be used as an offensive link-up. Easier to tell Polson/Fisher/SPS to stick to their man and apply pressure, and then have the more experienced Thomas positioning himself in space. That would certainly account for a lower tackle tally, and makes sense given what I've seen of him this year.

Kreuzer for Phillips......................no brainer.

White for Sheehan or Byrne..........but they're both injured, so that won't happen unless we care to go shorter and faster....which I don't think we will.

Macreadie unlikely.......................so Smedts.

Cuningham for Petrevski-Seton.....simple enough

Murphy???? Murphy for................Graham, if Murphy injured.

Others? Can't see us making more than 4 changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back