Robbo on SEN- Dogs should get Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on SEN, Mark Robinson suggested that we should go after Ben Cousins. Good idea or terrible idea?

Terrible idea.

Our midfield is great as it is. Our need is for taller key position players. IMO it would be folly to soak up our salary cap on Cousins when we don't even need him.

Robinson does say some garbage from time to time.

Okay, hypothetically imagine he gets over his drugs problem and the AFL allow him to register for the draft.

What round draft pick would he go?

When would the first AFL club actually draft him? What round pick or what number pick would he go?

My theory is, that if he put himself in the draft he wouldn't last until the 3rd round. Meaning we would have to take him with our second round pick.

So we lose our first round pick with the father son(Cordy) and use our second pick on Cousins. So our first live pick would be at pick 40 or something :thumbsdown:

IMO a really dumb strategy, for a player who has only a few years left, is no certainty of keeping out of trouble, and doesn't fit a type of player that we need.

Better to keep drafting new talent to the club. I never want us to go down the road that St Kilda did and boost up on recyled players every year.

Yes. If we can pick him up in the pre-season draft, he is on a average salary and we have a get out cause in it. He would make our midfeild even more awesome and add to our list of goal kickers.

This opinion is only valid if we don't win the flag, as if we do win it then we don't need his talent.

In the last 2 years, we've traded for 3 players over 29yo, each of whom have addressed structural weaknesses in the list. With that in mind, I don't think we should go after another player on the wrong side of 30, and one who will only add to the depth of an already well-serviced area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys I am from Perth and we do not want him at all. I saw the way he acted and heard of things that he did and we do not want that at our club. We have been lucky in the past that our leaders have all been good quality people. I heard Parkin a couple of years back say you do not see the Doggies getting in much trouble off field as there leaders in Grant, Darcy, Johnno, West, Smith all are quality people who lead as normal life as they can. This filters down to our younger players which are now the same Hahn, Murphy, Gia, and even now Cooooney. We do not need that distraction.
Go Doggies

We simply wouldn't have a chance of picking him up anyway.

Our first pick will most likely be on Ayce, then our second round pick would be mid 30's, if a team wants him, they'll most likely need to use a second round pick, or pre season draft where's we will be 13th to 16th in line.

Just won't happen, no point thinking about it either way.

Am i the only person who finds it odd that EVERY old age player being shopped around, regardless of their position gets associated with the Dogs?

Why would we need ANOTHER hard-running midfielder? Throw Higgins and West in the mix and we already have too many. And most of the ones we have are young.

Add to that the very real issue of us not having enough spaces on our list as it is. Name 5 people we are going to delist this year for the new draftees (ignoring those we want to elevate off the rookie list). It's hard.

This would be a bad decision. We can't afford the space on our list for what he adds.

If the Bulldogs take Cousins, I am not renewing my membership next year.

we dont need member like you then, if your not gonna stick by the club no matter what.

if the club feels that they should take any player or not take any player for what ever reason then that good enough.

if Eade and Clayton thinks that getting Cousins will better our chances at winning a Flag, then its up to them.

Dont underestimate the value of a GUN player in the team, in any position. I was initially dubious of spending money and a 2nd rounder on aker, simply because he was old and thought the cash/pick could be better spent on addressing a deficiency, rather than a midfielder/small forward - areas we have good depth in. But Aker is GUN, who can change games off his own efforts. He was worth it. So is Cousins.

Adding him to the midfield rotation would significantly improve our chances of a premiership over the next 2 years. Think about that.

You would presume even someone as stupid as him would be a good boy for 2 years at another club to restore some of his reputation. but despite his WA offfield habits, he gave 110% on the field.

Id say yes on the proviso that a) he came cheap in terms of cash and draft picks. i.e. late second rounder maximum and say $300K due to damaged goods status. and b) the coaching panel was convinced we were aiming full tilt for a premiership in 09 and/or 10

no doubt he is a gun - even with the time spent out of the game would make an immediate impact. But what about the perception of the club by sponsers? Not all would want to be associated with a player who has had such a tainted past . I would also be concerned about team unity with aker quite outspoken against drug use amongst footballers . Too much baggage and too many question marks - plus our midfield is going OK currently - pass .

We don't need him our midfield is improving without him. We need to draft well this year with Gold Coast and W.Sydney taking alot of high picks in the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back