Toast Rookie - #Pick 3 - Welcome to Carlton Matt Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart enough pick up. Will perform very well at VFL level, midfield depth in A grade, good tank and his best and upside is much better than Nick Graham so an upgrade there, and costs a song.

Graham, ACOS, Shaw, Lobbe, Kerridge, Rowe, O'Shea, Phillips

You can probably add Thomas, Mullett, Macreadie to the mix.

Northern Blues to win the flag

I thought we have plenty of these types but what would I know, in the end it is in SOS that we trust

Would be nice to allow at least until the season starts before we slag him off
Bloke gets drafted to the club and we welcome him with a thread full of "you're a s**t nobody"

Well done BF Carlton supporters. Well done. Classy stuff.
On a positive note - it is an emerging factoid ( for me anyway) that SOS's lower picks are producing WAY OVER cost and risk - which means Carlton is way ahead on this part of its portfolio - think Williamson/McCreadie/Pickett ( who was steaknives to Marchbank really) now add Alex Sylvagni when he played/Jones who has resurrected his career (Bolton's words btw), Wright, and Lamb - all consistent starting players - Mullett/Shaw/Lang/O'Sheah should not surprise anyone if they forced their way into the starting 22.

I see pressure for position massively improved YoY right now. Shaw is just another example of being given a second chance - for low cost and potential high return all the new players are much better than 'just' depth or VFL players - for Carlton. great to see. All these so called second chancers or low pick types will keep the better fancied younger 'potentials' on their toes and fighting for a spot - rather than just cruising.

Welcome Mr Shaw I hope you get a second wind and play the best football you have in you at Carlton - a couple of wing spots up for grabs to start with.

Welcome to the best club in the game Matt.

Hope to see you in the senior team at some stage. Help the kids in the two's learn what it takes to make it in the seniors and protect them until they are ready.

Underwhelming welcome to the club by some arrogant "supporters", ignorant of his deeds at he Gold Coast.
Gold Coast was a very talented and promising side for it's first few years. Living in Qld, I have taken particular
interest in their players and development. Shaw is no mug, and in a better development environment, he would
be much higher regarded by the "learned" individuals on here.
If you take the time to read his bio on Footywire it alludes to the double edged sword of Matt Rosa's arrival at the
Suns. While Shaw lost his spot to the prominent former West Coast winger, he alludes to the learning process
having previously lacked mentorship of any kind in regard to wing play. A pretty sad indictment on the club, not
on Shaw.
I was regularly surprised at the potential he showed in the first couple of years and the apparent stagnation of
his talents. Recent events have been enlightening. The young man may just surprise us all in a strong development
environment. On face value it is easy to surmise he has been recruited as depth, I very much doubt that is the case.
When a bloke laments his lack of direction and suitable coaching/mentorship, it is difficult to fathom the armchair
experts tagging him as an on field coach/mentor for the kids.
Depth maybe, but pretty sure SOS sees unfulfilled potential. Going to be a tough gig cementing a best 22 spot in
our developing team chock full of talent, but be advised he is here for his talents and potential. Diamond in the rough.

Take your chances Matt, no free rides for the kids, let's see if you can find a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a good amount of games and in his prime age wise, whether he plays seniors is another question, that will come down to form of young players and injuries. He'll be handy if he plays.

On a positive note - it is an emerging factoid ( for me anyway) that SOS's lower picks are producing WAY OVER cost and risk - which means Carlton is way ahead on this part of its portfolio - think Williamson/McCreadie/Pickett ( who was steaknives to Marchbank really) now add Alex Sylvagni when he played/Jones who has resurrected his career (Bolton's words btw), Wright, and Lamb - all consistent starting players - Mullett/Shaw/Lang/O'Sheah should not surprise anyone if they forced their way into the starting 22.

I see pressure for position massively improved YoY right now. Shaw is just another example of being given a second chance - for low cost and potential high return all the new players are much better than 'just' depth or VFL players - for Carlton. great to see. All these so called second chancers or low pick types will keep the better fancied younger 'potentials' on their toes and fighting for a spot - rather than just cruising.

Welcome Mr Shaw I hope you get a second wind and play the best football you have in you at Carlton - a couple of wing spots up for grabs to start with.

Good post

In isolation he is a very good pick up, especially for we what was given up.

Personally i am confused as to why we have selected him and O'Shea, after adding Mullett. Perhaps 2 of them would have suffice while taking another untapped talentef young kid. Time will tell if they are more than just short term options

Good post

In isolation he is a very good pick up, especially for we what was given up.

Personally i am confused as to why we have selected him and O'Shea, after adding Mullett. Perhaps 2 of them would have suffice while taking another untapped talentef young kid. Time will tell if they are more than just short term options

They are all different types of players and looking at our list we have a crap load of kids already.

When a bloke laments his lack of direction and suitable coaching/mentorship, it is difficult to fathom the armchair
experts tagging him as an on field coach/mentor for the kids.
Kid has played over 100 games in a club with a thrown together list of players from everywhere plus a heap of kids. If he cannot use that experience to help the kids to find their feet at our club that has turned over 40+ players in three years, even while fighting for a spot in our 22 himself, I would be pretty disappointed with our selection.

Well said.

I think this and the O'Shea and Mullet etc picks is as much about simply changing the face of the list as anything else. Sometimes you've got to open the windows and just change the whole smell of a room. Get the stench out. It's been there too long. Some of these smells just weren't helping us. We knew it. Time for a new breeze, fresh air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back