Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game yesterday. Obviously disappointed not to get the win. There were obviously areas where we did well other that we struggled in however it is undeniable that goal kicking accuracy was the difference between the two teams. The conditions were perfect for goal kicking. Essendon won't be that accurate for the rest of the season and we won't miss as many gettable goals. That was the ball game. To reinforce it further the stat I follow closely is marks inside 50. If you are moving the ball well as a team this number reflects that. We won that comfortably and if we kicked better, we would have won. Objectively our forward group is far superior to what we had last year - 28 scoring shots. Big tick.

Other than goal kicking the centre bounce clearances was the other obvious contributing factor. Last year we were good in this area, and I expect this issue to be addressed as with the 6-6-6 rule it is crucial to at least break even. If you don't as with the dog’s game this is where the run ons come from and good sides don't let happen very often. We really need Will Day's foot to come good. Having him in the side means the opposition can’t sit on Newk. Also, Nash had a poor day and based on last year he will also improve. Worpel hasn't missed a beat from last year. Finn is a tagger so either tag or VFL. HH would have been preferable as we fumbled alot which he doesn't do.

Importantly our defence did okay - especially with Sicily having a completely ineffective afternoon. We got alot of goals which started from defence and played a big part in the inside 50's stat.
Finally, as noted by everyone of our recruits did really well. Can’t understand anyone criticising Chol yesterday. He should have kicked 4 straight. He needs to build his tank but i think we should swap him and Lewis and both of them will be better for it.
Great summary👍

One of the most overrated footballer of the 21st century.

Debuted at the beginning of a dynasty.

Only 1 Coleman and 2 All Australian jumpers, both less than Jack Reiwoldt if you want a comparison.

Had so many head knocks that he talks crap half the time.

Not worth listening to IMO.

You are joking? Aren't you?

Frost was great. Not getting enough credit. Thought Wright was going to kick 10 when I saw him line up on him. Good to see all the new guys like Ginni, Chol, D'Ambrosio make a impact. Excited for the year!

Reeves needs to lift. Yet again, offered nothing other than the odd good tap.
Again that’s the other problem we have. We are a man down once the ball leaves the middle. Reeves is a statue. I wonder when the club has breaking point for him? 100 games? Would love to know his rate of improvement with his running YOY. I suspect it’s going ok. Fast fwd another 3 seasons and he’s prob a lot better and as a stronger side we are controlling games more and he can run and get in better spots as he is always late to the contest at present.

You are joking? Aren't you?

Probably could have left off 'not worth listening to'.

But he was the 'prototypical' footballer during his career. You'd hear it and read about it all the time.
The thing you didn't read about or hear about were his down patches. Avoided scrutiny his entire career because he was the bloke everyone wanted to have a beer with.

Jack Reiwoldt, by comparison, was never uttered in the same breath as the 'legendary' Jono Brown. He then quietly went and eclipsed the man's career.

Reiwoldt is criminally underrated or Brown is overrated. Take your pick.

Laughable that Sicily got suspended. Just ridiculous.
Nah, probably fair enough... can't kick people, no matter the impact.

**Editing this due to my comment re: impact... I feel any act like that is deserving of a match. Grading wise, it was probably low impact and should be a fine.

Last edited:

**Editing this due to my comment re: impact... I feel any act like that is deserving of a match. Grading wise, it was probably low impact and should be a fine.
Except that you can. They wouldn't have graded the impact medium if "no matter the impact" was a thing..

But he was the 'prototypical' footballer during his career. You'd hear it and read about it all the time.
The thing you didn't read about or hear about were his down patches. Avoided scrutiny his entire career because he was the bloke everyone wanted to have a beer with.

Jack Reiwoldt, by comparison, was never uttered in the same breath as the 'legendary' Jono Brown. He then quietly went and eclipsed the man's career.

When he was the main man up forward once Lynch retired they made the finals once

When he was the main man up forward once Lynch retired they made the finals once
I always thought that Daniel Bradshaw was underrated at the Lions.

He played third fiddle behind Lynch and Brown but that guy had a vice like set of mitts on him. Beautiful kick for goal as well.

I always thought that Daniel Bradshaw was underrated at the Lions.

He played third fiddle behind Lynch and Brown but that guy had a vice like set of mitts on him. Beautiful kick for goal as well.

No bullshit or fuss either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*edited....forget all that (drunk wrestling exposition for those who missed it before edit..)...watched again...yeah, he threw the foot at him after the throw/topple motion. LOL.

Last edited:
I've only watched the first half but Sam Frost deserves credit.

I think they were both brilliant key forwards and worth every bit of praise that comes their way for how they played the game.

Same as Roughead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back