Cars & Transportation Road signs - they're awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, I'm not a loony or a whacky. But put this down to one of those things that I like but I'm not sure if anyone else does. Thankfully, I've discovered a few like-minded people on the internet and stumbled across this awesome site documenting the history of road signs in Australia (mostly Vic) - http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/signspotters/

For some reason, I've always had a fascination with road signs and street name signs since I was about 5 or 6. Maybe it was their reflectiveness that attracted me. Yet I was always drawn to the obscurities, the differences between various signs, perhaps the ones that highlighted the incompetence of Vicroads in updating the necessary indicators. Having been to a fair few places around the state I always try and keep a keen eye out on different signs.

Not until now did I know that people actually share this hobby and take photos. Sort of cool and quirky. I have an urge to go out around my local town this afternoon and take photos of all the different street name signs because I know a few of the older, less-reflective ones gradually get replaced. I like the lack of uniformity and hopefully I can preserve some of it! Shame it looks like it's about to piss rain outside soon though.

Does anyone else have any fascination with these signs? Any particularly funny or quirky ones in your area? Surely one person in the entire GD brethren can relate. :thumbsu:

I thought this would be one of those funny sign websites with signs for towns called 'Dildo' or something, but it's just regular road signs? To each his own, but you've lost me here. <3

It's okay. We all have meticulous hobbies. Mine are footy jumpers and street signs. The funny sign websites are pretty good, but they do get a bit stale after time :D

Train station signs are also pretty awesome. There aren't many of the old style "name" signs around, (white rectangle with serif font and maroon and blue border), they've since been replaced state-wide with V/Line or Metlink/Viclink signs.

I'm sort of hoping this thread can develop a cult status like that awesome Victorian Railways thread we had last year. ;)

fwiw people who think signs with town names such as dildo or fanny are funny should be culled imo

I always critique signs that display closed lanes ahead for their accuracy and balance. ie if its a 4 lane road with 1 lane closed, but the sign only has 1 lane closed and 2 lanes open it displeases me.

But then I appreciate the fact that the sign can still send the correct message despite being technically incorrect

lots o fun

i also share your facination with road signs.

don't know what it is, but they're neat

also, there is a small town outside ballarat called blowhard - lol'ed the first time i drove through there

i also share your facination with road signs.

don't know what it is, but they're neat

also, there is a small town outside ballarat called blowhard - lol'ed the first time i drove through there
Geez, you'd almost want to be pulled over by the local cop so you could say 'Mate you're such a blowhard'.

fwiw people who think signs with town names such as dildo or fanny are funny should be culled imo

Oh come on!

1175601477_65a13a4945_z.jpg

It works on so many levels!

Interesting hobby choice.

I get weirdly transfixed by railway systems. Like the massive sprawl of railway lines coming out of Flinder St station and near the MCG, and Grand Central in New York where I spent hours just walking around looking at it all.

pr0n:

imagesCAPXZTAX.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting hobby choice.

I get weirdly transfixed by railway systems. Like the massive sprawl of railway lines coming out of Flinder St station and near the MCG, and Grand Central in New York where I spent hours just walking around looking at it all.

pr0n:

View attachment 3372

me too :thumbsu:

i have weird hobbies..

roads are another hobby of mine. i love driving new and different roads

Is that the entrance to Adelaide?

Little town in Norway. It's on the junction of a branch line from memory. Go down the branch collect passengers at the end of the branch, return and continue.

To Hell and Back.

I agree, what about when you see a dirt road off track and you sort of want to explore where it goes... that's why I like it out in the Otways
I love trying to get from point A to b using nothing but dirt roads. You find some awesome things.

Once found an abandoned Neptune service station complete with pumps out the front. The road was once a main road but had been made redundant by a new one.

I always critique signs that display closed lanes ahead for their accuracy and balance. ie if its a 4 lane road with 1 lane closed, but the sign only has 1 lane closed and 2 lanes open it displeases me.

But then I appreciate the fact that the sign can still send the correct message despite being technically incorrect

lots o fun

ROFL....this from a ...Carlton supporter?:D

Thought this thread was about stealing road signs and equipment, became disappointed when I realised it wasn't.

I'm sort of hoping this thread can develop a cult status like that awesome Victorian Railways thread we had last year. ;)

Was a great thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back