Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh we’ll be fine. Beat ourselves today more than they did.

Interested to see what we change in regard to team balance, whether Phillips comes in for a mid to release Sicily a bit more to free roam. He was beaten but he looked like he was struggling to play his own way due to the necessity of needing talls deep.

Our mid transition first half was great, even right up till 3 qtr time we found ways to work it. This is part of the game so many teams struggle with. We know we are a great CTR bounce team but today, terribly below our own standard.

Frustrating to lose to this piss ass mob but we’re gonna play some good footy
Essendon are bottom 6. We lost

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

I wish I could be that optimistic but I don’t think it’s just a case of kicking straight. Goldstein’s domination with the centre hit outs showed we don’t have much of a clue when Ned doesn’t win the initial tap. The amount of times Essendon seemingly waltzed through the back of the circle was insane, it was like Moses parting the Red Sea, just waltz on through.
Must be a major focus during the week. Nash and Newk having poor games didn’t help in that respect. Unless Nash is throwing his weight around, using his size to our advantage, he can be a liability.
As far as winning this game goes, it is that simple. No question we had other issues we also need to address before we can contend, but that was a game we let slip through our own fault

Memo to Ginnivan:

You’re a small forward, so your job is in this order
1. Chase, harass, tackle and annoy the opposition to try to cause turnovers
2. Link up with other Hawks, giving the ball to a teammate in a better position than you
3. Kick the odd goal

Try to wash the Collingwood stink out - it may take some time …

Really? On our Collingwood board the word is he is doing very well in his first game. There are more than a few people unhappy about trading him.

Really? On our Collingwood board the word is he is doing very well in his first game. There are more than a few people unhappy about trading him.

Ginnivan was excellent today.

Over the years Davo23 has demonstrated time and time again he has the most baffling opinions on BigFooty. Ignore him.

I've given it a red hot crack myself, but you just can't compete with that kind of natural talent.

Last edited:
Are we gonna have to hear about Tim English after every game this year? We’ve not been linked to him, aren’t chasing him and not speaking with him. Our priorities are kpps.
Maybe getting English isn't feasible but I don't think it's unusual that we comment on the perceived lack of development in our number 1 ruck (Reeves) and number 2 ruck (Meek).

I want to see how Reeves responds against Gawn next week. As we all know Gawn has made us his bunny for a long time so it will be a good reference marker to see where Ned is at.

You seem to think Ned is going to be best in the business. I know you've gone to far with this argument, but please keep embarrassing yourself then delete the thread

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I know you bring nothing to any discussion when occasionally deciding to join in, but that doesn’t mean I need to delete the thread because you just keep coming back to post about Reeves.

Just got home feeling flat of course. We were competitive for most of the game. Bombers accuracy kicking for goal from 40 out not far out from the boundary line won’t happen most weeks while we couldn’t get many from the same spots ….. that’s football.

Unlike watching it on TV going to a game you get a good perspective of the entire ground but my biggest beefs from today:

We kicked it to many times to a 2 scum contest with no Hawks player in sight or a 3 scum to one Hawk contest even when we weren’t under pressure.

Not taking the first best option to move it up the ground 20 or 30 metres to open up the game/angles. We would wait for a better option like wtf it only gave Bombers players time to move back and cover the holes. Then we kicked it to a contest only to see it come back the other way resulting in scum goals. Boys need to sit down and watch the Swans game last night to understand the importance of doing this. Like an animal in the jungle you sit idle you will get hunted and killed. Too slow boys you gotta keep moving always. When we did do this it looked great.

And not executing the basics. To many times an easy handball to a team mate would end up at the feet, behind the running player or over their head. It’s bread and butter stuff and it shouldn’t be discussed! Anyone that does this each time needs to do an extra 50 push ups at Monday night training just to get it into their heads.

Having said all this still have a strong belief with our young list if we consistently get the above things right we will be competitive every week. Also bit disappointed with our big fellas thought Chol did ok but Reeves and Lewis need to throw their weight around a lot more. Be more aggressive ffs look in the mirror and realise how big you are. Goldy seriously!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives
  • Forward line and ball movement generated 28 scores from 57 inside 50s
  • Mass and Gini
  • Thought Impey was decent today too.

Negatives
  • Kicking for goal from senior players in particular
  • Sicily, Lewis and Newcombe
  • Centre clearances 18 to 9 (plus they kicked 3-5 goals walking out the middle. Defensive midfield intent???\
  • Finn as sub. Bizarre.

Figure Chol was taking off as he was cramping bad in the third. Otherwise odd decision as we lacked forward structure after that. Nash was okay as relief ruck.

Everyone keeps saying McKay smashed us. No. Our midfield smashed us.
I could walk into any game vs our midfield and put up a fight as a defender.
Slow and high balls do not work, and never have.
I agree, defenders should never be talking intercept marks. Essendon didn't allow Sicily to we shouldn't have allowed McKay.

If a defender is taking intercept marks also some of them uncontested it's because either.

1. The kicks going in are horrendous.

2. The forward is not getting separation

3. The forward is not making a contest.

If Mitch Lewis is going to be our key forward he needs to bring the ball to ground if he can't mark it. Wasn't all his fault as many many times our players f50 idea was to simply kick it as far as possible and not actually trying to kick to anyone. Weddle,worpel and Newcombe guilty of this. MacDonald you could see didn't blaze away and tried to force a lead.

Great to be back at the footy for another year and a beaut day weather-wise for it!
A shame about the end result but a heck of a lot better than this time last year where we were smashed to smithereens.
The main disappointment was no one had the foresight to set up spike tracks along the boundary so the cars chauffeuring the '84 * team would blow their tyres.

Ginni and Mass looked great; Chol took some nice marks (didn't understand the sub-off?) and was handy once his kicking straightened up; great to see Gunston again in his rightful colours - hopefully he has his boots on the right feet next week. Moore slotted some nice goals and thrilled he's recovered from his bout of glanduar fever so quickly.
Was hardly aware of Sic or Lewis today which was surprising, but with Phillips not named Sic was probably required to play more defensively. Wasn't overly aware of Newk smashing it up in the middle either like he often does so unsure if he was beaten or I just couldn't see from the GA seats which were only a fraction closer to the ground than a seat at Marvel would have been...!

Go Hawks!

As many have already mentioned it was a strange old game.

I found it difficult to make out mids at times from where I was sitting on level 4, however what was really evident was how good our ball movement was at stages, but also how badly we were shown up in the hunt. The bombers players consistently outnumbered us 3 v 1, 4 v 1 and 5 v 2 at the ground balls.

We were also very obviously gassed late in the third quarter, the score was tight but I knew it was over.

We had a lot of players have moments they'd not like to see on replay as they short stepped contests, this has to be addressed by the coaching staff but it doesn't help when your leaders (not including Moore obviously) are culprits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back