Game Day Round 1 - Melbourne v Fremantle - MCG - Saturday 20th, 1.45pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be real here. I'll over analyze this game at some point but the midfield owes the defence a bazillion beers.
Probably the best I've seen our defence in 15 years. May and Lever almost single handedly saved us

21300 in attendance. Pathetic.
Why pathetic mate?

I'm going to say Melbourne would have one of the oldest supporter bases in the comp. As well placed as the covid battle in Vic is, there are still a lot of people 40-50+ who aren't that keen on leaving home until vaccinated etc.

I know myself and a few melb supporting friends who didn't go (work or the likes) but hopefully get there over the next few games.

I'd say the fact our membership has hit over 40k is a better indication of where support is at the moment. It's not 2019 round 1 levels, but it's not a whole lot behind.

Good to see us control and win a game whilst getting smashed in clearance.

Thought our role players were decent. May and Lever were absolutely huge. Lever was everywhere and May was a rock.

Tmac moved really well and could have had 4 if he kicked the gimmies.

Kozz is electric, nearly every time he touched it he made something happen. Defenders s**t themselves when hes around them.

Even though our midfield got well beaten as a unit, i liked that we rolled Jordon/Koz/ANB through there.

Trac was fumbly and often tried to do too much. Still a scary matchup even when hes a touch off.

So much improvement still to come. Liked the way we defended the G and moved the ball 90% of the time.

Gawn needs to cash in against lesser rucks

So good to be back at the G

Why pathetic mate?

I'm going to say Melbourne would have one of the oldest supporter bases in the comp. As well placed as the covid battle in Vic is, there are still a lot of people 40-50+ who aren't that keen on leaving home until vaccinated etc.

I know myself and a few melb supporting friends who didn't go (work or the likes) but hopefully get there over the next few games.

I'd say the fact our membership has hit over 40k is a better indication of where support is at the moment. It's not 2019 round 1 levels, but it's not a whole lot behind.

Nah mate that's a huge worry, 20 years from now we have no supporter base because they all pass away. Numbers for membership dont mean s**t. Especially if a bunch of rich people are buying 10s of tickets to help support the club

Why pathetic mate?

So if you want to base people not going based on older supporter base, then find some numbers or I get to dismiss it as quickly as you assert it.

Ticketek allocated nearly all of the 45000 available seats. It means members booked their tickets and didn't show up.

After 18 months of no footy and we still barely crack 20k, we wont be around in 20 years unless we win about 16 flags.

Just got back from the game, few observations.
s**t game, nobody can kick, we only won because our defence is god tier and Freo were bad.
The future is very bright. Tempted to change my name to ILoveKozzie, keeping this pfp forever. Kozzie and Jordon were unbelievable. Jackson's pack mark late was beautiful, Rivers stood up whenever he was challenged. Sparrow had a real crack.

May and Lever and Tomlinson are insanely good, they carry us so hard.

Our mids were garbage, mainly as a result of Max getting bodied by big boy Meek. Oliver had the worst 35 touch game ever, Tracc was pretty good though.
Worst game I've ever seen Gawn play, let's hope he can do better next week against a 2nd gamer and the week after against a 3rd gamer.

But hey, we won so I'm happy.

I thought we did well to get 25 scoring shots in. Freo work really hard defensively and Longmuir has them well drilled. They might not win many games but they’ll trouble a few teams We just couldn’t get going from the clearances today.
I thought some of our kicking was ok. We moved the ball well
At times. The backline was great. May and Lever work so well together now. And Jetta played his best game for a long time.
Kozzy just makes things happen. He is so dangerous every time he goes near it.
like the look of Jordon to. Doesn’t look out of place.
Spargo played a good game and is quiet clever forward of centre.
Tmac played his best game for a long time to.
The midfield couldn’t get going at the clearances but we did ok around the ground. Clarry is a beast and get no favours from the umps. Gets held at every stoppage. But he soldiers on and sets up so much.
We certainly should have one by more but I’m happy to get the win away and move on to next week.

I thought we did well to get 25 scoring shots in. Freo work really hard defensively and Longmuir has them well drilled. They might not win many games but they’ll trouble a few teams We just couldn’t get going from the clearances today.
I thought some of our kicking was ok. We moved the ball well
At times. The backline was great. May and Lever work so well together now. And Jetta played his best game for a long time.
Kozzy just makes things happen. He is so dangerous every time he goes near it.
like the look of Jordon to. Doesn’t look out of place.
Spargo played a good game and is quiet clever forward of centre.
Tmac played his best game for a long time to.
The midfield couldn’t get going at the clearances but we did ok around the ground. Clarry is a beast and get no favours from the umps. Gets held at every stoppage. But he soldiers on and sets up so much.
We certainly should have one by more but I’m happy to get the win away and move on to next week.
It was actually really cool to be there live to see this kid play. Closest thing would be Jurrah, and maybe Farmer/Davey back a bit further. The excitement when he is near the ball or opponent is awesome to feel live at the G. Couldn't experience that last year, but was awesome to be there for it today. Will be great to be there at a packed big game when he's on. Will be something to see..

It was actually really cool to be there live to see this kid play. Closest thing would be Jurrah, and maybe Farmer/Davey back a bit further. The excitement when he is near the ball or opponent is awesome to feel live at the G. Couldn't experience that last year, but was awesome to be there for it today. Will be great to be there at a packed big game when he's on. Will be something to see..
Agree. Was there live today and every time he goes near it you know somethings going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see us control and win a game whilst getting smashed in clearance.

Thought our role players were decent. May and Lever were absolutely huge. Lever was everywhere and May was a rock.

Tmac moved really well and could have had 4 if he kicked the gimmies.

Kozz is electric, nearly every time he touched it he made something happen. Defenders sh*t themselves when hes around them.

Even though our midfield got well beaten as a unit, i liked that we rolled Jordon/Koz/ANB through there.

Trac was fumbly and often tried to do too much. Still a scary matchup even when hes a touch off.

So much improvement still to come. Liked the way we defended the G and moved the ball 90% of the time.

Gawn needs to cash in against lesser rucks

So good to be back at the G
Mate, he could have and maybe should have had 4 goals to quarter time. Kicked one, missed a 10 metre in front gimme, and dropped 2 marks he should have taken all in the first. Been close to 2 years since I've seen him play live, and the confidence he has now and ability to move around the ground is vastly different to a couple of years ago. He is a bloody jet!

Agree. Was there live today and every time he goes near it you know somethings going to happen.
Absolute buzz from the crowd when he's in the vicinity of the ball. Was fun to watch actually. We've got some bloody fun players to watch atm. Langdon's run on the wing was amazing to see, Koz and the excitement he brings, Clarry's ability to win the ball and get to the next contest. Trac beast mode. May and Lever setting up the wall in defence. River's composure for such a young kid. Gawn's taps. It might have looked like a dour struggle on tv, but live it was fun to be there tbh. I get that it wasn't the prettiest of games, but live it felt a totally different experience. Partly helped we hadn't gone to a game in 18 months but we've got some fun players to watch tbh..

Let's be real here. I'll over analyze this game at some point but the midfield owes the defence a bazillion beers.
Probably the best I've seen our defence in 15 years. May and Lever almost single handedly saved us
May is just a good Jake Lever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back