Robelinda

Remove this Banner Ad

Bareth Garry

Senior List
Jan 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Cricket Australia doing this is a disgrace. There's a trove of hidden gold sitting in the archives that they and their commercial partners keep locked away. It's thanks to Rob recording games onto VHS for forty years and sharing them online for free that the younger generation gets to learn about the game's past, and the older generation (including ex players) can relive fond memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hoping this paves the way for more collaboration between robelinda2 and CA. He's one million times the custodian of footage as the official channel which slaps shitty music over the highlights and doesn't seem to get that starting a delivery from when the ball leaves the bowlers hand makes it impossible to appreciate a cricket highlight.

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
Your Wi-Fi
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Hoping this paves the way for more collaboration between robelinda2 and CA. He's one million times the custodian of footage as the official channel which slaps shitty music over the highlights and doesn't seem to get that starting a delivery from when the ball leaves the bowlers hand makes it impossible to appreciate a cricket highlight.
My parents' neighbour does a similar job for an AFL club. It's highly controlled, fits in with a highly developed marketing strategy, and the numbers they get on what is generally pretty dull content shows ridiculously high engagement.

So considering he's doing it for free, they don't need to bring him inside the tent, plus I can't see he'd want to fit in with their constraints.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My parents' neighbour does a similar job for an AFL club. It's highly controlled, fits in with a highly developed marketing strategy, and the numbers they get on what is generally pretty dull content shows ridiculously high engagement.

So considering he's doing it for free, they don't need to bring him inside the tent, plus I can't see he'd want to fit in with their constraints.
I'd like to see him get access to higher quality footage and more recent footage without having to worry about the legal iron fist coming down on him. Agree I wouldn't want to see him to actually come under their umbrella and get sanitized.

truedemon

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
would hope so! CA is cash strapped NSW boys club still clinging on to past times of the glory days of Richie and tony greig

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
can we update the topic title, Bareth Garry ?

what I'd love to know is how much footage from 80s/90s (and prior) of cricket has been saved, and is it just the 1 hour highlights packages they used to air at late nights?

STFU Donnie

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton
Just watching that Marshall video. I loved Benaud, but the one thing that did sh-t me off about his commentary was his constant (and I do mean constant) whinging about the front foot no-ball law. FCS, it had been around for 30 years (at the time of the footage on the video), plenty of time for bowlers to have adapted. I just found it incredible that he could never come to terms with the fact that every no-ball was the fault of the bowler. Not the umpire. Not the administrators.

Anyway, rant over.

fightingfury_88

Premium Platinum
Oct 28, 2010
Bendigo
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
For anyone that's interested in a little of Rob Moody's background, there is a one on one interview with him on the 'No Dunks' podcast. It released a few months ago now and it's an enjoyable listen for cricket fans.

k31th

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-F|NHL-F|V8|F1
For anyone that's interested in a little of Rob Moody's background, there is a one on one interview with him on the 'No Dunks' podcast. It released a few months ago now and it's an enjoyable listen for cricket fans.

that was a fantastic listen.
this one doesn't require you to sign up to listen:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom