Status
Not open for further replies.

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
And could stay out given the risk of playing footy atm and having a young baby you might pass it on to.
(The 0-5 age bracket higher incidence of developing severe covid19 than older kids - in study just released - though not a huge study in numbers).

If we are running and gunning I'd rather have had Clarke in the team than Ronke - at least he runs to the right places continually.
Particularly with a premmie, the lung development would have been impaired. Much higher risk of lung infections early years.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree but they did it from the first bounce
They clearly came prepared to go and had won the game after 15 minutes. Took the foot off and cruised the rest of the game, then turned it on at the end when the score started to get too close. Sign of a good team when you can win like that.

With a young team we need guys like Rampe, Mills, Kennedy, Parker, Papley and Heeney to stand up and take control of their areas from the get go.

The extra runner will mean bugger all if the Crows tall defenders pick off the ball in the air.

We need more runners through the middle so our normal inside bridgade aren't there all match long. Variety is everything

I don't even see why they couldn't all be in for the same centre bounce. They are three very different players. Kennedy is an inside clearence machine. Hewett and Parker are more versatile, Hewett can get his own ball or play a more shut down role, Parker has both an inside and an outside game.

I guess we see things differently then. I think they play a very similar style of footy and aren't really dangerous with it when they get it in there. Just how I see it.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I'd drop Hewett and play Parker 50/50 fwd/mid.
So... just to clarify...

You don't see a spot in our team for a player who has just turned 24 and managed to produce games like these at AFL level in the last couple of seasons:

22 possessions, 12 tackles, 5 clearences (Rd 15 2019)
29 possessions, 5 tackles, 9 clearences (Rd 9 2019)
34 possessions, 6 tackles, 7 clearences (Rd 7 2019)
24 possessions, 6 tackles, 12 clearences (Rd 23 2018)
25 possessions, 5 tackles, 10 clearences (Rd 20 2018)
20 possession, 7 tackles, 10 clearences (Rd 15 2018)
28 possession, 5 tackles, 10 clearences (Rd 10 2018)

And instead think we should build our midfield around a player who is 18 and has never played at AFL level before?

Did Hewett run over your dog or something?

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
So... just to clarify...

You don't see a spot in our team for a player who has just turned 24 and managed to produce games like these at AFL level in the last couple of seasons:

22 possessions, 12 tackles, 5 clearences (Rd 15 2019)
29 possessions, 5 tackles, 9 clearences (Rd 9 2019)
34 possessions, 6 tackles, 7 clearences (Rd 7 2019)
24 possessions, 6 tackles, 12 clearences (Rd 23 2018)
25 possessions, 5 tackles, 10 clearences (Rd 20 2018)
20 possession, 7 tackles, 10 clearences (Rd 15 2018)
28 possession, 5 tackles, 10 clearences (Rd 10 2018)

And instead think we should build our midfield around a player who is 18 and has never played at AFL level before?

Did Hewett run over your dog or something?

That's correct, Hewett has peaked and his impact is ineffectual on the game each week. Yes also to Warner, exactly the style of play that we need in the engine room.

That's correct, Hewett has peaked and his impact is ineffectual on the game each week. Yes also to Warner, exactly the style of play that we need in the engine room.

Even if he's not capable of enforcing that style of play because he's nowhere near ready?

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Writing off the possibility for improvement from a 24 year old who has improved each year of his career to this point... doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe you are right, but I really don't see how you can have such high and low expectations of Warner and Hewett respectively based on exposed ability and output at this point.

I am pleased we have not gone with two rucks. Sinkers lacks the mobility needed for tall forwards. In shortened quarters it is not worth playing him to provide a 2-3 minute chop-out per quarter for Naismith.

Doubtless, McCartin will play forward and he Blakey and Heeney will be the targets in the air. Each bring a lot of mobility. At some stage I would not be surprised to see Dawson spend time as a high HF.

I am really hoping Ronke re-discovers his timing and ability to read the play and that Haylist has sorted out the yips from last season.

This time last year we were playing Clarke and Thurlow. Gray (definitely), Taylor (probably) and Brand (hopefully) are upgrades. Unfortunately Melican proved to be a great disappointment last year and I am hopeful the taller Brand has a bit more know-how.

I am delighted McInerney has another opportunity. After a less than auspicious debut last year, he went back to the NEAFL and did a lot of hard work at the inside contest.

A shortened season and game time may help our young players. I am cautiously optimistic about how we will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back