Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

Remove this Banner Ad

While clearly written by someone with no knowledge of depression, mental illnesses or football - certain individuals have used such crutches before to shield themselves from the media...

Cough, Gary Lyon, cough, cough.........

Not sure this was the correct target for this issue...

I'm still gobsmacked that Robbo thought it was a good idea to in the same breath follow up his commentary about how good and enlightened it was that a woman could take her partner to the B&F with a comment that the winners kiss would be turning all the guys on

I forgot about that one.

Perhaps he needs a week off to rethink things.

I'm absolutely livid about this tweet and I'm not even a pies supporter.

It is just so dangerous. Less than 24 hours before this tweet, Fasolos team mate Taylor Adam's was on the footy show explaining the issue Fasolo faces including the negative affect social media criticism has had on him.

So what does Robbo do? He jumps on social media to criticise him the VERY ******* THING THAT HAS CONTRIBUTED TO FASOLOS DEPRESSION

Its so incredibly dangerous, callus and ignorant. That's before you look at the affect it will have on people outside of just Fasolo. What if you're a young man currently suffering from depression or anxiety not seeking help and you read that s**t. To mention drugs as well FMD one of the big issues with mental health is self medicating.

But you know what the worst part of it all. He won't be held to account. Hes free to criticise everyone from the AFL to the clubs to the players and even the fans about behaviour and morality, but he will never be held to the same standard he holds others to.

Chances of someone else going to town on him in the media. Next to none. ******* boys club

Not only that, he'll definitely talk about it in the media in future about how it's a real issue in sport, and how we need to respect mental illness, yadda yadda and become a complete hypocrite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at work 2 days after a suicide attempt because I couldn't afford to get fired. Sometimes you just find a way to push yourself through despite every inch of you wanting it to run away. Fasolo is doing great by getting out of bed and going for a run with his mates despite what is going on in his head and he should be proud of it.

So Robbo * you apology not accepted you ignorant old moron.

I don't get why they need to publicise it to the world. Why not just say X player is having back issues or something and leave it at that.
Important to get the old fashioned stigma of depression/mental illness removed, so it is quite a bold step in some ways. In addition, you remove 'some' of the speculation that goes with indefinite time injuries. Harley Bennells 80 week calf injury is a good counter case...

Depression doesn’t discriminate. It knows no boundaries. Young, old, rich, poor, fat, thin, beautiful, ugly, popular, nerd, loved, lonely- depression doesn’t see a difference and affects all kinds of people.
The thing for me is....

If someone has depression, does that mean they are not allowed to kick a football at training?

I don't quite get what Robbo even meant.

Important to get the old fashioned stigma of depression/mental illness removed, so it is quite a bold step in some ways. In addition, you remove 'some' of the speculation that goes with indefinite time injuries. Harley Bennells 80 week calf injury is a good counter case...

It's old hat now though. And it doesn't sound like he's going to miss a lot of time.

What you don't need when dealing with depression is having a massive spotlight put on you when dealing with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back