Robbie Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

True that. Has a bit of a bball background. I remember he did a bit of a behind the back dribble before snapping a goal on the run once?
Certainly did, a week or two ago he even bounced it around players.

Love nothing more than guys who can evade tackles and escape packs. He's not doing it with brute strength or speed like a Dangerfield, or size like Fyfe, that's where I enjoy him most.

His set shots have deteriorated as he got better in the midfield, he was a lock usually.

Will go close to the Brownlow if he keeps up this form. His instinctual control of the ball is incredible.

Would of loved to of seen him in Port flag era.

Cornes
Francou
The Burgoynes
The little s**t Carr
Picket
Wanganeen

Gray would of been the cream on the cake

It's game-by-game voting, not an overall MVP award. Explains a lot about the vote totals and results that come from it.
How come we change everything else about the game at the drop of a hat but still leave umpires solely in charge of the games most decorated individual award... baffling

So more like a Sam Mitchell, Robert Harvey type then?
Think he is quite different to those 2. Mitchell was an out the back accumulator who could deliver with precision, Harvey a hard running accumulator who just out run his opponents. Gray plays mainly forward, has sublime in close silks and is a match winner with his marking and goal kicking as a forward.

Think he is quite different to those 2. Mitchell was an out the back accumulator who could deliver with precision, Harvey a hard running accumulator who just out run his opponents. Gray plays mainly forward, has sublime in close silks and is a match winner with his marking and goal kicking as a forward.

Out the back? Maybe in his last two years, but he was a clearance king for the decade before that.

2003 - 3rd for clearances
2004 - 5th
2005 - 16th (only 14 games)
2006 - 3rd
2007 - 5th
2008 - 1st
2009 - 10th
2010 - 13th
2011 - 11th
2012 - =4th
2013 - Outside top 20
2014 - Outside top 20
2015 - 17th
2016 - 19th
2017 - Outside top 20

But I agree that Gray is far different to both Mitchell and Harvey. They were not goalkickers for one.

He's reminds me more of Paul Chapman or Jason Akermanis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a pleasure watching him each week. Honestly thought he'd struggle this season after undergoing chemo in the offseason but the bloke is just a freak. Thought the same after his ACL but that's when he really blossomed. One of the best footy brains you'll see.

How come we change everything else about the game at the drop of a hat but still leave umpires solely in charge of the games most decorated individual award... baffling

What other parties not aligned to a club should be judging the award on a game-by-game voting basis instead?

The old 20 poss and 3 goals threshold.

Thanks to Twitter @ sirswampthing

Games with 20+ disp & 3+ goals 2014-18
1x 84 players
2x 38 players
3x 24 players
4x 10 players
5x 8 players
6x 7 players
7x 3 players
8x 4 players
9x 3 players
10x Greene
11x Gunston, NRiewoldt
12x Lynch (ADEL)
13x Dangerfield, Franklin
14x
15x ROBBIE GRAY

(Note that Lethal Leigh Matthews, Kevin Bartlett and Wayne Carey dominate this achievement historically in VFL/AFL - at least 60 times each)

What other parties not aligned to a club should be judging the award on a game-by-game voting basis instead?
Should be a panel of past players voting as well as the umpires in my book.. or are you happy with an award that never recognizes KPF's, KPD's or Ruckmen? true match winners have been overlooked for vanilla midfield stat rackers in recent history it's ridiculous.

Should be a panel of past players voting as well as the umpires in my book.. or are you happy with an award that never recognizes KPF's, KPD's or Ruckmen? true match winners have been overlooked for vanilla midfield stat rackers in recent history it's ridiculous.

As I said earlier, the 3-2-1 voting system heavily influences the results. People don't think on a game-by-game basis though, they just think about the overall best player, hence why the results may appear "wrong".

As I said earlier, the 3-2-1 voting system heavily influences the results. People don't think on a game-by-game basis though, they just think about the overall best player, hence why the results may appear "wrong".
TBH if we didnt make the couches votes public and used them, I dont think we would have many complaints

The results are not wrong if you call it the midfield medal I guess

Great player. Dynamic. lol at all the clueless morons doubting Gray. They belong in his chamber room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back