Rolling Flag Contenders 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney, Cats, GWS, Carlton, Pies

Melbourne are legit.
They got very little out of Petracca and Gawn (until the 4th quarter) and just beat Geelong by sucking the life out of them.

Carlton are ordinary at mixing things up going forward. One of Lever or May could break the all-time marking intercept record on Thursday night.

Apologies if this is a double-up but all i can see is countless this team vs that team, so what about going broader?

As i see it i would rank in this order:

1. GWS - can win anywhere, no weakness in terms of mids / forwards / defence. Clear top pick
2 (equal) Sydney - Not been great the last 2 weeks but Grundy a big difference
2 (equal) Melbourne - can't help but feel it's their last big crack at it with ages of Gawn and May.
4 Carlton - Not playing that well but winning. Huge to have 2 in form key forwards and have good players to come back. Docherty a blow.
5 Port - midfield looks awesome. Disappointing against Melbourne although without JHF. Still have that september monkey on their back for now
6 Geelong - Look like they will win plenty at the cattery again and already a win in Adelaide. Too many oldies to put them higher - not confident they can all stay on the park
7 Collingwood - not played a really good game yet but pressure is back. Again their age isn't helpful but if they get to September you wouldn't want to play them
8 Lions - only this high because again if they get to september they have plenty of experience now. Likely to be 2-5 at best after the next 3 weeks which is a looooong way back
9 Suns - i reckon they are top 4 next year
10 all the others - think freo are much improved but wouldn't see them as a flag chance
Fair bit of water under the bridge since I claimed this!

Update as of now i would go

1. Sydney. Not convinced they are a Geelong of 2022 or Richmond 2019, but right now the only side not putting in a shocker every four weeks, and that means they are clear best
DAYLIGHT
2 (equal) Collingwood. Not convinced about them with some narrow wins but have a few outs. Pendlebury has somehow got better.
2 (equal) Giants - not giving up on them. Certainly lost their mojo.
GAP
4 Carlton - draw is about to open them up. A lot of players out. Precarious at 6-4 and the run of games they have, but i think they have that threat-factor with Curnow and McKay both in good form (overall) this year.
5 Port - not at all convinced about them. If Rozee is back though it's quite the potential midfield.
6 Melbourne - again no i am not convinced. forward line has perennial problems. Bad loss on the weekend. But again the midfield at his best plus gawn pretty damn good
6a Essendon - hard to see them winning it. but impossible to see them missing finals. all the ingredients for a finals win or two
7 Lions - think there is every chance we miss the finals, but IF we somehow string a few in a row from here i am ranking us at 7 with the finals-hardened aspect. It's not perfect but of the ACL replacements, Ah Chee for McCarthy and Zorko for Coleman is working okay. Ashcroft might be a big bonus.
8 Dogs - honestly who knows with this mob. their best seems quite good. Darcy breaking out. Richards looking like a good cog in the midfield
9 Cats - come at me cats fans. You beat us at the gabba. And a really good chance of top 4 still with the draw. I just can't see it. Hawkins looking spent. Stanley ditto. Dangerfield injuries becoming regular. Talent coming through and looks like you will well and truly avoid bottoming out (again) but a flag looks beyond them right not.
10 Freo - harsh maybe. they are decent. just a bit stodgy still.
11 suns - can't win away yet. not helpful

I look forward to being wrong again in 2 months :)

Last edited:

1. Sydney. Not convinced they are a Geelong of 2022 or Richmond 2019, but right now the only side not putting in a shocker every four weeks, and that means they are clear best
DAYLIGHT
2 (equal) Collingwood. Not convinced about them with some narrow wins but have a few outs. Pendlebury has somehow got better.
GAP
4 Carlton - draw is about to open them up. A lot of players out. Precarious at 6-4 and the run of games they have, but i think they have that threat-factor with Curnow and McKay both in good form (overall) this year.
5 Port - not at all convinced about them. If Rozee is back though it's quite the potential midfield.
6 Melbourne - again no i am not convinced. forward line has perennial problems. Bad loss on the weekend. But again the midfield at his best plus gawn pretty damn good
7 Lions - think there is every chance we miss the finals, but IF we somehow string a few in a row from here i am ranking us at 7 with the finals-hardened aspect. It's not perfect but of the ACL replacements, Ah Chee for McCarthy and Zorko for Coleman is working okay. Ashcroft might be a big bonus.
8 Dogs - honestly who knows with this mob. their best seems quite good. Darcy breaking out. Richards looking like a good cog in the midfield
9 Cats - come at me cats fans. You beat us at the gabba. And a really good chance of top 4 still with the draw. I just can't see it. Hawkins looking spent. Stanley ditto. Dangerfield injuries becoming regular. Talent coming through and looks like you will well and truly avoid bottoming out (again) but a flag looks beyond them right not.

At this stage start of round 11 we are way way ahead of Geelong 2022 and Richmond 2019.

A more accurate comparison would be Geelong of 2019 they also were 9-1 with a similar percentage.

DAYLIGHT
GAP

I noticed there isn't any Essendon here, and they are 2nd on the ladder at the moment.

I won't be confident of the Swans being in premiership contention until a week after Sydney have won the grand final by 80 points.

Halfway through Melb v WCE, Squiggle season predictor was forecasting Bulldogs to finish 8th but go on to beat Sydney in the GF, which is quite the troll for an algorithm.

In fairness, Squiggle just looks drunk now.
Currently tipping Blues to finish 8th and miss finals, while Dees (5th) beat Gee (2nd) in the first final...

1716189200121.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halfway through Melb v WCE, Squiggle season predictor was forecasting Bulldogs to finish 8th but go on to beat Sydney in the GF, which is quite the troll for an algorithm.

Currently tipping Blues to finish 8th and miss finals, while Dees (5th) beat Gee (2nd) in the first final...

View attachment 1995145

Sydney finishing 1st, making the Grand Final but losing to the team that finished 8th in the H&A season would be such a Sydney thing to do.

View attachment 1995145
It sounds like you've lost respect for the Squiggle

View attachment 1995145
Is the algorithm umpiring that GF ?

Agree; and I don’t trust the Swans to get the job done in a grand final.
We are still a World away from even making a GF. Having said that if we were playing Collingwood in say 4 weeks at the SCG or even the MCG would be very confident we would win. Playing Collingwood at the MCG GF day would have my house on Collingwood. Anybody else we would redeem ourselves of the 2022 & 2014 disasters. Once again nothing is guaranteed at rd 10. Aiming for top 4 would be a start.

DAYLIGHT
GAP

Mostly agree with this. Think you might be underselling the Cats slightly. Surprised you still have us that high tbh (I'm grateful for the vote of confidence while my own hope is shaky).

View attachment 1995145
I can only assume that Squiggle is predicting Carlton breach the salary cap again and that’s why Freo play finals from 9th place?

View attachment 1995145
Also, Essendon out after 1 final, which is the squiggles way of trolling us, despite us finishing 4th and earning the double chance.

Oh looking again those finals don’t correlate at all with the final ladder. Computers, you can’t trust them.

At this stage start of round 11 we are way way ahead of Geelong 2022 and Richmond 2019.

A more accurate comparison would be Geelong of 2019 they also were 9-1 with a similar percentage.
yeah i guess the examples of geelong and richmond are better in hindsight.

Richmond and Geelong references were more about how they won the flag with a leg in the air in the end. Geelong is probably the team more than any other in recent seasons in which during the second half of the year they just looked bullet-proof, albeit that final against the pies was very close.

to be fair i did put swans then daylight! i don't see them as intimidating yet. perhaps that will just come with more wins.

We are still a World away from even making a GF. Having said that if we were playing Collingwood in say 4 weeks at the SCG or even the MCG would be very confident we would win. Playing Collingwood at the MCG GF day would have my house on Collingwood. Anybody else we would redeem ourselves of the 2022 & 2014 disasters. Once again nothing is guaranteed at rd 10. Aiming for top 4 would be a start.
Kind thing to say, but I think you underestimate Grundy. He has played beautifully against us both times we've met since we cashed him out- that was all about the cap space, 0% about his ability.

If Tay Tay gets fit (and he's a real professional so I expect you'll see him in finals) you'll see what the fuss was about. Adams never plays 22 games, but you get 15 bloody good hard games out of him.

Kind thing to say, but I think you underestimate Grundy. He has played beautifully against us both times we've met since we cashed him out- that was all about the cap space, 0% about his ability.

If Tay Tay gets fit (and he's a real professional so I expect you'll see him in finals) you'll see what the fuss was about. Adams never plays 22 games, but you get 15 bloody good hard games out of him.
We're already starting to see how good Adams is. I knew he was a good extractor but I didn't realise how quick he is over 5 to 10 metre bursts. He's a big reason our pressure game has gone through the roof this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back